Englishman fights for his life after motorbike crash in Phuket, Thailand

snoop1130

image-59.jpg

Photo via GoFundMe

A young Englishman is fighting for his life in the hospital after losing a significant amount of blood in a horror motorbike crash in Phuket, southern Thailand, on Monday, May 1.

The tourist, 25 year old Liam Kilby from Liverpool, was on holiday in Phuket with friends when he crashed into a shopfront.

After suffering blood loss and falling into cardiac arrest, Kilby remains in a coma at Vachira Phuket Hospital. Doctors diagnosed him with post-cardiac arrest syndrome and rhabdomyolysis – or kidney failure.

Kilby’s family said they are finding out more details day by day but feel “helpless” and “traumatised” by the news.

His 23 year old sister Molly said…

“Liam was on holiday in Phuket, Thailand, when he got into an accident riding a motorbike out on the roads. We don’t know the full story as Liam is still in a coma but presume he swerved to avoid a pothole. He ended up going through a shop window and the mirror outside of it, which smashed and cut Liam across his throat, causing an 8cm long wound. He also had chunks of glass sticking in his head, his face, his hands, everywhere.

“His friend pulled the glass out of his throat thinking it would help, and the blood all went down… An ambulance was called and he died in the back of the ambulance from blood loss but was resuscitated thankfully. This has left him with “post-cardiac arrest syndrome” which is incredibly serious.”

Liam underwent surgery in Phuket to stitch his throat and a second surgery on his kidneys…

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/englishman-fights-for-his-life-after-motorbike-crash-in-phuket-thailand

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 9

It's the ol' "swerved to avoid a pothole." No mention of the mythical "fine print" on the insurance policy. Or of any insurance policy.

Horrific, though. May he survive.

Good luck w/ that GFM. Our Brits band together and create a Provident Fund for their many uninsured countrymen crashing their motorbikes in Thailand and ending up on breathing tubes.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

Ever since people rode on two wheels there has been this sort of carnage, and that is everywhere, not just here. One dumb mistake, yours or the other guy’s, is all it takes. Poor guy, and his family. I no longer make my mistakes on two wheels, but something will get me sooner or later

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

poor young man, very tragic accident,  hope he recovers fully and realizes the danger of riding a bike in Thailand. We prey he has the strength to get well.

It’s the same everywhere, not just here. I don’t think crashing your bike through a plate glass window has anything to do with where it happened, it has to do with him driving through a plate glass window.

• Like 2

Rhabdomyolysis (also called rhabdo) is a condition in which damaged skeletal muscle breaks down rapidly. Symptoms may include muscle pains, weakness, vomiting, and confusion.There may be tea-colored urine or an irregular heartbeat. Some of the muscle breakdown products, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and can cause acute kidney injury. The muscle damage is mostly caused by a crush injury, strenuous exercise, medications, or a substance use disorder.

• Like 1

"pulling the glass out of his throat"

I wonder if some kind of 1st aid instruction could/should be given to rental motorbike riders on treatment of possible injuries that might prevent more damage, in this case severe blood loss with removal of glass lodged in throat? Should rental motorbikes include a 1st aid kit?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Wonder what the actual circumstances were. The pothole story has alot of holes in it. Was he a skilled driver? Was he wearing a high quality helmet? Was he sober? Was another vehicle involved? So many questions. 

Thinking there might be a pothole involved is very, very British as the number of them in the UK is a national and long-standing scandal. So it's natural that his sister might think that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

How many more this year before people realise there is a serious problem.

It's no good for the "told-you-so" brigade bemoaning a lack of insurance.

Thailand has a responsibility for the safety of visitors and there needs to be a system in place to deal with people with no i=or insufficient insurance - this WILL happen again and again.

Hospitals need to know they will get paid and then either the victims, their families or a fund needs to be brought in to finance this. THe first thing is to sae lives - not keep people in stasis until the money turns up.

Yes, clearly it time that all non-Thais are barred from owning, renting and riding motorcycles in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Thailand has no NHS like in the UK so no free medical help here for visitors. More similar to the USA, you will pay through the nose after an accident unless you have insurance that covers you completely. The fact that insurers aren't your friend means they won't pay if they aren't liable. No use crying over the cost. 

Why do these guys come and get on a motorbike with no experience and no helmet i don't know. They think they're indestructible. 

Why should you not have to pay if you have no insurance? 

In any evert, in the US you only have to pay if you have money.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

"pulling the glass out of his throat"

I wonder if some kind of 1st aid instruction could/should be given to rental motorbike riders on treatment of possible injuries that might prevent more damage, in this case severe blood loss with removal of glass lodged in throat? Should rental motorbikes include a 1st aid kit?

I can only say basic first aid DRABC is part of the driving test in OZ ...

It takes awhile to become profecient at MB riding in Thailand. At first I rode with the same mindset as Thais, undertake all vehicles and such. At times I cringe when I see a young foreign family on a MB ripping down Suk in Pattaya with no helmets. I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So his friend can only visit 1hr a day, the downfall of private hospitals, apart from the cost of course. Life is full of potholes init.

Where does it say the hospital is limiting the visitation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1