Trump ignites fresh controversy after outlandish primetime appearance on CNN

onthedarkside

24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Second, they need a better moderator and format next time. Kaitlyn (sp) was not up to the job, and as is normal with modern journalists tried to make the show about HER.  A Town Hall is to let the candidate and the people interact, not for the moderator to constantly interject and debate with the candidate. They spent more than 20 minutes talking about January 6, and about 3 minutes on the economy.  

The format is whatever was agreed upon by the Trump team & CNN. But given the softball nature of the questions posed by this audience of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, it's not surprising that you would attempt to invoke some  convenient definition of what rules this interview was supposed to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loved the “nasty person” comment.  And so did the audience.

Gotta wonder—did Biden get a standing ovation at the introduction to his CNN Town Hall?

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It pains me to say this but I am starting to like CNN.

Good for you!! This from CNN Anderson Cooper

“If we all only listen to those we agree with, it may actually do the opposite. If lies are allowed to go unchecked, as imperfect as our ability to check them is on a stage in real-time, those lies continue and those lies spread,” Cooper continued.

“If you’re angry or upset, I understand. But you have the power to do something about it,” he concluded. “You can actually get involved. You can make a difference, whatever side of the aisle you’re on. After last night, none of us can say, ‘I didn’t know what’s out there. I didn’t know what’s coming.’”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/anderson-cooper-addresses-disturbing-trump-025940399.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

The format is whatever was agreed upon by the Trump team & CNN. But given the softball nature of the questions posed by this audience of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, it's not surprising that you would attempt to invoke some  convenient definition of what rules this interview was supposed to follow.

No convenient definition- everyone knows a "town hall" style meeting is intended as a way for a politician to interact directly with their constituents, and for the constituents to let their feelings be known without being filtered.  It was NOT an "interview".  The anchor used by CNN attempted to make it into an interview but was ultimately not successful.  The focus should be the audience and not the journalist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

No convenient definition- everyone knows a "town hall" style meeting is intended as a way for a politician to interact directly with their constituents, and for the constituents to let their feelings be known without being filtered.  It was NOT an "interview".  The anchor used by CNN attempted to make it into an interview but was ultimately not successful.  The focus should be the audience and not the journalist.

So you think the CNN reporter violated the terms of the agreement with the Trump team? Can you share with us what those terms were?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So you think the CNN reporter violated the terms of the agreement with the Trump team? Can you share with us what those terms were?

Did I say that? No straw manning please.  I simply said that the format of the event, which was sold as a "town hall", was not followed. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Did I say that? No straw manning please.  I simply said that the format of the event, which was sold as a "town hall", was not followed. 

The US has had other hybrid town hall events which had both questions posed by reporters and by members of the audience. If this fit the classical definition of a town hall event then members of the audience wouldn't be vetted on the basis of their political leanings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Wow. Putin's Russia viciously attacks a peaceful neighbor and your concern is that Putin's feelings might get hurt if someone calls him a war criminal.

I must say you MAGA guys have made tying yourself into knots to defend the indefensible into an art form over the years. Well done!:clap2:

No MAGA guy here.  Just being practical.  You want to make peace? Hard to do when you are calling the other guy a war criminal at the same time.  Or threatening to do a regime change in his country.

If peace is "the indefensible", then I plead guilty.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Do I want to make peace? It's not about what I want, it's about what the Ukrainians want, and I'm pretty sure they want the Russians to stop attacking them and to retreat.

So what is it really you thing the Ukrainians should negotiate about?

I am sure they do too.  But the devil is in the details. Retreat to where? Including Crimea? Who pays for the damages? Prisoner exchange? Future Ukraine membership in NATO or EU?  The US could apply pressure to get them both to the table.  But if your default position is 100% status quo ante, then the war will continue into the future and probably grow worse. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

No MAGA guy here.  Just being practical.  You want to make peace? Hard to do when you are calling the other guy a war criminal at the same time.  Or threatening to do a regime change in his country.

If peace is "the indefensible", then I plead guilty.    

I’ve never myself felt the need to deny being MAGA.

I guess because I don’t espouse MAGA / Trumpist views.

I know some people just love Trump, and he can do and say whatever and they will still love him.

But how many undecided voters are still there?

How many people does he motivate to vote for him with all those lies?

And how many people (try to) watch this as a reminder never to vote for this guy?