Two German Pedestrians Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Sedan in Pattaya

webfact

On 5/6/2023 at 12:03 AM, moe666 said:

I have seen it several times here in Chiang Mai were the pedestrian just start walking across the road (not in a cross walk) with on coming traffic. It is kind of like I am really dumb but they will stop for me. At some point in time people need to take responsibility for there own safety and not assume so much. Pedestrians need to use caution any where they are,

It is incumbent upon us to demonstrate survival skills at all times. Crossing any road without looking is just the most egregious and negligent sort of mistake. 

In Los Angeles they have strong pedestrian laws. Drivers are ticketed for not allowing a pedestrian to cross. Yet, I see people walking right into flowing traffic at crosswalks without so much as a glance. Some of them die. Oh well. It is a bit like taking fentanyl. You have to know it can kill you. At least have a glance. Geez. 

13 hours ago, Un Homme du Midi said:

That's unfair. Thai's as a whole accept blame as often as most. Every country has its weasels.

Speaking of which....Tom Cullinan's I and III, IV, V looked mighty fine today.

I disagree. I think the acceptance of, and practice of face weakens Thai society to an astonishing degree. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, connda said:

Perhaps he has a valid excuse.  He didn't flee so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. 

It looks like he cut the corner and was on the wrong side of the road.......impatience and stupidity maybe. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Un Homme du Midi said:

That's unfair. Thai's as a whole accept blame as often as most. Every country has its weasels.

I am bewildered as to who Tom C is; I looked him up to find he is some kind of US shareholder?

I would dispute your claim that Thais hold their hands up to accept blame not just for accidents but anything where money or face is concerned.  I have no stats to support my belief and accept that nearly 20 years of reading about Thai traffic  misdemeanors on this site may have coloured my perception.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It looks like he cut the corner and was on the wrong side of the road.......impatience and stupidity maybe. 

Am guessing he's turned right at the Corner of the new Space Hotel (Naklua 20 Alley) & instead of going all the way across the oncoming lanes to the correct lanes, has tried to "Filter" into it ploughing into the 2 German gents on the way. 

Terrible driving as there didn't seem to be anything stopping him from driving all the way across to the correct lanes, just impatient & a complete lack of awareness of anything else on the road.  

• Like 1

In the video its appears the car not speeding but why the hell he not see the two man in front off him??

thay stoped in the middle off the road and the driver must have looked to the left or right, seeing a lady  (or boy ) what took his atention off the road!!!

But its terrible for these 2 man...

i hope a soon and full recovery.  

Edited by gerritkaew
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Kevin Taylor said:

Yep I have watched the video. To me they are stood in the middle of the road, doesn't really matter that they are standing on the white line. Don't do that, Lane discipline isn't for <deleted> here. Don't assume people will drive in their lane and be paying attention. That being said I feel bad for the guys and yes now I see the video the driver was not paying attention. My point is don't give anyone the chance to run you over. Seriously if you have to wait 5 mins to get a gap to cross the road then wait 5 min. If the traffic is too busy then cross somewhere else otherwise your putting your life in the hands of someone else. If your dead it's not really relevant who's fault it is your still dead.

Anyone reading this can cross the road however they want I However do not trust Pattaya drivers so I won't give them the chance to kill me.

I don't disagree with this...

But, when discussing fault, it's still 100% the drivers fault.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
On 5/7/2023 at 4:27 AM, Un Homme du Midi said:

I disagree. I think the acceptance of, and practice of face weakens Thai society to an astonishing degree. 

Absolutely agree...  In general society and in the work place there is general lean towards avoidance of responsibility and acceptance of fault here in Thailand - As you mention, the primary reason for this through all facets of society, is face

Levy even polite criticism at a Thai and you can see them holding back annoyance, anger and hurt - in general Thai folk are just not wired to handle criticism and we as foreigners often learn this quite quickly. Of course the facet of this is a more relaxed non-confrontational society, but also one where accountability and blame is avoided with the obvious consequences we see here. 

Thus: I do not recognise that ‘most’ Thai’s accept blame as often as most other (i.e. Westerners) - not to Thai bash, but this is where I definitely see a difference in cultures / mindset between Thai and Western. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree...  In general society and in the work place there is general lean towards avoidance of responsibility and acceptance of fault here in Thailand - As you mention, the primary reason for this through all facets of society, is face

Levy even polite criticism at a Thai and you can see them holding back annoyance, anger and hurt - in general Thai folk are just not wired to handle criticism and we as foreigners often learn this quite quickly. Of course the facet of this is a more relaxed non-confrontational society, but also one where accountability and blame is avoided with the obvious consequences we see here. 

