Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

He should proby start saving now for the 20,000 GBP it'll  cost to get him there.

is that on a private leer jet or ? 

my man has a broken leg. shoot even a first class ticket wouldn't run much more than 5k. he would have a lay flat bed for the whole flight. wheelchair in and out of the airport etc. 

and before you get to me...i have broken my ankles 6 times. also  shoulder. wrist. collar bone.  ribs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

well, it's painful to realize not having enough cover for an accident. Cheap Charly spent a lot for flight and living but "saved" money on insurance. Lesson learnt?

Go to your funds in UK and please don't bother us with your admitted sad story. ☹️

He Might NOT Have ANY Funds in The U.K......#SKINT !!

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, unfortunate common situation. 

The guy talks about his quality of life, yet he appears 80 pounds over weight.  He could do himself a big favor and take a lot of stress off that leg by losing weight.  Hope he gets the proper treatment and financial assistance. 

Not top priority

14 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

He should proby start saving now for the 20,000 GBP it'll  cost to get him there.

And which Airline would that be on ?? 20,000 GBP 555 ! 555 ! Would That be for an Air Ambulance ??

Edited by Nong Khai Man
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You don't know that. He could be skint broke. As for blaming the victim, my insurance caps off at a reasonable amount. I could see a hospital going through that fairly easily if I'm just stuck there. So just get an unlimited insurance plan? That must not be cheap. People on here are trying to get off the O-A visa just to not get insurance. I guess it's not to common to be completely covered for anything.

Maybe if insurance companies would be less greedy and stop all the legal jargon nonsense and stick to plain English and their wording all the same size and stop looking for excuses not to pay out, people would not be so inclined to take chances and just skip insurance altogether.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And which Airline would that be on ?? 20,000 Baht 555 ! 555 ! Have YOU Checked ANY Flight Prices Recently....?? Nah I DON'T Think you have !!

He said 20,000 GBP not Baht ..... might help if you read the comment properly before making a smart reply 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nearly all these same incidents we read about in Thailand involve a motorbike

Somewhere amongst that thought there is a lesson to be learnt.......

Edited by Chivas

Just insured a bike last week above 250cc, mandatory Big Bike Insurance (3rd party only) was 845baht, ok I asked for Cover options at the bike Test/Tax place as wanted fully comp for me & my new bike, they explained they have a Bronze, Silver & Gold Cover Policies for additional protection/cover.

Was 2499baht for the Gold Big Bike Policy (250cc +) Fully Comp Policy with Hospital coverage including In-Patient.

Would have thought an Ex-Pat would make sure they have right amount of coverage... can understand Tourists overlooking these things or running the risk... Anyway Good luck to him but yeah - using my money to cover myself dont expect others to pay for me

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for your info. As yet we don't know which applies. As per an earlier posting the cause of his injury was a road traffic accident so unfortunately he wouldn't be entitled to receive treatment under the Thai National Health Service. 

Yes, I don't know if accident injuries are covered. I suspect Health service only for sickness etc.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dr Jon said:

I am very sorry for the terrible predicament, however medical treatment is not free in the UK. It costs every man, women and child around £2,500 per year in taxation, whether you use it or not, for a very poor service. Currently NHS stands for 'Nothing Happens Soon'.

The NHS costs nearer to £3500 per capita.

This is 18% less than countries like Germany and France.

It is one of the best systems in the world. When you measure this against taxes the average UK person has a very low tax level....similar to middle income America which has the worst healthcare system in the Western world.

Standarts of training and care in the UK are uniformly the highest in the world.

However the current government has a personal vested interest in running down the NHS in order to justify privatisation. 

This is not only dogma but many Tory MPs have interests in private healthcare companies.

I have personal experience and knowledge of several healthcare systems around the world and few are as competent of accessible to the highest level as the UK NHS. It is a universal system who's  primary function is to treat and save patients.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Just insured a bike last week above 250cc, mandatory Big Bike Insurance (3rd party only) was 845baht, ok I asked for Cover options at the bike Test/Tax place as wanted fully comp for me & my new bike, they explained they have a Bronze, Silver & Gold Cover Policies for additional protection/cover.

Was 2499baht for the Gold Big Bike Policy (250cc +) Fully Comp Policy with Hospital coverage including In-Patient.

Would have thought an Ex-Pat would make sure they have right amount of coverage... can understand Tourists overlooking these things or running the risk... Anyway Good luck to him but yeah - using my money to cover myself dont expect others to pay for me

I would have thought twice about 3rd party only.

No medical cover for yourself there.

Edited by kwilco

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

I'm was an experienced motorbike rider of many years in the UK and managed to stay accident free. My first time on two wheels in Thailand (Koh Chang) I had a prang due to a pickup appearing  on my side of the road on a bend. That was 16 years ago and I haven't ridden a motorbike on public roads here since. The most I do is run my daughter's bike around the golf course perimeter when she's away and ride my bicycle on the same road for exercise. It's almost traffic-free.

Doesn't matter how experienced you are, the number of idiots on the road here make it likely that you're going to come a cropper sooner or later.

Most foreign drivers on 2 or 4 wheels fail to learn and adapt to driving in Thailand.

Many are just too old or set in their ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Not just UK, but they seem to be the nationality with the connections that get them into the media for fundraising.  My German friend had a very nasty accident on his 'big bike' and spent several months in hospital accumulating a huge bill. Didn't get reported in the media. Had to make a major call on family back in Germany. Sadly ended up with a severe and permanent disability and returned back to Munich.

Another expat mate of mine was killed in Saraburi in October last year. Out on his bike on a Saturday morning and an SUV just drove clean over him.  Its all too common. Almost exactly the same kind of 'accident' that killed my wife's uncle in Udon. I'm a lifelong biker and ran DSA Direct Access riding courses for a time back in the UK also was IAM Car and Bike Observer and Examiner but I stay off two wheels in Thailand - getting on a bike here is attempted suicide...

Sad you feel like that about riding in Thailand. My wife and I both ride in Thailand even keep my wife's 500cc bike (she refused to sell when we left). Some very beautiful roads but you have to ride conservative and keep a light throttle plus expect every vehicle, dog to shoot out in front of you and of course never ever drink and drive/ride. 19 years riding and driving in Thailand 2 times accidents rear ended at a red light and drunk reversed into me at a temple ( police sent him on his way after admitted the fault and yes he drove).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dr Jon said:

I am very sorry for the terrible predicament, however medical treatment is not free in the UK. It costs every man, women and child around £2,500 per year in taxation, whether you use it or not, for a very poor service. Currently NHS stands for 'Nothing Happens Soon'.

I wouldn't say that's always true. I phoned my GP for an appointment at 8 AM last Monday - got to see him at 10:15 - he sent me to the local hospital for X Ray and I was walking out of there at 12:45.  To be fair I do now need to wait for another 3 weeks for a scan but mine is NOT an emergency case.

Sadly, the Government whilst wasting money all over the place, doesn't see fit to pay the NHS staff what they deserve hence the lack of people and facilities. But that's :offtopic:here.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

Why does everyone think it's never their fault but someone else's?

Because on a motorbike one is VULNERABLE to bigger vehicles however good a rider one might be. 

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you're going to ride a motorcycle here then at the very least you should have good accident insurance. 

And I'm sure, if they could be bothered the police could track down to hit and run driver...

If it was a hit and run ,than for sure the runner won't have insurance.

40 minutes ago, VBF said:

Because on a motorbike one is VULNERABLE to bigger vehicles however good a rider one might be. 

You aren't answering the point I made - the type of incident, pedestrian, motor=bike, car it is irrelevant to what I said

• Sad 1