Today’s summer storm forecast, Thais warned of heavy rain, strong wind and hail

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Unsplash

By Samantha Rose

Today, Thailand’s Meteorological Department forecasted a 24-hour weather outlook, with the northern region experiencing summer storms characterised by thunderstorms, strong winds, and isolated hail. Some areas may also experience lightning.

Residents in these regions are advised to exercise caution during summer storms, avoiding open spaces, large trees, weak structures, and billboards. It is also recommended to avoid wearing metallic items and using mobile phones during thunderstorms. Farmers should prepare to protect their agricultural produce and livestock from potential damage.

This weather phenomenon is due to a high-pressure system originating from China, which is spreading to cover the upper part of Vietnam and the South China Sea. It is expected to cover the upper part of Thailand and the South China Sea between today and 10 May. Meanwhile, southerly and south-easterly winds are bringing moisture from the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea, covering the upper part of Thailand, with hot to very hot conditions presented in these areas.

From May 8 to 14, westerly and south-westerly winds covering the Andaman Sea, southern Thailand, and the Gulf of Thailand will strengthen. These conditions, combined with the presence of a low-pressure area over the southern Bay of Bengal, will result in increased thunderstorm activity in the south. The Andaman Sea is expected to have waves reaching around one metre, while areas experiencing thunderstorms may see waves of over two metres. Boat operators are advised to exercise caution and avoid areas with thunderstorms.

The weather forecast for Thailand, starting from 12 am today until 12 am tomorrow, is as follows:

Northern Region: General hot to very hot conditions, with isolated afternoon thundershowers and strong winds affecting 10% of the area, primarily in Mae Hong Son, Tak, Uttaradit, and Phetchabun provinces. Minimum temperature 25-30°C, maximum temperature 39-43°C. Winds from the southwest, with speeds of 10-20 km/h.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather/summer-storm-forecast-for-8th-may-thais-warned-of-heavy-rain-strong-wind-and-hail

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

51 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What a relief here. Cloud covered sky, a fresh breeze and some gusts.

Forecast for rain is quite disappointing with 20 mm.

Still no trace of rice planting.

In our neck of the woods they normally don't start planting until June.  Maybe later this year as it doesn't look like the monsoons are going to start until June this year.  However the sources I read say that the monsoon should bring at least 96% of "normal" rainfall this year.  I hope so.  All of our local catch basins are as dry as I've seen them.  This super dry, hot air is evaporating a lot of water out of these mini-reservoirs.

• Sad 2

What a strange headline. THAIS are warned. No-one else?

The weather app I get with Windows has for the past two weeks shown cooler weather and cloud with rain on some days, ongoing as from today. And it's spot on. Ready to enjoy the temperature plunging from the high 30s or above to the lower 30s.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Forecast says summer storms expected in the northern regions with a nice op photo of phra pathom chedi temple Nakhon Pathom which is one hour west from Bangkok [and 5 minutes from my home]

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

I put the fan outside and blew the cooler air into the house to cool it down  the walls have been so hot the poor air con has had a job keeping up. 

Today I could take warm shower......from the walls were so heated up that they could heat the water like an heat exchanger....Never had that....OK not cool is normal but it was a warm/hot shower temperature....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What a strange headline. THAIS are warned. No-one else?

its amazing what kind of offence you can find when you are looking really hard for it,

get over yourself

It is, as so often, poor journalism. Some are clearly ok with that. Others have higher standards.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is, as so often, poor journalism. Some are clearly ok with that. Others have higher standards.

Ah, it's "standards" and not the ridiculously over-sensitive farang victim complex we see so often here. I see.

So you would prefer the headline to be:

Today’s summer storm forecast, everybody in the country regardless of nationality warned of heavy rain, strong wind and hail.

And you can Google any random weather warning and then and write emails to fix their headlines too. I'm guessing the standards are not good enough for this either as it should clearly be, "US weather forecast: 23 million Americans and other nationalities face heavy winter storm warnings. Check locations".

Honestly, how ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 16.18.20.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ah, it's "standards" and not the ridiculously over-sensitive farang victim complex we see so often here. I see.

So you would prefer the headline to be:

Today’s summer storm forecast, everybody in the country regardless of nationality warned of heavy rain, strong wind and hail.

And you can Google any random weather warning and then and write emails to fix their headlines too. I'm guessing the standards are not good enough for this either as it should clearly be, "US weather forecast: 23 million Americans and other nationalities face heavy winter storm warnings. Check locations".

Honestly, how ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 16.18.20.png

How about Summer Storms Forecast, hmm? No nationality needed as they affect everyone. I think my headline is better than your suggested headlines, but I'm sure you disagree. Some people like to see things done correctly and that's the way I was brought up and was taught, while others don't give a rat's fart.

I don't really care what you think. I simply mentioned that stating a particular nationality, and only one, is improper and unnecessary. My work is dealing with language and ensuring accuracy at all times, but I accept that standard doesn't matter to most. If you or anyone else is happy with lower standards, fine. But there is no need to come on here criticising me for pointing out what was a poorly written headline.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park we had our first "real" rain this year. Thunder and lightning a few times but for an hour we had steady rain.

Puddles on the concrete and in the ruts, but the ground is still mostly baked hard.

I swear I even heard the trees saying thank you.

The outside temperature dropped 10 degrees C in 3 hours to a comfortable 29.7C at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I would suggest if you want quality journalism Aseannow.com and the Thaiger are not the place to look. 

21 hours ago, Almer said:

I put the fan outside and blew the cooler air into the house to cool it down  the walls have been so hot the poor air con has had a job keeping up. 

Just what I did last night. It was pouring with rain , lightning , thunder , lights on the blink. Put the fan by the door , so much cooler outside the house. but I do like a storm at night .

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, Almer said:

Yes.....these single skin walls are, in effect, storage heaters.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Gknrd said:

It's called insulation.

Put 20 rolls of 6 inch ceiling insulation over my 6 x 6 metre lounge. Not an iota of difference.

Edited by KannikaP

We are doomed.

Some wind and a bit less hot.

But not a drop of rain.

Now white/blue sky and rising temperature.

All the magic forecasts from the big computers in US/UK/Germany/Australia... and Thai Met are for the bin!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 2:08 AM, jacko45k said:

I have bought a 5x2m sunshade and put it up to shade my West facing bedroom wall,

Yes.....just been looking at that option.....also considered plastic/wooden lats on the West facing walls and external shutters on the big picture windows (they were a schoolboy error, should have gone for concertina doors...........too late now).

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, KhunBENQ said:

We are doomed.

Some wind and a bit less hot.

But not a drop of rain.

Now white/blue sky and rising temperature.

All the magic forecasts from the big computers in US/UK/Germany/Australia... and Thai Met are for the bin!

Plenty of rain in CM the past couple of nights.

Smog nearly all gone, temp down from 40c to 32c, mountains are back.

IMG_20230511_123508.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty of rain in CM the past couple of nights.

In the meantime we also got a share.

Furious thunderstorm two nights ago.

Lightning stroke close by, always a "special" bang :omfg:

This night we had lasting rain hoping for more.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, connda said:

In our neck of the woods they normally don't start planting until June.  Maybe later this year as it doesn't look like the monsoons are going to start until June this year.  However the sources I read say that the monsoon should bring at least 96% of "normal" rainfall this year.  I hope so.  All of our local catch basins are as dry as I've seen them.  This super dry, hot air is evaporating a lot of water out of these mini-reservoirs.

Luckily the humidity is so high here that the evaporation rate is quite low, otherwise there would be a severe drought across the country.