Eligibility for hospital care

Hervey Bay

I have a friend who is going to Thailand to be with his long-term girlfriend, and possibly get married in her hometown in a Buddhist ceremony. 

I just found out that he has a heart condition. This is not covered by health insurance as it is a pre-existing condition. He's not broke but not flush with money either, so is probably going to be reluctant to go to hospital if he has problems when he is there.

In the past, people have died or developed serious problems as a result of not going to hospital promptly.

When I was married to a Thai lady I remember that I went to a public hospital for a minor matter and as we were married, I either didn't have to pay or it was a nominal charge. But I can't recall if that was on the strength of our being married in the Buddhist ceremony or if it was later when were were legally married. Can anyone please advise which type of marriage entitles a foreigner to free or nominal charge health care for something as serious as heart problems ? Or can any foreigner....even a tourist....front up at a public hospital and get treated along with the hordes of locals ?

Edited by Hervey Bay
Spacing inserted
  • Confused 2

Hospital treatment is definitely not free in Thailand for Foreigners , married 

or not,  many years ago Thaksin allowed free hospital treatment for foreigners

with a yellow book , i only had a few months worth and it was cancelled by 

the next Government , So he did do some good things and was not so xenophobic

as current Government. hospital treatment available if you have a work permit , i believe

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

Unless his wife is a government worker then there is no free care, also unless he registers the marriage at an Amphur, then he wont be legally  married, a Buddhist ceremony in a village is not a legal marriage(does he know this?),  Is this her idea or his.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, howerde said:

Buddhist ceremony in a village is not a legal marriage(does he know this?),

So that will rule out getting an extension based on marriage.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As others have said there is no special entitlement due to being married to a Thai.

If his wife is a government civil servant and they legally marry (registered in the ampur) he will be covered under the Civil Service SS scheme. Otherwise he has to pay ouf of pocket. He can use government hospitals but will have to pay full price.

He should not move here unless he can afford to put aside at least 3 million baht for health care and replenish it as used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1