Thus: I do not recognise that ‘most’ Thai’s accept blame as often as most other (i.e. Westerners) - not to Thai bash, but this is where I definitely see a difference in cultures / mindset between Thai and Western. 

Good points. As a Westerner I can accept blame, apologize for an offense caused and take responsibility for my actions. No big deal. I care not one iota if I "lose face". Means less than zero to me what others think of me. Some will say it is a cultural difference. True. But, what about the deeper aspects of self esteem and having enough of it to be able to act like a man? A real man accepts responsibility for problems he has caused. When that is being constantly deflected due to a pathological fear of looking bad in the eyes of others, that creates enormous problems for society. I despise the practice of face, and think it is the single greatest weakness of many Thai people. 

Many years ago my motorbike was parked outside of a bar, and some fool drove by trying to squeeze in between an oncoming car and the bikes. He smashed into about 5 bikes. Then he got up and drove away. I asked the bartender if she recognized him and she said, yeah we all know who he is. The police found him within an hour. 

We met at the police station. I told him exactly what I thought of him. That he was not a man. That he was a tiny coward for running away. That he was not raised correctly and was a loser. He was shocked. Guess nobody had ever told him the truth before. He was obviously an overly coddled creep. He even asked me to lie to his insurance company about what happened. I told him that I was not going to help him with his failed life. That was on him. 

Edited by spidermike007

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As a Westerner I can accept blame, apologize for an offense caused and take responsibility for my actions. No big deal. I care not one iota if I "lose face".

I think that actually does the opposite of losing face. It makes you a man. Depending on the severity of what you did wrong, it makes you someone that can earn respect. None of us are perfect, being able to admit, apologies for and make good on our mistakes is what differentiates us from those that I have zero time for.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

n the video its appears the car not speeding but why the hell he not see the two man in front off him??

I suspect he was only looking for vehicles coming  from that direction..... pedestrians are given no mind. 

16 hours ago, Un Homme du Midi said:

Well, to be clear, my observation was "Thai's as a whole accept blame as often as most. Every country has its weasels." Emphasis on "as often as most".

All countries have their fill of weasels who run, hide from their responsibility, and wriggle out of blame, I guess. That's not unique to Thailand. Similarly, I've observed many Thai's, from the full spectrum of society, apologize, excuse themselves, and concede, at times quite readily. My point was just that it seemed to be about on par w/ most middle and advanced economies.

Tom Cullinan? Good you asked. A good Irishman. Yes, the reference was unintelligible and oblique. One of my many late night bad jokes.

In honor of the Coronation, I was taking an unnecessarily cheap shot against Chuck and Cammy, as (possible) examples of "Every country has its weasels." Ha, ha. Bad joke. Never forgave that whole crowd for what they did to Diana, not to mention Ireland.

Several of the Cullinan diamonds (I and III, IV, V) featured in the day's bling. One even replaced the Koh-i-Noor, which of course has its own shadiness. Tom Cullinan owned the mine, invested in from his work as a bricklayer, where, to this day, I think, the largest ever gem-quality diamond was discovered.

Tom Cullinan: Irishman. Bricklayer. Prospector. Then Diamond Magnate. The guys who do the work and take the risk deserve their credit.

Phew.  Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2023 at 10:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

It is incumbent upon us to demonstrate survival skills at all times. Crossing any road without looking is just the most egregious and negligent sort of mistake. 

In Los Angeles they have strong pedestrian laws. Drivers are ticketed for not allowing a pedestrian to cross. Yet, I see people walking right into flowing traffic at crosswalks without so much as a glance. Some of them die. Oh well. It is a bit like taking fentanyl. You have to know it can kill you. At least have a glance. Geez. 

That were running from that bar. Would have too.

image.png.6ab74030e51937e6d883bf6d4e060d68.png

On 5/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, Mavideol said:

the typical brake failure comes to mind  555

from the video (around 45s) it looks like they were standing unmoving on the center line waiting for the traffic to pass, when the (red) car drove over the center line to hit them.

Just before impact, no idea what the car driver was thinking/doing

Looks deliberate!

germans.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

from the video (around 45s) it looks like they were standing unmoving on the center line waiting for the traffic to pass, when the (red) car drove over the center line to hit them.

Just before impact, no idea what the car driver was thinking/doing

Looks deliberate!

germans.jpg

They aren't using a crosswalk. And are just rather casually wandering across the road, not even looking to their right or looking at all. They stand in the middle of the road to plan the rest of their night. That's not how you cross a 4 lane road in Pattaya

Edited by Harsh Jones