Can anyone recommend an angency or Law firm that handles a Perminant Residency visa

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A slight correction; for Thailand there's no such thing as a Permanent Resident visa.

Some years back at an immigration discussion with foreigners a senior Thai immigration officer explained it like this (he spoke perfect English):

- Thai citizenship, automatic at birth if one parent (or both) are Thai citizens. Foreigners can apply for Thai citizenship, difficult to achieve, very small numbers are approved. Not that expensive. It's for life, after approval there's no annual renewal, no checking, no 90 day reports etc. no need for exit/re-entry stamps. This is NOT a visa, foreigners approved get a standard Thai passport.

- Thai Certificate of Residence, also known as  Permanent Resident or PR. Not easy to achieve. For 99% of folks who get PR  the primary item required is working in Thailand with a Thai work permit for 3 consecutive years, or more, and proof of paying all personal taxes and lots more, applicant must be holding a Thai work permit at the time of applying. Very high rejection rate (there's a maximum number which can be approved each year, for most countries it's 50 maximum but total approvals per country always well under that number. When I applied, for my birth county the maximum per year was 50. Actually approved was 5). After approval there's no annual renewal required, no checking, no 90 day reports etc. Holder must have an exit/re-entry permit. This is NOT a visa, PR is issued for life. Holder gets a small Certificate of Residence book which immigration stamp, same as holder's passport, every time the holder departs and returns to Thailand. The stamping is automatic, there is no interview or renewal of the PR status.  Expensive.

- Various Visas - Visas have a start date and an expiry date. Some visas can be extened but the extenion will have an expiry date. Some visas can be renewed, holder must submit an application for renewal, usually with copious attachments, and wait to see if the renewal is approved.

I got my Certificate of Residency (PR) 26+ years ago so I'm not up to date with which agencies offer help with gaining PR.

However several such agencies advertise their services here on ASEANNOW occasionally. One or several will possibly repond soon. 

Suggest google 'agencies in Thailand for Thai Permanent Residency?', this search will bring up many search responses which might give some valuable further information. 

slight correction:

certificate of residency is a letter foreigners can get from immigration as proof of address for opening a bank accounts, getting\renewing driver's license etc. What you refer to is just permanent residency. Quota per country is decided upon and released to the public near the end of the year, every year.

As for citizenship - one must hold a work permit and pay taxes for 3 consecutive years prior to applying, and keep working and pay taxes throughout the process, same as for PR.

On top of that, in order to be qualified to apply for citizenship one must hold a PR for at least 5 years. Also had to be over 40 years old on the past, not sure if this rule still exists. AFAIK a foreigner married to a Thai citizen can skip the PR part and after 3 years of working legally and paying taxes can apply for citizenship.

Edited by LukKrueng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

slight correction:

certificate of residency is a letter foreigners can get from immigration as proof of address for opening a bank accounts, getting\renewing driver's license etc. What you refer to is just permanent residency. Quota per country is decided upon and released to the public near the end of the year, every year.

As for citizenship - one must hold a work permit and pay taxes for 3 consecutive years prior to applying, and keep working and pay taxes throughout the process, same as for PR.

On top of that, in order to be qualified to apply for citizenship one must hold a PR for at least 5 years. Also had to be over 40 years old on the past, not sure if this rule still exists. AFAIK a foreigner married to a Thai citizen can skip the PR part and after 3 years of working legally and paying taxes can apply for citizenship.

Further explanation: 

The nomenclature 'Certificate of Residence' does have 2 different meanings in Thailand and yes this does cause some confusion:

1. The book shown in the attachment below which is issued when a foreigner is approved for lifetime Permanant Residency. The initial book has a dark blue cover. When the book is full (admin. pages and departure and arrival stamps for every trip) it's replaced by a white covered book which again needs replacement if it's full. 

2. A one page simple letter called 'Certificate of Residence. (A letter, not a book.)  Usually issued as needed to get a Thai drivers license and similar.

It could be described as 'proof of where the foreigner is living or 'the address where the foreigner is living'.

It has no meaning whatever re Permanent Residence (which to be more officially correct is a lifetime Certificate of Residence, as shown on the cover of the PR book). 

Photo - Cover of Thailand Certificate of Residence book.docx

Edited by scorecard

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm wondering why there was a 'confused' emoji

Surprised as you are so experienced.

I gave same post thumbs up.

There is always mixed elements on AseanNow. 

Means nothing. You posted good advice. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, problemfarang said:

OP i know a lawyer who can make you thai citizen for 2mil baht

Can you please stop ridiculous posts. 

The pathway to Thai citizenship is a process and if it was simple as 2 million that lawyer would be booked out till April 2100. 

• Confused 1