Why Pheu Thai handout pledge is election’s hottest topic

webfact

They re forgetting the cost to set up this fiasco.  The only people this helps is those wealthy business owners that already make huge amounts from the people.  

Have never lived in Issan but I am sure the number of options that you could use is limited to 7/11 gas stations and mom and pop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

They re forgetting the cost to set up this fiasco.  The only people this helps is those wealthy business owners that already make huge amounts from the people.  

Have never lived in Issan but I am sure the number of options that you could use is limited to 7/11 gas stations and mom and pop.

Not really, you should visit sometimes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Apart from 7/11s which are franchise from CP I think, plus the gas stations which are also owned by big business, most of rural Thailand depend on the mom and pop shops and the food cars.

So the money will go to the smaller people, which is where it should go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Apart from 7/11s which are franchise from CP I think, plus the gas stations which are also owned by big business, most of rural Thailand depend on the mom and pop shops and the food cars.

These villages also tend to have repair shops for a variety of things around them, too. Then, there are builders, roof repairs, all sorts of things that will spread the money around locally. This is a good policy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Will Pheu Thai’s controversial pledge to hand 10,000 baht to every Thai citizen aged 16 and over be the “killer policy” that secures a landslide victory in the May 14 general election?

I don't know anyone who would vote against this, except those with more to lose.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It seems there are restrictions how the money can be spent. As far as I know it has to be spent within a certain radius of where the person lives (registered address?). And I think it can't be used for alcohol, etc.

So there will be some (new?) computer system involved to make this possible.

Who will develop that system? Where will it be installed and who will pay for the installations at the vendors?

Somehow I would be surprised if every little shop will have this system.

And what will be the result? No extra money to mom and pop shops, more money to the bigger (chain) shops. And likely lots of lucrative contracts to develop it, set it up, maintain it, and and and. Now who will get all this extra work? And who will pay for it? And who will get the commissions? It's all pretty obvious - but most Thaksin voters won't understand and won't care. 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems there are restrictions how the money can be spent. As far as I know it has to be spent within a certain radius of where the person lives (registered address?). And I think it can't be used for alcohol, etc.

So there will be some (new?) computer system involved to make this possible.

Who will develop that system? Where will it be installed and who will pay for the installations at the vendors?

Somehow I would be surprised if every little shop will have this system.

And what will be the result? No extra money to mom and pop shops, more money to the bigger (chain) shops. And likely lots of lucrative contracts to develop it, set it up, maintain it, and and and. Now who will get all this extra work? And who will pay for it? And who will get the commissions? It's all pretty obvious - but most Thaksin voters won't understand and won't care. 

Same app as the 50/50 scheme I suppose which worked very well in all the small mum n pop stores. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Same app as the 50/50 scheme I suppose which worked very well in all the small mum n pop stores. 

I was impressed with the co-payment subsidy scheme due to its simplicity. Million of small vendors registered for the scheme and customers pay by using the QR code. I used this numerous times. Certainly a version of this can be used for the handout policy. Just need to incorporate the blockchain database technology. 

• Like 2

From the news article:

...Under the plan, an e-coupon worth 10,000 baht will be transferred into digital wallets held by every Thai citizen aged 16 or over. The money can only be spent at local shops and businesses within 4 kilometres of their registered address. Recipients have six months to spend the e-coupon before the project expires...

The story keeps changing. Earlier, it was "...worth up to 10,000 Baht...", now it is a flat "...worth 10,000 Baht..." to all.

Will the local shops and businesses where this e-money can be spent selected on the basis of what party the owners supported during the election campaign?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, bubblegum said:

Somehow I would be surprised if Thai politicians decide to use something which exists and works compared to something new which will cost a lot of money and will bring lots of opportunities for "commissions". 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Indeed.

Often political parties promise tax cuts - which are basically of huge benefit to the rich and of little value to the not so rich. These are usually funded by some imagined future growth but are essentially a hand out of money - lots to the rich, a little to the poor.

This is really not much different, except it is of benefit mainly to the poor. A rich person with billions in the bank is hardly bothered about 10000bt whereas most of the population of Thailand would benefit greatly. Keeping it as a fixed amount also considerably reduces the cost of administering the idea. 

Of course, those with money (who stand to gain only a little), will complain bitterly about 'them' getting more than 'ME' and will use as much propaganda as possible to squash the idea.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously that is a hot topic. Who doesn't want to get 10k extra money - especially if that is similar to a full month salary for many people.

And this is one of those promises which is easy to implement - a lot easier like reducing traffic death or building a new highway or anything like that.

And, as far as I know, the majority of Thai people don't pay any income tax. So for them there is no question of where the money comes from. Just give it to us, take it from those others, who cares.

It's sad that such a policy seems to be no reason to dissolve a political party. When will other parties promise 20k? Or 10k every month? 

As long as the Thai people keep the soldiers away, anything, or any method to get into government will be fine, and will be an improvement on the last nine years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No!

I know your feelings and I respect them, but it would seem most of the posters are like me, we do not want soldiers in any part of government and as I said, and stand by. any government will do me if they are all well educated politicians, they are all for themselves anyway.

You live in lower Sukhumvit, you must have noticed how empty the streets were and the nightlife, and that was before the pandemic, compare that with 2014, then from about 2017 till about 2019.

The soldiers chased many expats and tourists away. 

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I know your feelings and I respect them, but it would seem most of the posters are like me, we do not want soldiers in any part of government and as I said, and stand by. any government will do me if they are all well educated politicians, they are all for themselves anyway.

You live in lower Sukhumvit, you must have noticed how empty the streets were and the nightlife, and that was before the pandemic, compare that with 2014, then from about 2017 till about 2019.

The soldiers chased many expats and tourists away. 

Thanks for your post.

I wonder how many tourists know about Thai politics and care about Thai politics.

I guess tourists want to have a good time and no demonstrations and no hassle, etc.

I would be surprised if tourists stayed away because of the not so democratic government in Thailand.

I am pretty sure at least some tourists would stay away if the red shirts or yellow shirts would be on the streets again.

The way I see it, and confirmed by bar managers who work here since decades, the night life is different than before mostly because of mobile phones, dating apps, etc. Some time ago tourists visited bars to meet girls. And girls worked in bars to meet customers. Now a big part of that business is online. Bars are not needed anymore to bring those people together. And that obviously brings a lot less business to the bars - and in part different business than previously.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post.

I wonder how many tourists know about Thai politics and care about Thai politics.

I guess tourists want to have a good time and no demonstrations and no hassle, etc.

I would be surprised if tourists stayed away because of the not so democratic government in Thailand.

I am pretty sure at least some tourists would stay away if the red shirts or yellow shirts would be on the streets again.

The way I see it, and confirmed by bar managers who work here since decades, the night life is different than before mostly because of mobile phones, dating apps, etc. Some time ago tourists visited bars to meet girls. And girls worked in bars to meet customers. Now a big part of that business is online. Bars are not needed anymore to bring those people together. And that obviously brings a lot less business to the bars - and in part different business than previously.

Yes I understand that, I do not frequent bars although I have made the very occasional walk in Nana Plaza. I was really referring to the quietness of the road from Soi 3 down to Asoke.

You have got it spot on about online. All I am saying is the main Sukhumvit Road was always busy in the years up to around 2017, I remember saying to myself not too long before the pandemic started that the streets were so quiet and believed, and still do that certain immigration issues have caused long stayers and expats to leave Thailand.