Thailand’s long and winding road

snoop1130

E3E75654-BE54-46F0-8E5D-244A2A1DEF62.png

When Thais go to the polls on Sunday, the challenge is how to help lay the groundwork for a system that can prevent the next election from being held under similar circumstances. It’s a tough ask, but every election presents a fresh hope, no matter how difficult the path remains.

The major paradox is there for all to see. It can’t be an election without heroes and villains, and it can’t be an election without everyone wanting to be a hero at the expense of others. It’s the way things are, but it’s not the way things are supposed to be.

Campaign posters and other pre-election developments underline an atmosphere that shouldchange after Sunday, or no-holds-barred advertisement by politicians and their supporters will turn democracy completely into a brutal game in which every player does everything necessary and at all costs in order to be the winner.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-long-and-winding-road/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

It would seem once again we are reading a computer generated article. They really should disclose this.

"He did not say it out loud, but Prawase certainly does not want to see elections so ferocious where each does nothing but demonising the other. This kind of political atmosphere misconstrues constructive advices from the other side; discourages capable human resources from helping if the perceived enemies are in power; and promotes turning a blind eye when someone on the same side does something wrong, hence making real justice impossible and anti-graft fight a losing battle."

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, proton said:

Long and corrupt road more like, election money came out today, mrs and lot of her mates got 1k baht.

That is inflation...years ago it was 300 Baht....

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:34 PM, bignok said:

From who?

Most of the big parties  are paying the wife got 500 baht  from Pue Jie Thai, the PM's party is paying 500 baht, the watch man is paying, agine 500 baht, in my area Thucksin is not paying, probable thinks he is going to win. 

23 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Indeed. In the UK, for example, we get a choice of two identical political parties to vote for. At least Thailand's present different approaches. 

That's  not true.

In the 2019 UK election 3,415 candidates stood: 206 being independents, the rest representing one of 68 political parties.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

That's  not true.

In the 2019 UK election 3,415 candidates stood: 206 being independents, the rest representing one of 68 political parties.

You seem to take everything at face value. Next you'll be telling me that a party that calls itself 'The Conservative Party' must by definition hold traditional conservative values, and that a party that calls itself 'The Labour Party' must support the unions and the working classes. Do you also believe that politicians tell the truth all the time?

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

You seem to take everything at face value. Next you'll be telling me that a party that calls itself 'The Conservative Party' must by definition hold traditional conservative values, and that a party that calls itself 'The Labour Party' must support the unions and the working classes. Do you also believe that politicians tell the truth all the time?

You continue to underestimate people.

In a democracy, people mostly get the government they deserve.

In the UK, a democracy, the people have many choices - that they continue to vote for the same two parties is their choice.

I believe that in this day and age, if people want the truth, they have the resources available to find it.

I also believe that far too many people don't want the truth, they only want to hear (mis)information that supports their already held views and opinions (sound familiar?).

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves that we are underlings."

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

In a democracy

Democracies are so 1900's. They've been replaced by pseudodemocracies all around the world. I'll concede that they look the same on the outside though - we still have parties with different names that we can vote for. 

20 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Democracies are so 1900's. They've been replaced by pseudodemocracies all around the world. I'll concede that they look the same on the outside though - we still have parties with different names that we can vote for. 

The entire population of the UK could have voted for the Monster Raving Looney Party in 2019 if they so desired and the result would have been a MRLP government.

Don’t blame the system for the electorates apathy and greed.

If a sufficient number of Thais vote for UTN for them to legitimately win enough seats to form government, then a UTN government is the only acceptable outcome.

Methinks you do nothing but point the finger as to who or what is wrong / criminal / stupid whenever there is an outcome that does not align with your desires.

Perhaps you will find it more productive to turn your gaze upon yourself, spend a minute or two in honest self reflection - could this be the path towards inner peace and happiness (constantly lying about Thaksin will never get you there).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

These elections are really fun, the context of democracy in Thailand is a vague concept or rather the concept how much you give me to vote for you, a typical example that is found in southern Italy which is called the mafia but here in Thailand it is called democratic elections, however and in the same concept of democratic freedom to receive payment for a share.

And everyone is happy.....

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Perhaps you will find it more productive to turn your gaze upon yourself, spend a minute or two in honest self reflection - could this be the path towards inner peace and happiness (constantly lying about Thaksin will never get you there).

There you go again. Rather than offer a rebuttal to the point I made about pseudodemocracies, you revert to childish rudeness, psychobabble, and ad hominem attacks. You're incapable of serious debate.

Regardless of what you say, Thaksin's lot will get the boot, and I'm looking forward to it. 

Edited by sidneybear

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

There you go again. Rather than offer a rebuttal to the point I made about pseudodemocracies, you revert to childish rudeness, psychobabble, and ad hominem attacks. You're incapable of serious debate.

Regardless of what you say, Thaksin's lot will get the boot, and I'm looking forward to it. 

You’re patience will be tested.

On 5/13/2023 at 3:47 PM, GinBoy2 said:

They don't

Hilariously many years, elections and coups ago one Democrat candidate made a complaint to the Electoral Commission claiming that he had paid for more votes than he received!

Sometimes even after all these years Thailand always has the ability to make me shake my head with disbelief.

Yep.

Corruption exists everywhere in the world, but you’d be hard pressed to find a people more shameless and unapologetic about it.