Crafty Thai woman allegedly steals British tourist’s Rolex in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Just pointing out the facts. A lot of cheap watches have more features. Plus you can invest in shares or cypto and make more than any watch. Rather limited outlook to think watches are the best investment.

Yeah my cheapie has a calculator function and I can spell boobies on it.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

BINGO - it didn’t take long for someone to post such irrelevant remarks...

'you can tell the time with your mobile’.... Right ???? :whistling:

The fewer reasons for checking your phone, the better.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, webfact said:

he was allegedly deceived

How was he deceived?  Unless she promised not to leave with his valuables while he was showering, it's just simple theft.

Chinese "business" hotels have solved this problem.  The bathrooms have floor-to-ceiling glass walls so you can observe your guest while showering.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, hotchilli said:

Watch sitting on the bed-side table brains elsewhere.

His brain was at the airport where many farangs leave their's too ????

1 hour ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Status symbol.

I have seen the video of the guy (Pattaya News) and a blurry picture of his million Baht Rolex. A typical younger Pattaya guy, heavily tattooed with T-shirt and shorts.

Not wearing any other jewelry/gold/chains at the police station.

So he would be an extreme example of understatement.

Simply does not fit the typical gold/diamond Rolex owner.

I looked through hundreds of pictures of Rolex watches.

Up to now not a single one that comes close.

Just saying.

Any experienced watch experts here?

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have seen the video of the guy (Pattaya News) and a blurry picture of his million Baht Rolex. A typical younger Pattaya guy, heavily tattooed with T-shirt and shorts.

Just saying.

Fake Rolex? 

19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just saying.

Post the best photo you can from the video...  

I’m not a watch expert, but (if you haven’t already guessed) I like them and can probably pick out what model it is with a clear photo. 

What does, btw ???

I know footballers who are tatted up and have high end AP watches.

I know tatted up rig workers who have expensive model Rolex’s.

I know clean suited and booted CEO’s / GMs / Lawyers etc... they have high end watches, Rolex etc... 

There’s a lot to be said for taste...  but, while we all judge on stereotype, I think it's becoming more and more difficult to judge these days. 

One perfect example is the Singer Post Malone - ridiculously tatted up and looks a complete mess, yet by all examples, interviews and meets and greets with the public he seems one of the nicest genuine people we could meet - he probably doesn’t own a Rolex, but he’s extremely minted... it would be impossible for a stranger to tell...

And that could be the same for many tatted up Rolex wearing Expats in Thailand..  you never know. 

Edited by richard_smith237

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No better found.

image.png.28dd4332083890da83e6d92b29fa7352.png

Thats good enough.... I recognised a Yellow Gold Rolex Day-date with a fluted bezel ...

After running a Websearch - I found the same watch on Chrono24

So its a ...  Yellow Gold Day-Date 36mm with Myriad Numeral Diamond’ Dial 

I suspect its a genuine model, its also quite rare but not rare enough to make it crazy valuable...

The value would be about 700 to 800,000 baht.... if its in excellent condition with full set (box papers etc)

...  no reason to suspect its fake from the photos... 

The reason why - its not a common model at all... its usually the more popular models that are faked (i.e. modern Yachtmasters, Submariners, Daytona’s, Datejust etc)...   

Example here (Chrono24)

example here... 

Here’s another pic of the same model - a horrific looking thing IMO..  

But, as the guys said, it has sentimental value, perhaps it was his fathers or something, which makes it all the more silly that he left it out like that. 

I hope he finds it. 

image.thumb.png.d271c3e17b1c9730a9b5ff0d21e89635.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 5/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, webfact said:

Thai woman allegedly steals British tourist’s Rolex in Pattaya 

Who wears  a Rolex in Pattaya? 

Guy is a showoff. 

Rolex should only be worn when going to the Opera etc. 

Places I never go, so I leave mine in my Kasikorn safety deposit box and allow it to appreciate. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats good enough.... I recognised a Yellow Gold Rolex Day-date with a fluted bezel ...

After running a Websearch - I found the same watch on Chrono24

So its a ...  Yellow Gold Day-Date 36mm with Myriad Numeral Diamond’ Dial 

I suspect its a genuine model, its also quite rare but not rare enough to make it crazy valuable...

The value would be about 700 to 800,000 baht.... if its in excellent condition with full set (box papers etc)

...  no reason to suspect its fake from the photos... 

The reason why - its not a common model at all... its usually the more popular models that are faked (i.e. modern Yachtmasters, Submariners, Daytona’s, Datejust etc)...   

Example here (Chrono24)

example here... 

Here’s another pic of the same model - a horrific looking thing IMO..  

But, as the guys said, it has sentimental value, perhaps it was his fathers or something, which makes it all the more silly that he left it out like that. 

I hope he finds it. 

image.thumb.png.d271c3e17b1c9730a9b5ff0d21e89635.png

Tacky looking though.

19 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Rolex watches totally overpriced give me a G Shock every day of the week I have several but my favourite one is the one I’ve had since 1999 from Japan I wear it every day it’s never been serviced and it looks as good as the day I purchased it .

Apparently this particular thieving tart thinks differently.....I tend to agree, I would go for a nice Rolex too, although I would not want one looking too blingy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bignok said:

Tacky looking though.

Agree... certainly not my cup of tea... but, the watch is a few decades old, has sentimental value and is clearly something passed on to him (the victim of theft)....   

... I wouldn’t want to wear that (or any gold coloured watch or anything adorned with bling), but understand people are different. 

There are other ‘sport models’ that look more ‘normal’...  (i.e. Explorer II and Submariner).

But..  you have been clear that you are not really a ‘watch guy’ at all (just like some guys are not car-guys etc).... So I suspect you may consider any higher end watch somewhat tacky. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:33 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I know guys in Brazil who go out with one ID card and just cash... when (IF) their money runs out they just go home...

They wouldn’t even bother wearing a cheap watch and would usually get stopped / robbed of what they have left on their way home.

Do we know each other? I always do like this when out and about.

Oh, that has cheered me up. Anybody flashing about in an expensive watch deserves to get it stolen as do people who wear three baht chains in public. What is their point ? I had £3k spare I didn’t need. ? 

On 5/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, jacko45k said:

This dirty unwashed likes to shower after! (With my watch on!)

Good to hear you have nice habits.

Must ask though; does the water not cause the watch to malfunction? I had an Lidl watch once, and as soon as it got wet it would stop. I'd put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it was good to go.. It never kept good time though.

But that was a long time ago when I thought wearing a nice watch would impress women; just like my Ford Cortina did.

Here in Thailand, one doesn't have to be so sophisticated as drive a Cortina. Just have a twenty baht note stick out of ya shirt top pocket;and wander about. That's well enough.

Edited by owl sees all

Just now, owl sees all said:

Must ask though; does the water not cause the watch to malfunction

No, it is claimed to be good to 200m below water, although I repeat what I said when I purchased it,  'if I happen to be 200m below water, I won't care what time it is'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No, it is claimed to be good to 200m below water, although I repeat what I said when I purchased it,  'if I happen to be 200m below water, I won't care what time it is'

Not electric then? Like me old Lidl one.

Edited by owl sees all
inserted 'old'.