As election draws near, dissolution rumors grow

webfact

4 hours ago, bogs smith said:

your post is so naive to the way things really work in this country.

you are totally clueless. sad.

A more realistic reflection of the AN membership and regular participants. 

A Troll post baiting another member and of a stalking nature has been removed.  Continue and be suspended.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11. You will not troll or stalk other members by misusing forum posts, private messages, reactions, emojis or by any other means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

How was it rendered out of context?

That's your opinion.  As I said, I disagree with that.

Why would I want to explain that?

1.  I assumed you accepted that voters have free will and can vote against Thaksin just as they voted for him.  I then explained why they might not choose to do so. 

Why do you think voters can not vote Thaksin out of office once elected?  Do you assume his will be the only name on the ballot?  Do you assume he would stage a coup if voted out?  In either case he becomes a coup leader, not a democratically elected leader. 

2.  Yes, but unless you assume voters have no free will, your opinion is ridiculous.  In a democracy anyone elected can be voted out in the next election, assuming a next election is allowed.  That is a poor assumption in Thailand.

3.  Because people who complain about the difficulty (not impossibility) of removing popular elected officials should explain how the alternative available, seizing power at gun point, can be removed from office.

• Love It 1

If this reality were truly come to pass, then the martyrs of the revolution will drown in a river of blood at the Democracy Monument. Insha Allah Patani will then be a free state again.

Edited by MarcelV

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't see how that contradicts anything I have written.

It doesn't contradict anything that you wrote.

It simply points out, which you didn't, who controls the media now.

It is the military which controls the radio, TV and newspapers in Thailand which is where many of the older Thais get their information from.

The younger and more tech savvy Thais use their computers, mobile phones etc to gather information from the internet and the social media which is outside (at present) military control.

This is what is terrifying the military. They don't understand it, they cannot control or censor it, as the youth are far smarter than the military.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is the military which controls the radio, TV and newspapers in Thailand which is where many of the older Thais get their information from.

The younger and more tech savvy Thais use their computers, mobile phones etc to gather information from the internet and the social media which is outside (at present) military control.

This is what is terrifying the military. They don't understand it, they cannot control or censor it, as the youth are far smarter than the military.

And you think it was better when Thaksin controlled the media?  Is that what your point is?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never underestimate the social networking which is being followed closely and arrests made by this government over those posts, or have you not been paying attention to the news etc....over the past 5 plus years.

The post was about somebody financing the protest movement. I was commenting that not much financing was needed nowadays.  All you need is a mobile phone. 

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never underestimate the social networking which is being followed closely and arrests made by this government over those posts, or have you not been paying attention to the news etc....over the past 5 plus years.

Have you not been paying attention to what I posted or just have trouble reading? Onemorefarung said somebody must be financing the protests. I replied it does not take much finance. All you need is a mobile phone and data connection. 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually, the establishment has controlled and managed the MSN forever here.

With that in place, over the years there has been a broad variety of independent/alternative sources [mostly IT] available that the ruling oligarchy can't dispose their will upon......though they have tried with failed efforts.

7 hours ago, samtam said:

I see what you did there????

Any serious violence will be catastrophic for Thailand. The events in 1789 did not produce stability for many generations, and what immediately followed was chaos. Ditto the events of 1917.

indeed but there were the same situation.. The rich and in power did not listen to the people who lived in poverty while the rich were using the people to get richer....if the people choose now and the rich/army dare to question or even ban the chosen parties, people will not accept it anymore.. and I strongly believe they don't accept a new coup either.. with big consequences for the one ... too

We live in the 21st century with social media and internet. It is not the same anymore as in the time of Thaksin, or 15 years ago... People know more. The world will be watching too

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

And you think it was better when Thaksin controlled the media?  Is that what your point is?

Next weekend there is an election.

Essentially the idea of an election is for the voters to make a choice based on their perception of the available parties present policies and positions, and their evaluation of their potential future performance.

All you, and others, seem to be able to do is hark back to your perception of the past, and not even the particularly recent past.

It is 17 years since the coup which ousted Thaksin, and it is frankly by no means certain that he had control of either print or broadcast media then!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, billd766 said:

Why will it always will be?

There is a force in the world called progress, and it changes things.

The economic gap is widening in Thailand not decreasing.  I cannot see anything that will change that.  Even on the far distant horizon.

What opportunities do Thai youth have unless they move to another country and who can they look up to as role models?

There were a few promising new leaders emerging.  But they are all in jail now.  Or living in another country in fear everyday that they will be kidnapped and murdered.

Edited by Adumbration