New Chinese restaurant in Jomtien

richsilver

Don't know about that one but there is now one halfway along Jomtien Beach Road, by the 7-11 with big parking area out front, that is part of the daily bus tour route, packed every lunchtime with at least 4 big buses parked up. Saw what I thought were a group of Chinese surveying the restaurant straight after lockdown ended and thought they might have been looking to take advantage of the situation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kinyara said:

Don't know about that one but there is now one halfway along Jomtien Beach Road, by the 7-11 with big parking area out front, that is part of the daily bus tour route, packed every lunchtime with at least 4 big buses parked up. Saw what I thought were a group of Chinese surveying the restaurant straight after lockdown ended and thought they might have been looking to take advantage of the situation.

Often bus tour restaurants don't welcome regular customers.

In cases where they do, in my experience more often than not you'll wish they hadn't served you. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

It wouldn't be an all you can eat buffet by any chance. ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's silly.

Thai has way too much sugar, lots of fried food in old oil, often lots of msg.

Msg isn't actually unhealthy.

China is a very large country thus an incredible variety of radically varied regional cuisines.

Texture is an important element with them and yes many of the foods are a bit too out there for most westerners.

Not a lot of call for a plate of anuses even if well seasoned.

But overall Chinese is probably the top cuisine in the world.

Agreed. Thai savoury dishes are always sweet, maybe to do with the sauce. They usually have extra sugar on the tables too. I only eat Thai food when my missus cooks it at home. Love Chinese and Indian grub 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Agreed. Thai savoury dishes are always sweet, maybe to do with the sauce. They usually have extra sugar on the tables too. I only eat Thai food when my missus cooks it at home. Love Chinese and Indian grub 

Yes unfortunately the Thai over sugar thing is a modern development. Older Thai people will tell you it wasn't always that way.

Talked to the Chinese guy who runs the place a week or so ago.  They were in soft opening.  I didn't eat there yet.  He and his staff are all from Xian.  What that means as far as what type of Chinese cuisine they serve is open to conjecture.  If this damn smog would lift, I'd head over there and try it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LALes said:

Talked to the Chinese guy who runs the place a week or so ago.  They were in soft opening.  I didn't eat there yet.  He and his staff are all from Xian.  What that means as far as what type of Chinese cuisine they serve is open to conjecture.  If this damn smog would lift, I'd head over there and try it.

Xian is dumpling country.

• Like 1

Prior to the pandemic Pattaya had become a reasonably decent town for authentic regional Chinese food.

No not Singapore, Hong Kong, or San Francisco but still not too shabby.

But the majority of those places closed.

Now that tourism and China is opening up again hopefully that happy trend will get back on track.

Thanks for the news of this new place in Jomtien.

26 minutes ago, richsilver said:

Thank you LALes for being the only one of eight posts that actually tried to answer my question.

Indeed.

Well it being so new very few people would be able to answer.

At least the non answering chatter kept the topic active which ended up attracting someone who knew and rather quickly too.

Edited by Jingthing

31 minutes ago, tgw said:

Xian is dumpling country.

Which would be phantastic. There are two dumpling places so far in Terminal 21, and one of them is quite appealing, but you can only bring the dumplings home. which we did at times. The other makes some interesting dumplings but the wrapper is quite thick. This is not unusual for Chinese dumplings, but I prefer the "Gyoza" Version and I have to admit, even eat them at the Fuji Chain because I am a Gyoza addict. So, now its out and you all know it :saai: By the way one of the best Gyoza I had was in the old and reopened eating place on BPH premises near the dermatology building - but now they have more sweet things and I am too lazy to make them myself. That might  be a mistake and worth re-considering. The more I think about it I will do it. Together with my phantastic but unfortunately complicated to make Hot an Sour Soup. As well a dish which shoud be served somewhere (if possible without sea cucumber and golden needles), but that too seems to much of an asking.

Edited by moogradod

On 4/22/2023 at 6:29 AM, geisha said:

Not the healthiest of Asian  foods., Lots of fried ,loads of msg ,  lots of oil in the stir fry. Cant digest myself., :Thai  is much better.

I'm first generation Chinese America. 

Here what is Chinese food? 

First who do you think is doing the cooking?  Sure they didn't bring in a cook from China!  Even in China the use of msg is well known!  then the oil which in Thailand is usually Palm. 

Based on what you mentioned the place won't last long with the Chinese Tour group. 

