Scorching Hot Weather and Rising Electricity Bills in Thailand lead to Public Outcry

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only

By Tanakorn Panyadee

National — Restaurants and entertainment venues in Thailand are struggling with rising power bills and the absence of outdoor customers due to the current scorching weather. Super malls, however, are getting more customers from people looking for shade and cool air, according to Thanakorn Kuptachit, an advisor to the Thai Alcohol Business Association.

Thanakorn revealed to the Thai media on April 22nd that the sweltering weather across Thailand is negatively affecting entertainment places, hotels, and restaurants.

The facilities also have to bear the burden of increasing electricity bills due to their appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, which have to work harder and remain running constantly.
The absence of outdoor customers due to the heat also adds to the businesses’ burden.

“Although businesses are running normally, they are being affected by the unfavorable weather. However, there is still support from night-time tourists, although the legal closing time has still not been extended as previously proposed,” Thanakorn stated.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/23/scorching-hot-weather-and-rising-electricity-bills-in-thailand-lead-to-public-outcry/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

To be honest, I’m somewhat surprised that we haven’t seen more hotels and other type venues add on some kind of “fuel” surcharge or the like…

Granted, this latest “spike” is somewhat new— so maybe there hasn’t been enough time for ideals out of the private sector to percolate up, but I’d also guess that this is a problem that the current government will want to stamp out asap - and most of the rival parties will want to keep in the spotlight as long as early May. 

So .. my hunch is that we may see action - if only due to political clout value alone…

28 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

It is time that people are being adviced to get solar panels installed for their own electricity, instead of keeping the monopoly position of the the companies ....Lots of  sunshine and all over the world there is promotion to install them. Why not in Thailand??

Just paying your electricity bill in advance and giving added maintenene concerns with solar energy .

Too expensive in other words . 

The price needs to come down for the solar systems to be of use for 10 to 15 kw systems .

12 minutes ago, new2here said:

To be honest, I’m somewhat surprised that we haven’t seen more hotels and other type venues add on some kind of “fuel” surcharge or the like…

Granted, this latest “spike” is somewhat new— so maybe there hasn’t been enough time for ideals out of the private sector to percolate up, but I’d also guess that this is a problem that the current government will want to stamp out asap - and most of the rival parties will want to keep in the spotlight as long as early May. 

So .. my hunch is that we may see action - if only due to political clout value alone…

Yes i agree , combining the large price increase in electricity  and the extra usage due to the hot weather is making the situation look grim .

My electric bill was 7375 baht . if i had consumed the same amout of kwh before the price rise the bill would of been 6360 baht . 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Large entertainment venues and large restaurants should invest in alternative power sources to off-set the rising cost of electricity.

Not just bank the money every night.

Collectives and cooperatives are largely a good idea.....if only we could get everyone on the same page. 

Sharing for the greater good of the commons has become a thing of the past. 

"I've got mine, so **** off appears to be the present mantra. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Just paying your electricity bill in advance and giving added maintenene concerns with solar energy .

Too expensive in other words . 

The price needs to come down for the solar systems to be of use for 10 to 15 kw systems .

maintenance? Cleaning the panels every 6 months.
Of course the solar systems are expensive but at these prices they pay themself back in 3-4 years if you install them yourself. Of course it makes only sense if you use the electric during the day, if you have a restaurant that opens in the evening it is total pointless. Solutions with batteries are way too expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don't even consider dining out, of late, unless AC is provided.

Unfortunately, few restaurants locally are AC'd.  Not a fan of the ones that are AC'd.    Rather get a Double Pork Cheeseburger, Cheesecake & beverage from 7-11 and sit in the car, while looking at the surf ... ????

24 minutes ago, h90 said:

maintenance? Cleaning the panels every 6 months.
Of course the solar systems are expensive but at these prices they pay themself back in 3-4 years if you install them yourself. Of course it makes only sense if you use the electric during the day, if you have a restaurant that opens in the evening it is total pointless. Solutions with batteries are way too expensive.

A hybrid system in Thailand will not pay for themselves until 8 years and then you will by then be needing to upgrade the batteries, invertors etc .

I have had prices for a 10 kw hybrid system costing 850000 baht fitted. With a cost of electricity from the grid for myself being around 70000 per annum I do not see the 3 years you speak of .

I see 8 years and be ready to spend a significant sum at the end of the 8 years .

There is also more maintenance than cleaning the solar panels as things do go wrong .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, itsari said:

A hybrid system in Thailand will not pay for themselves until 8 years and then you will by then be needing to upgrade the batteries, invertors etc .

I have had prices for a 10 kw hybrid system costing 850000 baht fitted. With a cost of electricity from the grid for myself being around 70000 per annum I do not see the 3 years you speak of .

I see 8 years and be ready to spend a significant sum at the end of the 8 years .

There is also more maintenance than cleaning the solar panels as things do go wrong .

Double the price of similar systems in Europe, it should be much cheaper

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Double the price of similar systems in Europe, it should be much cheaper

I have had a price from a company in China with a price of 450000 baht for a 10 kw hybrid system . That would include delivery to  Bangkok port and no taxes paid . There would be no fitting of the solar system either.

With taxes and fitting  being extra one could save 200,000 baht instead of using local solar businesses. 

But there is a lot more risk involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I speak of a grid tie system....as I told if you need batteries it looks very bad. There you have the panels at 11-13 Baht per Watt and than like $100 per 1kW for cheap inverter.
I had some of the connectors fail...and some more will fail as they aren't sunlight resistant....costs very low.
from cheap inverter MosFet may fail on the beginning (till you have good one installed), they cost almost nothing once learned how to swap them. Fans fail.

All very minor costs.
I see some strange lines on some solar panels, like the silicone separate from the glass, but I see that since years and the panel still gives full power. Mine has already paid back 2/3 (or maybe already 3/4).
But we did it ourself some solar company might be more expensive (on the other hand they avoid the beginners mistakes I made)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We don't even consider dining out, of late, unless AC is provided.

Unfortunately, few restaurants locally are AC'd.  Not a fan of the ones that are AC'd.    Rather get a Double Pork Cheeseburger, Cheesecake & beverage from 7-11 and sit in the car, while looking at the surf ... ????

The 7-11 CP double pork cheese burger is very good for 42bht.

Which cheesecake though?

Thinking of buying another battery, NMC 238w 48V @55,000bht.

Edited by BritManToo

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is time that people are being adviced to get solar panels installed for their own electricity, instead of keeping the monopoly position of the the companies ....Lots of  sunshine and all over the world there is promotion to install them. Why not in Thailand??

The obvoius anwser is the greed, incompetance of the high ...  this filters down to us ...  just look at what you get back when feeding back into the grid...  First you have to get through paperwork like getting Kim to give up his nukes, then you get a pittance return..  and I am guessing that will be like pulling teeth as well..

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The 7-11 CP double pork cheese burger is very good for 42bht.

Which cheesecake though?

Thinking of buying another battery, NMC 238w 48V @55,000bht.

I think you & another gave the burger ???????? 

I'm thinkin' 'what, no way' ... oh yea 'way' ... damn tasty, and yea, a bargain.

The CheeseCake, dark blue sealing adhesive, label 'Baked CheeseCake', partial to the 'Black Forest' cakes also. 

image.png.ed37666b110cc0d292a364e379a4d91f.png

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Pocket filling somewhere will probably have something to do with it.