Tourism Fee Collection Postponed Until September

snoop1130

e93f7b8d167355fadc2c70c94e20a4cb_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has said that the implementation of the Thailand Tourism Fee (TTF) has been postponed from June to September 1, 2023, to ensure a smooth and efficient TTF system.

According to Phiphat, discussions with airlines are ongoing to determine the appropriate collection method in accordance with the rules of the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

The TTF, to be collected from foreign tourists entering Thailand by air, land, or sea, aims at generating funds to support the tourism industry. The government has set the fee at 300 baht per person, with half of the proceeds to be used for promoting domestic tourism, while the other half will be used for tourism development and support.

Phiphat stated that the postponement of the TTF implementation date will allow sufficient time for the government to ensure that the TTF system operates smoothly and effectively. The government is working closely with airlines to determine the most suitable method for collecting the TTF in accordance with the IATA.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230505144635074

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

They are today talking about a 1000 baht departure tax to discourage people from spending baht abroad - is this on top of the 1000 baht re-admission fee to preserve your Extension of Stay status?

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

They are today talking about a 1000 baht departure tax to discourage people from spending baht abroad

Can you post a link to the source of this rumour?

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Today's BP.

Apparently all people who depart Thailand have to pay the fee including Thais to discourage them from spending too much money abroad.. ????

Edited by jonclark
  • Haha 1

I've just read that they now want to possibly levy a departure tax of a 1000 baht.

To prevent and this is the laughable bit Thais leaving the country and spend excessively overseas and narrow the trade gap...

Obviously being a Thai proposal there was no indication given on what the money would be used for but I am sure we all know where it will end up, in the trough along with the arrival duty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Apparently all people who depart Thailand have to pay the fee including Thais to discourage them from spending too much money abroad.. ????

Not how I read it. Thais and foreign permanent residents. Think that excludes people on long term permission of stays. Could have interpreted it wrong of course but it is a brain fart of an idea anyway

Arrival tax? Wait for a (government) departure tax...

"Departure tax proposed

Thais and foreign residents would pay 1,000 baht to leave the country via air under surprise levy (...)

The (Revenue) department posted the public hearing questionnaire on its website (...)

(...) in an attempt to prevent locals from spending excessively abroad (...)"

(Source: BP, 6th May, 2023.

Links to BP articles aren't allowed here, and I wasn't like typing the whole text here. Who's interested can visit the source online.)

To comment on this, if I had to pay this levy every time I left the country, I'd spend even more abroad on things that are cheaper there than in Thailand, just to compensate for this extra tax, meaning 1,000 baht more for Thailand's revenue department, but thousands less spent in Thailand, but instead abroad.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How many times has this can been kicked down the road.  Of course until a new government is in place to decide the status of such a fee it is a moot point

I think the implementation itself is too difficult... 

The only way for this to work is to remove the ‘Visa exempt arrival’ and charge for tourist visa on arrival instead....  which means extra queues...  OR, to shift the cost on to hotels and charge a ’tourist’ tax to non-residents, again, it takes organisation and knowhow to implement. 

Each new administration thinks its a good idea, those in positions of decision making power light up at the potential $$ then can skim...   then they realise the impossibly of implementation and the poor optics of doing so badly..... 

... after initial announcements a little face saving ensures there is no official cancellation, but the can is kicked down the road until it goes quiet....  they have 3 months now to come up with a face saving excuse not to pursue this.

Such ‘schemes’ are idea of those in fundamentally flawed and immature governments and quite representative of the level of evolution of a nation. 

We only need to look as far as Indonesia to see how their attempt to implement a tourist charge highlights the underling greed hidden behind the pretence of ‘polishing’ the tourism industry as they want  to charge US$100 per tourist for entry to Bali in attempt to out-price cheap visitors but completely overlooking the fact that a $400 entry fee would be a show stopper for a family of 4 and the only ones remaining may well be the drunks who consider $100 well spend to booze in Bali !!!... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

To comment on this, if I had to pay this levy every time I left the country, I'd spend even more abroad on things that are cheaper there than in Thailand, just to compensate for this extra tax, meaning 1,000 baht more for Thailand's revenue department, but thousands less spent in Thailand, but instead abroad.

You already pay 700b departure tax now... been the case since 2007

Seems like there is a huge amount of bad communication going on:

- They can't possibly enforce this 300b for specific users as it will be airlines collecting it through ticket sales - airlines won't want the complication

- Revenue depart now saying departure tax 1000b (I assume this is just an increase from the current 700b)

So 700b - Current

+ 300b - new tax

= 1000b departure taxes paid as taxes when you get ticketed