My wife says she is 100% Thai from up north.  Aside from the peppers it has been easy to adjust to Thai food to be similar to Chinese,  her Chinese Broccoli with pork over rice is near exact to what I have at home. 

She loves steam fish with ginger leave the pepper out Ii is like Chinese.  I've never ask her how to cook but dishes in my view are like Chinese. Our biggest difference she think it is sick I eat cat and dogs and I the same her eating rat! 

I've not been in all the Chinese places popping up in Pattaya I look at the prices shake my head particularly the steam fish one place was charging 900 baht at T-21, I ask wife you want to try she just smiled and said is the fish from China. I thought " that's my girl ".

What you described is the Thai food at the markets 

You ask me if I was a tour guide for a group of Chinese unless ordered I wouldnt be taking them to a Chinese restaurant it would be to a well price Thai restaurant.

Several years I made a big mistake I arranged a trip for my daughter in-law son and wife both been before to Hong Kong,  while there all she wanted to eat was Thai. 

Today whenever we travel I don't even bother with her. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:29 AM, geisha said:

Not the healthiest of Asian  foods., Lots of fried ,loads of msg ,  lots of oil in the stir fry. Cant digest myself., :Thai  is much better.

I find Thai food as u have described above, lots of cheap re used oil,  and  cooked in very un- hygienic conditions,  & u can digest that

Edited by actonion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I'm first generation Chinese America. 

Here what is Chinese food? 

First who do you think is doing the cooking?  Sure they didn't bring in a cook from China!  Even in China the use of msg is well known!  then the oil which in Thailand is usually Palm. 

Based on what you mentioned the place won't last long with the Chinese Tour group. 

My wife says she is 100% Thai from up north.  Aside from the peppers it has been easy to adjust to Thai food to be similar to Chinese,  her Chinese Broccoli with pork over rice is near exact to what I have at home. 

She loves steam fish with ginger leave the pepper out Ii is like Chinese.  I've never ask her how to cook but dishes in my view are like Chinese. Our biggest difference she think it is sick I eat cat and dogs and I the same her eating rat! 

I've not been in all the Chinese places popping up in Pattaya I look at the prices shake my head particularly the steam fish one place was charging 900 baht at T-21, I ask wife you want to try she just smiled and said is the fish from China. I thought " that's my girl ".

What you described is the Thai food at the markets 

You ask me if I was a tour guide for a group of Chinese unless ordered I wouldnt be taking them to a Chinese restaurant it would be to a well price Thai restaurant.

Several years I made a big mistake I arranged a trip for my daughter in-law son and wife both been before to Hong Kong,  while there all she wanted to eat was Thai. 

Today whenever we travel I don't even bother with her. 

Interesting perspective but you seem to be talking about Chinese food in Pattaya,  not so much Chinese food in general.

Yes I have been to places here that do import chefs from China. 

No they are not cheap and you're right even Chinese food that is not great here will in general be less value for money than Thai.

But remember most Chinese restaurants closed here during the pandemic. Things are likely to get better.

Yes of course many Thai dishes are influenced by Chinese food and there is also Thai style Chinese food just as there is American style Chinese food, etc 

But the flavor profiles are different.

Take something as basic as stir fried greens  Thai and Chinese versions taste different, use different ingredients.

Personally I prefer Chinese style with a Chinese meal and Thai style with a Thai meal.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting perspective but you seem to be talking about Chinese food in Pattaya,  not so much Chinese food in general.

Yes I have been to places here that do import chefs from China. 

No they are not cheap and you're right even Chinese food that is not great here will in general be less value for money than Thai.

But remember most Chinese restaurants closed here during the pandemic. Things are likely to get better.

Yes of course many Thai dishes are influenced by Chinese food and there is also Thai style Chinese food just as there is American style Chinese food, etc 

But the flavor profiles are different.

Take something as basic as stir fried greens  Thai and Chinese versions taste different, use different ingredients.

Personally I prefer Chinese style with a Chinese meal and Thai style with a Thai meal.

Correct in Pattaya,  even before Covid I'm not found one to my liking particularly my Thai wife. Ever since I took her to China and HK,  then home to U.S. to mom she been hooked. 

I've not eaten at the high end Chinese places that import Chinese Chef,  I can see it in Bangkok but here in Pattaya? 

As noted I think it was a place at Central Marina, there is a Sichan place my wife saw a steam fish dish 950 baht, that is wear she was joking is that fish imported. 

