UK licence converted into a Thai driving licence - my experience DLT Bangkok

5 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

But, like you, I am surprised that they issued a Thai licence based on production of an IDP.  The IDP has minimal security features.  I would have expected them to require production of the UK licence.

I spoke with a us citizen and a UK citizen at the driving test centre in Chiang Mai and they informed me that they were forced to take the complete driving test even though they could produce a current driving licence from there country .

1 hour ago, transam said:

I don't know anyone that has used an agent to get a Thai driving licence if they have a UK one, there is no problem........:stoner:

I've used one, twice, there's the reassurance of the "hand-holding" and a guarantee that there'll be no issues with any language issues for applicants whose Thai isn't as good as it should be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

I also had an International Driving Permit from UK (better to use this if possible as no need to show your UK licence at all).

Not sure if that is actually the case.  You may have got away with it but, as you didn't know that at the time of your visit and had your UK licence with you that they must have seen, I'd say that a proper UK licence is normally necessary and just turning up with an IDP wouldn't be enough.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As there seems to be some variation on how to deal3 and get the licence. And using an agent cuts the red tape.. so I would not take this as gospel if you do this yourself .. also odd that a residents cirtificate valid for one year as the ones you get from Pattaya only valid for one month.   

Just now, yeahbutif said:

also odd that a residents cirtificate valid for one year as the ones you get from Pattaya only valid for one month.   

A RC from Pattaya would be a one month cert from Immigration, he said he got his from the UK Embassy (even though, according to the .gov website, they apparently do not issue them) but when they did issue them they were stated as being valid for one year, as I remember. 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't speak Thai, I find the licencing folk very helpful, never a problem getting a licence.....:stoner:

I'm glad.  I decided not to risk it on my own at the manic, overcrowded Bangkok office that I have to use.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

They did not even glance at my IDP. Everything was based on my real drivers license. It was an easy enough process.  The IDP is simply a translation and has zero value as a legal document. It say right in the book that it has no validity without the original license.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, transam said:

I don't know anyone that has used an agent to get a Thai driving licence if they have a UK one, there is no problem........:stoner:

Bit tricky using an agent especially when it's time to have you're picture taken.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:23 PM, KannikaP said:

I was under the impression that an International Driving PERMIT which is simply a translation is useless without a related PROPER licence. And it has no photo identifier.

But this proves me wrong.

Or of course, the guys at DLT do not know this!   555

Apostle41 - Reading these reports emphasises that it depends on the office you go to and their experience dealing with farang licence applications. I first went with my Thai wife to the Chainat office re getting my Thai d/licence. Had paid for Thaivisa to provide the Residential Certificate as proof we are staying with family. Stupidly I handed my IDP card over with photo forgetting the small booklet which came with it, (discovered it in the glove box later), plus my Ozzie d/l current, with photo. Yes, the ladies were not happy re no booklet. But the kicker to me was they said my Ozzie licence didn't say car d/l - I've had a licence and driven a car, buses, m/c's & trucks since a 15yo. What upset them was at 82 I dropped all the other classes to only cover car & motorcycle. My card just says Heavy Vehicle D/L's no mention of car or m/c. So they knocked me back. I'd forgotten to get a doctors clearance so even had they accepted the other I would have missed out. So last Friday I went to the closer town Hankha and got the doctor's cert, great on the way I thought. Forget it. The new office said my IDP wasn't in Thai and now the Resident Cert wasn't enough they wanted the residential yellow book?? We are building a home but that won't start until June by the time its built and a yellow book available, that'll be nearly Christmas I'm guessing. By then I have to get another Doctors check and renew my Ozzie licence. Real simple eh. Thinking I should have paid an agent!

• Like 1

OP your experience is appreciated but as with most things Thai - everything depends on the requirements of the local Land Transport Office and they are all different.

My 5 year Thai licence expired last year and as I'm not there as often as I used to be, I haven't bothered replacing it.  However, I am hoping to move there in September so asked what I need to do to get a new one.  I was told that I would have to take the full test in the same way that Thai's do. I was also told that the application process must be done online - the last time I just went to the LTO and got my licence there and then.  When I changed up to a 5 year I simply had a colour blindness test and a reaction test.

I also think I will have to start again - as in I won't get another 5 year licence.  Anyone know what's given now - 1 or 2 year? I hold a UK licence.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

OP your experience is appreciated but as with most things Thai - everything depends on the requirements of the local Land Transport Office and they are all different.

My 5 year Thai licence expired last year and as I'm not there as often as I used to be, I haven't bothered replacing it.  However, I am hoping to move there in September so asked what I need to do to get a new one.  I was told that I would have to take the full test in the same way that Thai's do. I was also told that the application process must be done online - the last time I just went to the LTO and got my licence there and then.  When I changed up to a 5 year I simply had a colour blindness test and a reaction test.

I also think I will have to start again - as in I won't get another 5 year licence.  Anyone know what's given now - 1 or 2 year? I hold a UK licence.

2 year provisional...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Melpomene said:

Many thanks for the info ????. Could I ask what the process to get the affirmation of residence from the UK embassy was ? I checked their website and it suggested that they don't issue these.

The  British embassy no longer issue residence documents in Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Proof of address

You can obtain a residence certificate from your local immigration office. Most authorities and banks in Thailand will accept a Thai Work Permit, household registration or a residency certificate from the Thai Immigration Bureau as proof of your address.

Sorry for the delay, but I think clarification on a couple of points may help.

Firstly, I used an agent for speed of process because when I was last in Bangkok in November last year even an agent could  not get me an appointment within the 5 week time I had to get the job done.  This time around all went very quickly.  I don't actually live in Thailand full time yet.

Secondly the use of the IDP is as per DLT requirements, please refer to DLT website (here's a quick screen cap image.png.9dbd9042504331e38bbda4b1f5f361d4.png

2 hours ago, howerde said:

The  British embassy no longer issue residence documents in Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Proof of address

You can obtain a residence certificate from your local immigration office. Most authorities and banks in Thailand will accept a Thai Work Permit, household registration or a residency certificate from the Thai Immigration Bureau as proof of your address.

Many thanks for this. Unfortunately my local immigration office have also told me they will not issue the residence permit either as I don't 90 day report. I have a multi entry non imm visa as I'm in and out of the country. So looks like I'm a bit stuck in terms of getting a driving license ????

I guess this is Chang Wattana   Bangkok, you need to have a 90 day report filed, about 3 years ago, when not living here, i contacted an agent in Pattaya, who said they could do it, but i would need to do a TM 30 report there, then it would work, i never bothered, just used my Uk license until i moved here, like every thing else things are different at every office or even on different days

On 5/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Money wasted on an agent.

Lots of better things to spend nearly 2000b on.

I dont know, 2000 baht is a bargain if in Pattaya, unless of course you want to spend all day in the red hot sun queuing in Immigration car park for a proof of address letter.

47 minutes ago, sungod said:

I dont know, 2000 baht is a bargain if in Pattaya, unless of course you want to spend all day in the red hot sun queuing in Immigration car park for a proof of address letter.

Even with an agent you still need proof of address.