Prevent your retirement visa in Thailand from expiring

webfact

My experience with the current version of online 90 day reporting is the window is 14 days before to 7 days before the reporting date. For example, my submission has been rejected when I've done it 16 days before, and it's been rejected when I've done it 5 days before. But it's been accepted when I've done it 9, 10, or 11 days before.

6 hours ago, Tookta said:

Online, you can report up to 14 days before due date. If you apply on the actual due date it's too late. Also you cannot apply up to 7 days after due date like you can if you were to go to immigration in person.

And where do you get YOUR information? From experience? No, you didn't. You should know better than to give wrong information to people. Look it up before you speak. I've been filing online for at least 2 years.  I just this month did my 90 day extension online on the exact due date and it was accepted and confirmed without problem. Given that, I seriously doubt that there is any problem doing this online within the 7 day grace period. It would serve no useful purpose for immigration to impose such a burden when the whole point of online reporting is to ease the burden and workload. But to anyone reading this, ask immigration, don't ask anyone here, you'll get as many different answers as there are members. And most will not be reliable, because most people really don't understand how the bureaucracy works. Attached emails are: The notice of due date sent to me on the due date; The receipt for my application online filed ON THE DUE DATE, and my notice of successful processing. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.10.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.10.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.10.50 PM.png

6 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Actually it is 15 days before.

Actually it is 1000 for a single entry

Actually the fine could increase to 5000

Absolute hogwash, scaremongering non-truth.

It would also appear that the article is talking about an extension of stay, not a visa.

All in all, a factually incorrect and misleading load of tosh.

There is also no mention of the fact a retirement visa is for 12 months and any reentry permit is only valid up to, and I believe not including, the expiry date of the visa. 

It is true that those on retirement status are on a one year lease.

Which means limited long term residency security if rules or personal circumstances change and no path to higher status.

The Thailand retirement scheme is very good and doable for most middle class foreigners.

But it's temporarility is its biggest downside.

Many other countries offer much better residency security to retired expats even paths to citizenship.

8 hours ago, Tookta said:

Online, you can report up to 14 days before due date. If you apply on the actual due date it's too late. Also you cannot apply up to 7 days after due date like you can if you were to go to immigration in person.

I just did my 90 day report this morning at the Kamphaeng Phet IO office, 2 days after the due date with no problem.

It can be done up to 7 days after. However from the 8th reporting day after there is a 2,000 baht fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I stopped reading after they had called it a “ retirement visa “ 4 times in the first paragraph !!

It’s almost like they don’t know the real name ??

Does it really matter what it is called?

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

The majority of people who have done the extension know the difference and don't really care. Only pedantic people care.

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks, but it is absolutely useless. image.thumb.png.8494bb2750173a5c55cf3dade0289c2d.png

Look at the scrollbar on the right-hand side of your screen.  It indicates there is more to be seen than can currently fit on the screen.  If you scroll down you will see the Apply link on the left-hand side.  That is the Apply you should click.

14 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Look at the scrollbar on the right-hand side of your screen.  It indicates there is more to be seen than can currently fit on the screen.  If you scroll down you will see the Apply link on the left-hand side.  That is the Apply you should click.

Thanks, but no such scrollbar. I realise the first two are for email but 3 & 4 which say Badge??????? Then there is phone number and the Captcha. 

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks, but no such scrollbar. I realise the first two are for email but 3 & 4 which say Badge??????? Then there is phone number and the Captcha. 

Clicking on the https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login link given earlier leads to the first screen below.  Clicking on the Apply link leads to the second screen.

2023-04-20.png

2023-04-20 (1).png

8 hours ago, BritScot said:

The reason we left Thailand in 2019 after nearly 9 years was due to uncertainty (changing rules on a whim with very little warning). The ever hanging threat of compolsory health insurance hanging over my head, the 400/800k being kept in a Thai bank etc. I learnt very early on I could buy a very nice suv, several big bikes as my health insurance which I could sell if needed (I never needed to). I reached an age that having to start again due to a change in circumstances was a risk I could not take. Best move we ever made returning to the UK. Children are very happy, education far better and free and even though the national health service is free my wife and children all have private health care for about 2,500  baht (£65) a month, compare that to Thai health insurance!!! A very wise man told me "Never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to walk away from". Yes I still have a house in Thailand, yes I still love Thailand and we just had a wonderful holiday there but we will never ever live there again.

I have made the same conclusion as you and almost the same reasons. 

17 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Clicking on the https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login link given earlier leads to the first screen below.  Clicking on the Apply link leads to the second screen.

2023-04-20.png

2023-04-20 (1).png

Sorry, doesn't work for me. It goes to that unintelligible screen.

Luckily my IO is only 40km away so a trip there is no problem. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barrydives said:

You also cannot apply online for your first 90 day report of any new visa,

That is not correct in respect of "any" visa although it may be for some. I came back on a new Non O visa in Aug and have only done 90 day online since then.

I have come in on a new visa several times and have done online for many years. It did used to be the case but they may have improved on that since they revamped the online system.

You have to bear in mind that the first extension on a new 90 day entry comes at the same time as the first 90 day report and no TM47 is required. The system may now see that first extension as a 90 day report in person.

Following my return on 26th August I did my first TM47 on 5th Feb online and 2nd on 4th April.

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry, doesn't work for me. It goes to that unintelligible screen.

Luckily my IO is only 40km away so a trip there is no problem. Thanks for the help.

Looks like you are on a laptop ?

Try it on your phone, maybe your browser is giving you the muddled message.

I get this on my iPhone:

5AA300E8-3873-4AF5-8166-370F874702DE.png

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I get this on my iPhone:

Thanks, I shall do. However I am on a W11 PC on a 55 inch screen using Edge..

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you have done the extension then you don’t have a visa anymore !!

Of course you do.

Visas become invalid, they don't disappear from your travel history.

They would soon come to the surface if you were suspected of belonging to terrorist organisation.

Once you enter the country the visa is no longer useable, an SE would become invalid and a ME could not be used unless you leave the country. Your visa status reflects how you entered the country or any changes made since.

You are certainly right in that the article wasn't written as well as it should have been.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I get this on my iPhone:

Thanks, yes it worked OK on my Bht 5000 phone, but not on my Bht 25000 PC, both using Edge. All up and running now. Cheers to you and the other guy who helped.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This permit essentially “freezes” your visa’s validity, allowing you to return to Thailand without having to reapply for a new retirement visa. With a re-entry permit, you can freely travel in and out of Thailand without worrying about jeopardizing your retirement visa status.

Really? It does not mention anything of the expiration date of the stay permit stamp. I used to believe that the re-entry right have to be used at least one few days before the end of stay permit date stamp in the passport and new extension will start at the same day as the end date of the last stay permit date. Sombody here knows the facts about this?