Pheu Thai is facing a threat of dissolution with complaint being pursued by Election Commission

webfact

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The desperados army goons will do anything within their power to avoid a free and fair election, where they will lose by a decisive margin. No doubt the election commission is as corrupt as the army. 

Woe is Thailand until the dinosaurs are gone for good. 

That would be nice, but when is it ever likely to happen? I doubt I will see it.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If Pheu Thai are dissolved there will be huge problems ahead..

I wouldn't want to be in the EC shoes making that decision.

EC don't make dissolution decision. If EC accept the legal merits of the complaint, motion will be forwarded to the court. Constitution court decide on whether to dissolve or not. EC is independent at least in theory. But when you have the EC committee members appointed with advise from the senators who were appointed by NCPO, there may be some political expediency issues. Hope EC is truly independent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Some people are able to think, not just of themselves, but others as well. Why would you not want the people in whose country you’ve opted to live to be free. Moral support costs nothing.

I don't even care what happens in the UK let alone Thailand. Interference can get you into trouble here and it isn't appreciated by Thai citizens whatever colour shirt they wear. Thais must sort their own problems out and these can't be that big otherwise they would have done so by now. Yes there have been political protests, mostly half hearted and not very long lasting mostly because when all is said and done the Thais generally have an agreeable life and society functions in a Thai way they are accustomed to, god forbid we should have situations as in Myanmar.

Europe needed 200 years of political reform before we have the standards prevalent today led by galant souls protesting against unspeakable exploitation and poverty, by and large Thais live in a rather benevolent society by comparison due in no small measure to the past struggles in Europe. I don't want to see violence (the last coup was relatively peaceful) and we probably wont, some political upheaval and protests, yes, that's just the way it is until things settle back to the status quo. Thais don't need high and mighty westerners telling them how things should be done, if it's so great back home what are we doing here?

The 10'000 Baht = the proverbial carrot in front of the rabbit. 

In other countries you would call it vote buying; here it is more like "vote paying". All those successive governments over the last decades promised things which had to be executed by the private industry, be it higher minimum salaries, more holidays or, in this case the post-payment of 10'000 Baht. 

In short, this country is very, very, very far off a democracy as the education level of the average Somchai is simply too poor to understand the system. It's like written in the holy bible "forgive them for they do not know what they are doing". Obviously I would go and take while the taking is good and millions of Thais are not interested in whatever lies and cheats are presented as long as their own greed is satisfied ???? 

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't even care what happens in the UK let alone Thailand. Interference can get you into trouble here and it isn't appreciated by Thai citizens whatever colour shirt they wear. Thais must sort their own problems out and these can't be that big otherwise they would have done so by now. Yes there have been political protests, mostly half hearted and not very long lasting mostly because when all is said and done the Thais generally have an agreeable life and society functions in a Thai way they are accustomed to, god forbid we should have situations as in Myanmar.

Europe needed 200 years of political reform before we have the standards prevalent today led by galant souls protesting against unspeakable exploitation and poverty, by and large Thais live in a rather benevolent society by comparison due in no small measure to the past struggles in Europe. I don't want to see violence (the last coup was relatively peaceful) and we probably wont, some political upheaval and protests, yes, that's just the way it is until things settle back to the status quo. Thais don't need high and mighty westerners telling them how things should be done, if it's so great back home what are we doing here?

Thailand is one of (if not the most) unequal societies in the world. That inequality has real life implications - misery and suffering. Yes, Thais have to sort their problems out for themselves. They are actively doing this and the outcome of this election is going to be another huge step forward. In the meantime, is it too much to ask, for expats living in Thailand to not lie about events and individuals involved in Thai politics? To not spread false junta propaganda? I’m sure the families of those that have died fighting for democracy in the last 20 years would be ecstatic to hear you think the efforts and sacrifices of their loved ones were half hearted. Why on earth would anyone ever think autocratic authoritarian rule is preferable to democracy? It is an insane position to hold. Absolutely insane.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The 10'000 Baht = the proverbial carrot in front of the rabbit. 

In other countries you would call it vote buying; here it is more like "vote paying". All those successive governments over the last decades promised things which had to be executed by the private industry, be it higher minimum salaries, more holidays or, in this case the post-payment of 10'000 Baht. 

