I'm an American who's lived in Bangkok for 10 years, and these are 7 things tourists should never do when they visit

webfact

There are 37 countries in the Americas.  Which are u from ?

Ive ridden my through Bkk   Numerous times over the last 13 years.   Never an issue except honking horns and yelling at me.  I’ve been North to south and East to west borders.  Never an issue.  Other than people of opportunity hosing the farang.

Edited by NORDO
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

If I had a nickel for every article like this...

So much is left out too.

Don't touch a Thai person on the head.

Don't wai to others unless you know how and why you are doing it.

Take shoes off whenever visiting a Thai household.

etc etc.. list goes on.

Don't touch your gf on the head?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I stopped at tip 1. Walking is a great way to experience Bangkok, the same as it is when you're any place in the world.

With air quality forecast today in Bangkok at 151 (unhealthy), not the same as any place in the world.

Beijing 91

Seoul 55

Paris 33

Los Angeles 44

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

If I had a nickel for every article like this...

So much is left out too.

Don't touch a Thai person on the head.

Don't wai to others unless you know how and why you are doing it.

Take shoes off whenever visiting a Thai household.

etc etc.. list goes on.

Head touches aren't welcome anywhere from a stranger. Taking shoes off is European as well.

Thais are 90% the same as Europeans.

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

wow what an eye opener! his decade in BKK has taught me so many new things..thanks friend!

if only one other person has come up with such insider tips.....hence the link!

sidenote had i known these tips earlier i wouldnt have just hit my 4000th post!!   dangit

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Every now and then you get someone who feels compel to share his views on Thailand and its other places with the world and the op is the current one, does he say something we didn't already knew? No, but if it's made him happy to vent, so be it.

I agree.  Some are common sense, unless you are a naive dullard, some are plain wrong, (walking is a great way to see places and things you won't see from a scam ridden taxi) and I am happy to hold hands and kiss my Thai g/f in public.  If I didn't she would soon be on my case.  The whole point of visiting new countries and new cities is that you discover things you didn't know, but keep your wits about you. A normal travel guide is a good start.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

Not just what he left out but what he put in. Would you recommend a tourist to take a tuk tuk if you'd stayed in Bangkok more than a few days even, he does.

Never, or a motorbike taxi  

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Lots of nonsense in this article as many have already observed.

starting with the dangerously misleading statement that Thais are welcoming and friendly. Should have said ‘many’, or even ‘most’. Then goes on to scams ‘Bangkok's most famous scam is when a local lies to a tourist....’ doesn’t sound too friendly?

Then the bit about ‘jai yen’ which was given the literal translation of ‘cool heart’, which is quite different from it’s real meaning in the context which was to keep a cool head. He then really ought to have warned of the potential consequences of getting loud and angry.

Lots more missing and nonsensical as previous replies state.

The OP has clearly never been to a Spanish city, or a Mexican city, or a Russian or Chinese City, or a ..................  I could go on. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I stopped at tip 1. Walking is a great way to experience Bangkok, the same as it is when you're any place in the world.

With air quality forecast today in Bangkok at 151 (unhealthy), not the same as any place in the world.

Beijing 91

Seoul 55

Paris 33

Los Angeles 44

Well, air quality varies day by day, week by week, month by month.

• Confused 1