Inflation rate hits 16-month low

webfact

Far be it for me to muddy the waters on this but the CPI graph looks very very different from the supposed inflation graph above! Now I know that there's inflation, core inflation (doesn't include energy and food) and then there's CPI.....but!! @tgw

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/consumer-price-index-cpi

936807850_Screenshot(123).png.27c130c5684e48c3e1cc2eb6b090265d.png

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I have said in my posts on many OPs regarding inflation etc...the numbers this governments pumps out make no sense. To me inflation is still climbing. Looking over my spreadsheets on my expenditures for the past 2 years my costs have risen almost 20% for the same items, which Include my fuel costs as well as food costs.  Household cost increases are up across all items except one, my water bill has stayed constant. Prices for eating out have also increased, this can be attributed to rising fuel prices for cooking gas, fuel for transporting items needed, buying g said items which have increased. Not sure what the basket of goods they use to determine this decreasing inflation figure includes that people use on an everyday basis, and what's not included that people use the most.

Just my viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Made a request a few days ago for a quote for work to be done outside of the condo in Bangkok, tile replacement and painting on my 3 balconies, Quote came in, but this morning had an e-mail indicating he needed to raise the prices as the costs of the tile, and other items has increased.  Good thing I had not told him to go ahead with the work based upon his original quote.  All items are increasing it appears.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:10 AM, webfact said:

These include electricity, diesel, and cooking gas; while prices of 58 articles including vegetable oil, pork, and cabbage have decreased.

That explains it! Considering that whole aisles in supermarkets and convenience stores are dedicated to vegetable oil...

8 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

This is because the basket of goods upon which the Thai government calculates the CPI figure consists of rice paddy snails, a couple of frogs, a rice rat, a handful of wild mushrooms and a plastic drink bottle full of beetles.  That is what many rural Thai families are now living on day to day so it is only fair that it is used as the yardstick to calculate inflation.

What about Sangsom?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yeah, right...

Went to one of the big supermarkets today. Saw a jelly donut in a single pack; 20 baht... Not long ago one could buy 4 or 5 of those for 30 baht (2022), or 6 for 25 or 30 baht (2020ish).

Same for other items; package sizes shrinking by a third or so, while prices are up by 50% and more on top of that. You see some rice dishes with chicken or eggs; 120 baht. Don't seem to be very popular though, cause lots of them still for sale in the evening.

Most 7/11 prices are the same as a year ago.

• Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I agree entirely. Just a few year back I used to buy donuts at big C and Tesco for 5 bath each.  They are 20 baht each now.

It is a sad and confronting reality that I can longer afford the donuts and have to settle for just buying the holes.

Free holes. Big bonus.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, ezzra said:

I don't believe any numbers the government comes up with, Period.

While offering no numbers of your own.

But if they reflect bad news, we believe them wholeheartedly. Then we may even reverse our older sneers about last year's good figures and endorse them so that we can enhance the dramatic contrast and portent of the current bad news.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

It is a sad and confronting reality that I can longer afford the donuts and have to settle for just buying the holes.

LOL. You gave me an idea. If I want to buy jelly donuts again, I'll ask them to peel them for me and just sell me the jelly. Better than not buying any...

On 5/3/2023 at 9:52 PM, Will B Good said:

Inflation here.....greed-flation in the West......Looking at company reports for the UK, many are now coming in ahead of expectations......rip off Britain.

Though, not to be outdone, the U.S. is the overwhelming champion of highly deluded and fanciful economies - and more than in trouble with more and more countries abandoning their ship. BRICS [and associations] is just the tipping point.

• Haha 1

No way is Thai inflation at 2.7%. Food and fuel are always increasing. Whether in the local market, at one of the big "super"-markets, street stalls or local wet markets prices are up, up and up . Even boat noodles have risen in price well beyond 2.7%. Does any normal person (Thai or foreigner) really beleive this figure? 

As a comparison, inflation in Laos, a next door neighbour is over 40%. Maybe both are skewed a bit, as different economies, but there is no way that Thailand is at 2.7%. Let's hope that the upcoming election results will be more accurate and honest!

LAOS inflationLaos Inflation Rate

More reading: https://laotiantimes.com/2023/04/21/laos-records-40-8-percent-inflation-rate-in-first-quarter-of-2023/

THAILAND inflation

Thailand Inflation Rate

• Thumbs Up 1