In short, this country is very, very, very far off a democracy as the education level of the average Somchai is simply too poor to understand the system. It's like written in the holy bible "forgive them for they do not know what they are doing". Obviously I would go and take while the taking is good and millions of Thais are not interested in whatever lies and cheats are presented as long as their own greed is satisfied ???? 

The average Somchai knows a hell of a lot more about what’s going on over here than you do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FarAway said:

In contrast to literally all people here, I would be very happy if Pheu Thai will NOT come into power and will get kicked out.

I think a few people here would actually quite like it if the Move Forward Party won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

You just dont understand "guided democracy"  (they are not mature enough on their own yet). lol

Problem is that I don't know of any wise guide....and I don't know of any large scale real democracy...the western way of giving a vote every 4 years or the US way to vote a dictator for 4 years is also not a real democracy....better than nothing but not something to be proud of

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Thailand is one of (if not the most) unequal societies in the world. That inequality has real life implications - misery and suffering. Yes, Thais have to sort their problems out for themselves. They are actively doing this and the outcome of this election is going to be another huge step forward. In the meantime, is it too much to ask, for expats living in Thailand to not lie about events and individuals involved in Thai politics? To not spread false junta propaganda? I’m sure the families of those that have died fighting for democracy in the last 20 years would be ecstatic to hear you think the efforts and sacrifices of their loved ones were half hearted. Why on earth would anyone ever think autocratic authoritarian rule is preferable to democracy? It is an insane position to hold. Absolutely insane.

no there are plenty of countries where the society is worse....when there is hunger. No one in Thailand is seriously starving.
Yes there are several that lost their live or limbs fighting for Democracy against Thaksin. We know a guy in Chumphon who lost his foot from a "military tear gas grenade" Sure he does not want that criminal coming back.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, h90 said:

no there are plenty of countries where the society is worse....when there is hunger. No one in Thailand is seriously starving.
Yes there are several that lost their live or limbs fighting for Democracy against Thaksin. We know a guy in Chumphon who lost his foot from a "military tear gas grenade" Sure he does not want that criminal coming back.

https://www.aseantoday.com/2019/01/thailands-wealth-inequality-is-the-highest-in-the-world-what-does-this-mean-for-upcoming-elections/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

If you want to see inequality try the UK, I haven't seen any food banks here, in the UK even teachers and nurses use them and let's not talk about homelessness, the only country in Europe tackling this huge problem is Finland. I live in a North Eastern rice farming village, whoever is in charge makes no difference to them, army or pue thai, it's just smoke and mirrors, they get on with their lives and farm and from what I can see they have a decent standard of living. At a neighbour's wedding yesterday 400 people turned up in their best, were wined (beer) and dined watched a stage show and danced, money was collected to help pay for everything, we all had a good time. No old aged pensioners having to choose between heating (aircon) or eating here, Bangkok is a long way off, I speak and read Thai, never heard anyone speak about politics at the local shop (an informal get together place in the mornings and evenings). Big city folks will argue about politics, hot air, it will make no difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If you want to see inequality try the UK, I haven't seen any food banks here, in the UK even teachers and nurses use them and let's not talk about homelessness, the only country in Europe tackling this huge problem is Finland. I live in a North Eastern rice farming village, whoever is in charge makes no difference to them, army or pue thai, it's just smoke and mirrors, they get on with their lives and farm and from what I can see they have a decent standard of living. At a neighbour's wedding yesterday 400 people turned up in their best, were wined (beer) and dined watched a stage show and danced, money was collected to help pay for everything, we all had a good time. No old aged pensioners having to choose between heating (aircon) or eating here, Bangkok is a long way off, I speak and read Thai, never heard anyone speak about politics at the local shop (an informal get together place in the mornings and evenings). Big city folks will argue about politics, hot air, it will make no difference.

The north east is a Pheu Thai stronghold.

Why is that?

Are you as attuned to the local community as you think you are?

The country’s biggest opposition party is not just alive and well, but also more popular than ever, at least according to one shopkeeper at the rally who reported that shirts featuring the party’s logo that had been in stock since before the previous election were once again flying off the shelves. Khon Kaen in Thailand’s northeast is one of Pheu Thai’s traditional strongholds.

Paetongtarn, Pheu Thai take huge lead in Northeast poll as election looms

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Why is that?