There are a number of dishes at Lengkee I consider pretty decent. Ingrediants seasoning surely different as noted MSG is common in every Thai kitchen order a simple plate of American friend rice topped with MSG. 

I'm lucky she is closer to Chinese than she thinks I never complain this way I never go hungry. 

10 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Correct in Pattaya,  even before Covid I'm not found one to my liking particularly my Thai wife. Ever since I took her to China and HK,  then home to U.S. to mom she been hooked. 

I've not eaten at the high end Chinese places that import Chinese Chef,  I can see it in Bangkok but here in Pattaya? 

As noted I think it was a place at Central Marina, there is a Sichan place my wife saw a steam fish dish 950 baht, that is wear she was joking is that fish imported. 

There are a number of dishes at Lengkee I consider pretty decent. Ingrediants seasoning surely different as noted MSG is common in every Thai kitchen order a simple plate of American friend rice topped with MSG. 

I'm lucky she is closer to Chinese than she thinks I never complain this way I never go hungry. 

You just missed the more exceptional places.

There was a place in Avenue Mall that had numerous Chinese chefs.

Currently I am using the two places in T21 and <deleted> Man Lou. 

Not overly thrilled but I think OK while we wait for better.

I have had some very good food at the hot pot place on Tappraya Road Jomtien not far from the supermarket. Aren't they still open? At least they used to have Chinese chefs and it's not only hotpot. But for some reasons I stopped going  there because its very overpriced and I didn't feel welcome.

I definitely love the very reasonably priced hand pulled noodle plus beef place on Pattaya Beach road,Tip Mall is it,

I don't consider Lengkee a Chinese restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You just missed the more exceptional places.

There was a place in Avenue Mall that had numerous Chinese chefs.

Currently I am using the two places in T21 and <deleted> Man Lou. 

Not overly thrilled but I think OK while we wait for better.

I have had some very good food at the hot pot place on Tappraya Road Jomtien not far from the supermarket. Aren't they still open? At least they used to have Chinese chefs and it's not only hotpot. But for some reasons I stopped going  there because its very overpriced and I didn't feel welcome.

I definitely love the very reasonably priced hand pulled noodle plus beef place on Pattaya Beach road,Tip Mall is it,

I don't consider Lengkee a Chinese restaurant.

The Lengkee family has a long history not considered but there are some dishes. I once took my wife there she order a steam fish normally done in Thailand Tom Yum style she ask the waitress to deviate and they did came out pretty close I order the Morning glory non spices with garlic don't use oil it wasn't bad. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Both Chinese and Thai are junk. I only eat American Chinese and westernized Thai. Shoot me.

That's your free choice and your taste but I really think you're missing out and possibly haven't been exposed to some authentic Thai and Chinese dishes that might blow your mind.

On the Chinese front I have been exposed to a world famous Sichuan chef and that was among the best food I've ever had of any kind.

Not in Pattaya of course. 

I think it often does come to exposure but sure of course many maybe even most people only want familiar foods.

Edited by Jingthing

33 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The Lengkee family has a long history not considered but there are some dishes. I once took my wife there she order a steam fish normally done in Thailand Tom Yum style she ask the waitress to deviate and they did came out pretty close I order the Morning glory non spices with garlic don't use oil it wasn't bad. 

No doubt.

I have had good Thai food there but found their service on the eccentric side. I know many people swear by their duck.

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No doubt.

I have had good Thai food there but found their service on the eccentric side. I know many people swear by their duck.

From my experience "eccentric service" seems to be part of the Chinese eating experience. Apart from Vietnamese Immigration Officers I have never seen more unfriendly and grumpier people than Chinese service personnel.

I like duck, but in the form of "Peking Duck". I doubt that they can produce one. There used to be a Peking Duck Restaurant just below the BTS station Phrom Pong in Bangkok (Emporium Exit, then left staircase down - it is just there, if it still is). Peking Duck for 750 THB, 3 courses (Skin wrapped in pankakes, Meat cooked to order and Soup). But this is a very long time ago. Still looking for a decent Peking Duck Place after having tried various other venues in BKK. Never seen one in Pattaya.

51 minutes ago, CLW said:

Could you tell the name and location of the restaurant?

Not everyone outside of pattaya is familiar with landmark locations.

Thank you

I think but am not sure it would in the large circular tower located at the intersection of Tappraya and Jomtien beach  road inner Jomtien.

Who knows please confirm.

The name isn't needed as it would be the only Chinese restaurant there.

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo/3391/jomtien-plaza-condotel#openGallery

Edited by Jingthing