Accelerating melt of ice sheets now 'unmistakable'

onthedarkside

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not sure how fighting climate change does anything except cost money. 

You are correct. Fighting climate change has done nothing to slow much less reverse the trend. All it does it cost money, 

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The rich are the ones trying their hardest not to do anything. You know, like fossil fuel companies making record profits.

It is amusing how the party of the rich drives up the cost os fossil fuels and then moans about the increase in profits they are responsible for. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You are correct. Fighting climate change has done nothing to slow much less reverse the trend. All it does it cost money, 

It is amusing how the party of the rich drives up the cost os fossil fuels and then moans about the increase in profits they are responsible for. 

But for the fossil fuel industry the Republican party would barely exist.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The Democrats are the party of the rich? They're the ones who mostly favor tax breaks for billionaires? Are you reporting from an alternative universe?

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Renewables have saved 230 million tonnes of CO2 emissions so far in 2022

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/10/06/rise-of-renewable-energy-has-prevented-230-million-tonnes-of-co2-emissions-so-far-this-yea#:~:text=Renewables have saved 230 million tonnes of CO2 emissions so far in 2022,-Workers install solar&text=Renewables met all of the,a report from Ember shows.

• Like 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, you're right, I'll rephrase. 

It is amusing how the Democrats drive up the cost of fossil fuels and then moan about the increase in profits they are responsible for. 

Have the Democrats driven up the cost of fossil fuels?

The Real Reason Big Oil Won’t Save the U.S. from High Gas Prices

After years of losses prompted "capital discipline", oil companies are returning soaring profits to investors, not spending it on riskier new drilling projects.

https://www.google.com/search?q=investors+demand+fossil+fuel+companies+cut+back+on+drilling&oq=investors+demand+fossil+fuel+companies+cut+back+on+drilling&aqs=chrome..69i57.12775j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Big Oil Is Not Dancing To Government Tunes. Period.

Doing a 180-degree turn and redirecting more money to oil and gas exploration would definitely make some investors unhappy.
FT: Banks want oil companies to keep returning cash to shareholders instead of investing it in new production.
A turnaround in energy company spending strategies cannot be expected in the short term.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Big-Oil-Is-Not-Dancing-To-Government-Tunes-Period.html

• Like 1

Just now, roquefort said:

Ahh.....they're not 'experts' then.

The Federal Reserve allegedly employs 400 PhDs. It hasn't prevented them from ph..........g up the US economy.

Get back to me when economics is a science.

And no they're not experts. There's no reason to expect that they even have any serious acquaintance with the scientific literature. What's more, the source  you cited lied about their qualifications. It claimed they were climate scientists. And you trust such a source?

Just now, placeholder said:

Get back to me when economics is a science.

And no they're not experts. There's no reason to expect that they even have any serious acquaintance with the scientific literature. What's more, the source  you cited lied about their qualifications. It claimed they were climate scientists. And you trust such a source?

Is a clear definition of "Climate Scientist" available? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Is a clear definition of "Climate Scientist" available? 

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

In addition, recognized climate scientist can be identified by their diploma (at least a PhD in related subjects), their position (ex. tenure or direction of research teams), and their publications in high-ranked scientific journals.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 2:02 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

and does anyone think that it's stoppable now?

IMO no matter how many windmills they build and how many electric cars they sell, damage done.

Better start learning how to deal with the effects, rather than going to junkets in 5 star resorts to have a long chat about it.

Ask Elon Musk what his carbon footprints are 

Edited by still kicking

19 hours ago, ballpoint said:

More like "I'm ignorant, so why should I bother educating myself?"

As you are quoting a poster that quoted me I assume you are making a snide remark about me, which is trolling, but regardless of that, I'm quite aware of the issues, but I don't believe that anything being done presently will make any difference whatsoever, and there are a lot of people that claim to be concerned that don't act concerned. If Di Caprio and Al Gore don't care about it ( they apparently use private jets ) why should I?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

For our own sake, we need the money wheel running, if not Armageddon in the west. Time for us to team up, stay together instead of working against each other, and the more totalitarian states win! We are loosing the battle because of internal conflicts. 

A house divided shall not stand! Yes, but IMO we were doomed long ago so we might as well learn to speak Mandarin.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

If any of the people denying climate change and the disastrous consequences of it for future generations have children, I weep for your kids.

I did the single best thing I could have done as an individual to save the human race from the consequences of overpopulation, and had no children.