The country’s biggest opposition party is not just alive and well, but also more popular than ever, at least according to one shopkeeper at the rally who reported that shirts featuring the party’s logo that had been in stock since before the previous election were once again flying off the shelves. Khon Kaen in Thailand’s northeast is one of Pheu Thai’s traditional strongholds.

I realize that but it just isn't an issue in my (large) village. At the height of the last 'confrontations' I only saw two pickups full of red shirts at the market town 17km from me and a demonstration opposing violence and unrest at the council offices, there was flag waving and a bit of shouting between the two factions but no violence, the red shirts weren't even from our Ampour, they had traveled from Surin to stir up trouble and in the end the police saw them off. The only army I saw during the coup was at Surin railway station, when they saw me, the only farang on the platform they lowered their M16's and grinned sheepishly they were just kids, I got chatting to them, they were pised off and wanted to go back to barracks.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

There are clear election rules, if the Pheu Thai breaks it, it goes to the EC and than court. If they made everything correct than all is good. If they cheated than they are in troubles. Being disbanded and starting with a different name again is already bad.

And what about the clear election rules at the last election where a political leader was banned from taking his seat and the party was dissolved, disenfranchising over 6 million voters after the election? And even after the election the EC broke their own rules about the number of votes needed for a political party to be granted a party list seat.

The EC, the CC and the alphabet soup agencies broke their own rules yet they are still in power for this election. You rabbit on about rules and laws as if they are sacred and cannot be changed, whilst ignoring reality under your nose.

What was illegal in 2019 is STILL illegal today.

The difference is that the majority of Thais, at least the ones I speak to regularly won't accept it happening this time.

58 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Did you miss the bit about farangs feeding Thais in Pattaya and donating food aid in 2019 and 2020?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3109237859161682

There are more links from the Bangkok Post and the Thaiger that I cannot link to but are available on the internet.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And what about the clear election rules at the last election where a political leader was banned from taking his seat and the party was dissolved, disenfranchising over 6 million voters after the election? And even after the election the EC broke their own rules about the number of votes needed for a political party to be granted a party list seat.

The EC, the CC and the alphabet soup agencies broke their own rules yet they are still in power for this election. You rabbit on about rules and laws as if they are sacred and cannot be changed, whilst ignoring reality under your nose.

What was illegal in 2019 is STILL illegal today.

The difference is that the majority of Thais, at least the ones I speak to regularly won't accept it happening this time.

Did you miss the bit about farangs feeding Thais in Pattaya and donating food aid in 2019 and 2020?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3109237859161682

There are more links from the Bangkok Post and the Thaiger that I cannot link to but are available on the internet.

Missed that, good for them but I presume this was a temporary thing due to covid lock down. The food banks in the UK are permanent and increasing with proper offices and rooms. They don't just provide food but also clothing, blankets, kids toys, and even electrical equipment. They can't keep pace with demand, these people have to provide confirmation from social services as proof that they are needy. Another thing on the increase is debt help services, people are maxing out their credit cards for basics, food, rent, gas, electric etc. and are seeking help how to deal with their debtors. I've seen examples on YouTube of families, now homeless, with debts totaling 40,000 pounds. Marriage breakups, kids on tranquilizers, it's heart breaking, life in a Thai farming village would seem like paradise. 100 million pounds for a coronation and two aircraft carriers and a new class of nuclear submarines though so we must be doing OK.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FarAway said:

In contrast to literally all people here, I would be very happy if Pheu Thai will NOT come into power and will get kicked out.

Do you even read what they wanna do? They want to implement a DIGITAL WALLET working on Blockchain that ensures that people do not spend the money in a radius more than 5km around their home.

Remind me heavily of the "15-minute-cities" being proposed by the WEF.

Yes sure, right now this requirement is just for the free money they promise people. But you know how it works. Step-by-step. In the future the digital wallet will be mandatory for everyone, Big Brother can follow all of your transactions and if you are naughty they will restrict you to 1km radius around your house for your spendings ???? ???? ????

Not even mentioning that I heavily dislike Thaksin and his family personally.

All hail the current gov and the prosperity they brought to the nation then

14 hours ago, FarAway said:

Do you even read what they wanna do? They want to implement a DIGITAL WALLET working on Blockchain that ensures that people do not spend the money in a radius more than 5km around their home.

