Bhumjaithai and Democrat parties urged to support Pita for prime minister

webfact

image.jpeg

Pheu Thai party’s prime ministerial candidate Srettha Thavisin is urging the Bhumjaithai and Democrat parties to vote for Move Forward party leader Pita Limjaroenrat as Thailand’s 30th prime minister in parliament, in line with the aspiration and voice of the people.

In his Tweet today (Tuesday), the former real estate tycoon noted that the Move Forward party, whose predecessor Future Forward won 81 House seats in the 2019 general election, has won 152 seats this time.

The party’s growth is a clear sign that its ideology matches the aspiration of the people, who want to see change in Thai society, said Srettha, as he referred to previous statements by both the Bhumjaithai and Democrat parties that they disagree with the provision in the Constitution which involves senators in the election the country’s prime minister.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bhumjaithai-and-democrat-parties-urged-to-support-pita-for-prime-minister/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

Either Bhumjaithai and Democrat parties likely will want Minister of Defense that includes in effect control of the military political arm ISOC, effectively neutralizing political freedom that might be pursued by a new government.

49 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I can't see Anutin joining the MFP, PTP or others, as they have obvious differences of opinions.

Anutin & BJT will eventually become part of the coalition as Anutin's ego will want him to hold some sort of Ministerial post so he can stay relevant, just don't let it be health, defense or Transport. If he is not a minister he will fade into oblivion as he is NOT an elected member of the parliament.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I can't see Anutin joining the MFP, PTP or others, as they have obvious differences of opinions.

Anutin was a member of Thai Rak Thai, and served in the Thaksin administration. So not the strecth you portray.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40020007

He's probably in negotiations, which would also include some imdemnification for Saksayam.

Energy, Interior, Commerce, DES?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

Srettha's appeal to those two parties (it's more than I can bear to write the full party names) seems based on both sound principles and of course practical imperatives, but it grieves me to think of either one of them being in any coalition, though in fairness to Anutin's party, they have far more of a right to do so by virtue of coming 3rd, with a relatively decent vote-count. The other (badly misnamed) party not so. At all. 

This need for a messy coalition of appalling compromise + the appointed senator farce should, if any Thai was in doubt, illuminate like a firework display just how messed up this all is.....and that change, if not acheived by democratic process, may need to be literally fought for. Sad to say. Very sad.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

not gonna happen. mfp don't wanna make alliance with Anutin and they expect his support?  pipe dream and it aint fueled by weed

Are you sure? BJT party alliance gets the coalition over the line and nullifies the 250 lackey military lackeys vote.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Srettha's appeal to those two parties (it's more than I can bear to write the full party names) seems based on both sound principles and of course practical imperatives, but it grieves me to think of either one of them being in any coalition, though in fairness to Anutin's party, they have far more of a right to do so by virtue of coming 3rd, with a relatively decent vote-count. The other (badly misnamed) party not so. At all. 

This need for a messy coalition of appalling compromise + the appointed senator farce should, if any Thai was in doubt, illuminate like a firework display just how messed up this all is.....and that change, if not acheived by democratic process, may need to be literally fought for. Sad to say. Very sad.

I think I made a boo-boo with this comment (not the first time!).

Srettha's appeal is for BJT & Dem' Party MPs to vote for Pita as PM, not for them to join any coalition. 

Anyway....hope they do. ????

4 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Yes.

MF coalition = 308 seats

BJT = 70 seats

Half (plus 1) of 750 = 376

I think MFP+PT+the 4 minor parties is 309 seats but yes BJT puts them over the line. Anutin will want something big in return.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Are you sure? BJT party alliance gets the coalition over the line and nullifies the 250 lackey military lackeys vote.

No actually I am not. But I would bet a beer on it. Even if I dislike Anutin he is the only one pro weed. This is a case of I hope I am wrong.

Just now, Pouatchee said:

No actually I am not. But I would bet a beer on it. Even if I dislike Anutin he is the only one pro weed. This is a case of I hope I am wrong

My take is all are pro-weed but not for recreational use, only for medicinal use. But I bet it won't be too hard to get a medical certificate to buy for recreational use. 

50 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think MFP+PT+the 4 minor parties is 309 seats but yes BJT puts them over the line. Anutin will want something big in return.

Call his bluff.

Force him to choose between democracy and coups.

Whichever he opts for - he shall be marked for life.

Tell him to go ask Abhisit how it worked out for him.

• Like 2

Just now, MrMojoRisin said:

Call his bluff.

Force him to choose between democracy and coups.

Whichever he opts for - he shall be marked for life.

Tell him to go ask Abhisit how it worked out for him.

Indeed. As I've been posting if he doesn't form a coalition he will be heading a minority government if the senate make him PM which as I see it is the only deal he'd make. He has a big decision to make and I have the feeling he'll go for a coalition with MFP. Well I hope so.

Just now, dinsdale said:

Indeed. As I've been posting if he doesn't form a coalition he will be heading a minority government if the senate make him PM which as I see it is the only deal he'd make. He has a big decision to make and I have the feeling he'll go for a coalition with MFP. Well I hope so.

Minority government is impossible without enough votes to guarantee supply. The result, should they be foolish enough to attempt it, would be an almost immediate election - the result of which would be an even greater MF / PT victory. And it would all (cost, frustration, anger) be blamed on one man - Anutin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Pita has indicated quite recently that he does not object cooperating with BJT. If Pheu Thai was the leading party, I don't think they will allow BJT to be in the coalition due to the Newin's betrayal of Thaksin. MFP decision to invite BJT if they so desire will make the decision easier. The lure of ministerial positions will be tempting for Anutin. He gets nothing to be in the opposition. BJT did well in the election coming in third and they should have a role to represent their supporters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Anutin is a political tart - he will go where the money is for him.

It will take a bit of the shine off MFP/PTP if he is along for the ride, but if they are serious about really changing and reforming Thai politics and indeed society they must realise that it will take more than a single term in office; and they must, can only, start by breaking the power of the dinosaurs.

That means breaking the Senate's grip, which means raising 376 votes in parliament.  Then they can start to reform.

Maybe the only way to get into government with a firm majority is to allow Bhumjaithai to join the coalition, hopefully though giving Anutin a very lowly position where he cannot do anymore harm.

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The only way Bhumjaithai will back Pita as PM is if they back their Cannabis Bill.

Do you really think that is the only matter of concern? Some people live in a smoky bubble.