Some buses are free in Bangkok. What number are they?

Goodboybkk

5 minutes ago, proton said:

10 baht on ordinary non air buses, why would you want a free one? Glad they stopped as the mrs always wanted to wait for a free one, then complained they were full of poor smelly people.

She saving up to buy a bigger bag of rice?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:
54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is the maximum number of questions members are permitted to post here?

You've asked toooo many questions!!!!!    You need to do a Google search.    :post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083:

No, I don't, my question was rhetorical.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There were some free buses but don't know if they're still running. They weren't all the buses on those routes so  you'd have to look for the sign on the front. If you really needed a free bus, you could wait until one turned up on your route. 

1 minute ago, mackayae said:

Note that some Red non air-con buses are free. These free buses feature a sign (in Thai only) on their windscreens, at the rear and on the sides that says:

รถเมล์ฟรี จากภาษีประชาชน
(= Free buses from public taxes)

free-red-cream-non-air-bus-bangkok.jpg

They are still running? I remember that it was even before COVID when BMA ended that scheme and I haven't seen any such bus since, at least in the area where I used to live.

If they are still running, that would be good for the poor people in need to move around.

And from photo of the pink taxi next to it, seems some may still be running as that's newer Corolla model than when I thought scheme ended.

Ignore my post above, then.

Just searched for where my idea that this scheme ended came from, and here it is:

The free-to-ride bus project was launched by the People's Power Party-led government in 2008 to help low-income people for six months. It has since been extended every six months by subsequent governments [SNIP] Free rides on selected public buses and trains will be extended for another three months, until the end of January, Deputy Transport Minister Ormsin Chivapruck said on Tuesday.

This was published on 15 October, 2015. So basically, the scheme ended at the end of January, 2016.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:21 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

What is the maximum number of questions members are permitted to post here?

As many as they want I should think, as long as they are not trolling, it is a public forum after all.