Remind me heavily of the "15-minute-cities" being proposed by the WEF.

Yes sure, right now this requirement is just for the free money they promise people. But you know how it works. Step-by-step. In the future the digital wallet will be mandatory for everyone, Big Brother can follow all of your transactions and if you are naughty they will restrict you to 1km radius around your house for your spendings ???? ???? ????

Not even mentioning that I heavily dislike Thaksin and his family personally.

You appear to be "far away" from accepting a democratic state. The thing about democracy is that being on the "cutting edge" of freedom one can cut oneself back to loss of freedom. But there's more personal choice to one's fate than being forced otherwise.

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Why is that?

Two things can be true at the same time.  Perhaps he is very attuned and his local village is extremely apolitical and at the same time the region as a whole is more radical and populist (bully for them I say). 

6 hours ago, h90 said:

And than they vote for Thaksin...which serves 1 person and his family or the other oligarch from the car manufacturer family?

The problem that you are overlooking is that in every case instead of the people rectifying the situation democratically a small group of people force the military to take over rule of the country. 

It is the will of the people that they have to decide and vote as to whether one party is better than another.  These coups are set up by the rich because they disagree with what the party in power is doi8ng or go to court with mickey mouse charges that are killing the will of the people.

Someone tell me a true democratic country that outlaws saying anything about the other parties.  That makes it unlawful to point out in an election what the past government did that was wrong or done wrong.

If the military and the person that remains nameless really want Thailand to be a democratic country then they will let the will of the people stand.  They may not like it almost as much as many Thais did not like the past few years but leave it and let things go to an election and if necessa,ry then a non-confidence if the party in power screws the pooch.

I am wondering when was the last time this country had 3 elections in a row without a military coup in between?

Let the people see how the PT operate I think it is safe to say that they are not going to have a majority.  Let the people see how effective the MFP is.  Let them see what these mini parties like BJT and UTN really do when they have no ability to suck up and become part of the government. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, h90 said:

It is not the current administration....it is BJ....which is a coalition party, which was also close to Thaksin before. They don't care for the army they care for themself only. And they care when the MF lie about them. They wouldn't have care if they would have lied about Prayuth

BJT has a history that says to stay relevant in any way they will suck up to whomever is in power.  Remember the same guy that thought Thaksin was great was the one that was the Health minister and spearheaded the masks and the non-regulting of marijuana as a high ranking member of the past government high-ranking

7 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Someone tell me a true democratic country that outlaws saying anything about the other parties.  That makes it unlawful to point out in an election what the past government did that was wrong or done wrong.

Even a pure democracy is undesirable in many ways.  I'd say a more useful complaint is how corrupt a given government is.  We need to measure this objectively, but I'd say just for one thing not allowing officials to personally financially profit from their position would be a good start. 

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

You appear to be "far away" from accepting a democratic state. The thing about democracy is that being on the "cutting edge" of freedom one can cut oneself back to loss of freedom. But there's more personal choice to one's fate than being forced otherwise.

There is a lot of talk about freedom here, perhaps one should define it. If you live in any society you are not free, you have basic freedoms given to you by the state but no more. Let us take a young man in any western state;- must you pay taxes, yes, must you obey the laws of your state, even if you disagree with some of them, yes. Is it required that you work for a living, yes, If war is declared would you be called up to fight, yes, If you break an important law of your state would you be imprisoned, yes, are you allowed to express views that could cause offense to others or lead to violence, no, etc. etc.

Our constrained freedom, which seems satisfactory to me, is can I choose to work and live where I want to, yes, can I spend my money legally as I choose, yes, am I protected by law from violence or theft, yes, If I am ill will the state look after me, yes, can I choose to leave the state when I wish, yes, is my privacy respected, yes, do I have the right to a fair trial, yes, is there a free press, yes.

Anything else is decoration, philosophical banter for an average citizen, who cares who holds high office, PM's, generals, come and go like the seasons. Now of course if I have a state like Myanmar all bets are off, the state is not worthy but it would take courage to rebel, would I find the courage to fight a state from within like Nazi Germany, China, Russia, Myanmar, no I would not. Life is a compromise, there are those, tall like oak trees, willing to risk all, unbending in the pursuit of 'freedom' and then there are small bushes like myself, growing in their shade.