I weep for the children of parents that believe in man made climate change and do nothing to change it except demonstrate that other people have to "do something" ( without ever saying what they should do ), and carry on with their overseas holidays by air and suchlike.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

I was on a cruise ship around Greenland about 15 years ago....we sat and watched rivers of water pouring from the ice sheet into the sea....there was a speaker on board who showed satellite images going back several decades showing the massive amount of area that was bare rock year after year as the ice melted.  Anybody who sees that and still thinks melting icecaps is some liberal BS is totally full of BS.

The earth has always had the answers right in front of any who care to look around...there is enough sunlight hitting the earth every few hours to power all the human needs on the planet...there is wind that blows and blows to turn turbines....there are undersea currents like the gulf stream to turn more turbines as well as creeks and rivers for smaller but less costly turbines...we have geo thermal scattered around the world waiting to be tapped....BUT in the end humans and corporations decided to go with the cheap fossil fuels....Jimmy Carter was ridiculed when he sat in the oval office in 1979 during the Arab oil embargo because he dared to propose that we make the investments to get off the oil nipple...he put solar panels on top of the white house as a symbol that we needed to get with sustainable energy....the first thing Reagan did when he moved into the white house was to remove them...carter was a nuclear physists who was before his time..just imagine if the US had made a massive commitment in 1979 similar to Kennedy's put a man on the moon...the usa would have led the world in the development of solar/wind/ geo etc and the world would have flooded the USA with $$ to buy what we developed and most likely we would have not gotten involved in all the wars and terror (what is the price tag on that?) and BS of sucking up to the middle east to get their oil....but of course most Republicans and many dems were too sucked into the big oil $$ to do the right thing....now most dems have come around while the republicans still want to pretend that all is just fine....we and the rest of the world will be paying a massive price for this stupidity for decades to come back....just the rising sea levels will ultimately require many cities to either move or be under water....changing weather patterns will threaten crops worldwide...

And of course there are still millions of people who don't grasp the difference between weather and climate change and refuse to admit the obvious that humans need to stop burning dead plants for power....while it is probably too late to stop much of the coming damage the stupidity to say oh it's too late to do anything  so just let the next generations deal with it is similar to what Carter tried his best to fight as he was scoffed at....stupid is as stupid does as Forrest Gump wisely opined.

A nice and concerned guy he may have been but Carter was not a nuclear physicist.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

Even if your comment about your friends is true, who cares? This is about the science. Not about the behavior of your alleged friends or the behavior of world leaders. 

Comments like yours have nothing to do with the overwhelming evidence of the increasing pace of the melting of the ice sheets on Greenland and the Antarctic.

If man made climate change were real, the hypocrisy of people virtue signalling about it while simultaneously contributing to it would very much be relevant.

I suspect you are exactly the type of person who spouts off about it on internet forums but does little in the real world to address it. 

Or is your electric car charged by the solar panels on the roof of your eco farm? My farm is organic, how about yours?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, it IS about the behavior of those who preach doom and gloom. When the alarmists start living and behaving as if they actually BELIEVE what they are peddling, then I may take them more seriously.  In the meantime, they are just so much hot air.

The issue is not what activists (on both sides) may say or do, but what scientific research is showing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

If man made climate change were real, the hypocrisy of people virtue signalling about it while simultaneously contributing to it would very much be relevant.

I suspect you are exactly the type of person who spouts off about it on internet forums but does little in the real world to address it. 

Or is your electric car charged by the solar panels on the roof of your eco farm? My farm is organic, how about yours?

How would their hypocrisy be relevant to the science.

As for the rest of what you wrote, once again when someone has nothing germane to answer with, they try to make it personal.

This topic about the scientific evidence that Greennalands and Antarctica's sheets are melting. Not about details of my home life.

You've got nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, it IS about the behavior of those who preach doom and gloom. When the alarmists start living and behaving as if they actually BELIEVE what they are peddling, then I may take them more seriously.  In the meantime, they are just so much hot air.

Share with me how the increased rate of melting of the ice sheets is about the behavior of those who prophesy doom and gloom.

As for doom and gloom, get back to me when you acquaint yourself with the IPCC's report on remediation and adaptation.

You've got nothing.

For those members going on and about about the prophesiers of "doom and gloom" here is a link to the IPCC page that addresses the issue of how to adapt to climate change, 

Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/

And here is a link to what's called the Executive Summary:

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/chapter/summary-for-policymakers/