Re-entry flight ticket issues encountered with immigration

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your LONG post has two main points.

You were questioned regarding onward flight by io at Phuket most likely because you have extensive history in Thailand.

You will continue to be questioned.

I quoted the second aspect of your post.

So you don't want to use an agent for non O and extensions (BTW what gives with the term Scamming) 

You don't wish to use their service fine.

You also state that cannot meet the financials requirements.

What are you asking about. 

My post is LONG as usually people will ask for ALL the specifics if I've not supplied enough info really.

Ok, the extensive history of residing here makes sense.

I don't wish to use an agent as I'm capable of arranging things myself if I'm aware of requirements needed etc, therefore do not wish to pay an agent inflated fees, which vary a lot regarding the price hence why I mentioned scammers, although I've probably used the wrong terminology there, but some pay way over the top for that service.

Ok, so my situation, you've clarified it IS NOW, a 30 day re entry, sooooo being that immigration has entered on their system and written on my passport that I have a tkt to leave on 15th, my question now is and because I have nearly two years of residing here, do you think it might be an issue obtaining a 30 day extension?

I'd have to dig up my other passports to check for certain, but I'm pretty sure you get a 30-day visa waiver on arrival regardless of when your outbound ticket is dated.

If you fly in on the 1st, and when asked show an outbound flight for the 6th, you still get stamped in for 30 days until the 30th.

8 minutes ago, truthfix said:

because I have nearly two years of residing here, do you think it might be an issue obtaining a 30 day extension?

No, there will be no issue until you cross the border next time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Any advice on my other mentioned issues?

It sounds like your visa-exempt, border hopping days are numbered.

British citizens older than 50 can apply for a 90-day Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London. In lieu of a pension and proof thereof, you need to show a minimum of 3 months UK bank statements holding only £10,000. It's all done by eVisa these days.

I think this shows a more 'serious' intent to stay long time, especially if you take those three months to get the funds in a Thai bank that will allow you to 'convert' to a Retirement Extension and stay relatively hassle-free for a year.

Those jigging about with ED's are on a hiding for nothing IMHO, especially as you qualify by age for a 'proper' visa.

Not all agents are scammers and their fees are arguably competitive if the 800,000 baht funding is a problem.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, truthfix said:

I have a tkt to leave on 15th, my question now is and because I have nearly two years of residing here, do you think it might be an issue obtaining a 30 day extension?

Firstly you will have no issue in obtaining an extension.

Ignore any suggestion that a note was made by io at Phuket airport.

Your stamp would have been for 30 days. 

The onward flight is irrelevant.

All your other stuff about entering Thailand visa exempt will continue to be questioned by immigration.

You have alternatives.

You could consider a multi entry visa based on retirement.

Not all countries provide that.

UK does and the application is via eVisa

That does not require funds in Thai bank. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Firstly you will have no issue in obtaining an extension.

Ignore any suggestion that a note was made by io at Phuket airport.

Your stamp would have been for 30 days. 

The onward flight is irrelevant.

All your other stuff about entering Thailand visa exempt will continue to be questioned by immigration.

You have alternatives.

You could consider a multi entry visa based on retirement.

Not all countries provide that.

UK does and the application is via eVisa

That does not require funds in Thai bank. 

Thank you, yes! Regarding alternatives could you kindly give information regarding a multi entry visa based on retirement please.

10 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Thank you, yes! Regarding alternatives could you kindly give information regarding a multi entry visa based on retirement please.

It can be obtained in UK and also in Savannakhet.

That visa has 12 month validity and provides a 90 day stamp each entry. 

Effectively providing 15 month stay. 

Cost is 5000b 

Read this thread. Very recent report. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294207-non-o-visa-retirementsavann/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

British citizens older than 50 can apply for a 90-day Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London. In lieu of a pension and proof thereof, you need to show a minimum of 3 months UK bank statements holding only £10,000. It's all done by eVisa these days.

I think this shows a more 'serious' intent to stay long time, especially if you take those three months to get the funds in a Thai bank that will allow you to 'convert' to a Retirement Extension and stay relatively hassle-free for a year.

Those jigging about with ED's are on a hiding for nothing IMHO, especially as you qualify by age for a 'proper' visa.

Not all agents are scammers and their fees are arguably competitive if the 800,000 baht funding is a problem.

Yes indeed and I knew it was literally a matter of time hopping around! Thank you to yourself and others who've taken the time to inform me here, as yes, knowing that the 45 days entry is now 30 days, it clarifies matters regardless of the plane tkt and that there shouldn't be any issue getting a 30 day extension.

Regarding the 90-day Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa, I'd been told it was 20k in the bank for three months, so that sounds a lot better, do those funds then have to be in a thai account, as I've been informed every time a person re applies those funds will need to be in the account either to show a number of months past history or need to be in the account indefinitely, in order to qualify to be in the country with 'that' visa?

You've mentioned not all agents are scammers and their fees are arguably competitive if the 800,000 baht funding is a problem...

800,000 baht for? As £10,000 is around 426,000 baht.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It can be obtained in UK and also in Savannakhet.

That visa has 12 month validity and provides a 90 day stamp each entry. 

Effectively providing 15 month stay. 

Cost is 5000b 

Multi entry visa based on retirement, you've mentioned no funds in the bank, but I can't find any info regarding this, can you direct me to a link or somewhere that will give me an overview and specify requirements?

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

With the 90-day Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa, you have to prove a certain amount of monthly income as well no? As I have no income but living off of savings.

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

I don't wish to use an agent as I'm capable of arranging things myself if I'm aware of requirements needed etc, therefore do not wish to pay an agent inflated fees, which vary a lot regarding the price hence why I mentioned scammers, although I've probably used the wrong terminology there, but some pay way over the top for that service.

then don't. why go on about it?

• Confused 2

56 minutes ago, truthfix said:

You also mentioned you were asked about a onward ticket at the airport on the way to Thailand. That's a requirement of the regulations in Thailand for visa exempt entey and they issue that to the airlines via the IATA system that shows on the airline screen at checking in. Not all airline enforce it but If you had been denied entry at imm when you arrived the airline would have to pay to return you to the point of origin for not checking the regs. 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

You also mentioned you we asked about a onward ticket at the airport on the way to Thailand. That's a requirement of the regulations in Thailand for visa exempt entey and they issue that to the airlines via the IATA system that shows on the airline screen at checking in. Not all airline enforce it but If you had been denied entry at imm when you arrived the airline would have to pay to return you to the point of origin for not checking the regs. 

I did think it might have had some relation to that yes. covering all bases etc. Thanks for clarifying.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, truthfix said:

You've mentioned not all agents are scammers and their fees are arguably competitive if the 800,000 baht funding is a problem...

800,000 baht for? As £10,000 is around 426,000 baht.

Evidence of three months of a £10,000 UK bank balance is what you need to show in the Royal Thai Embassy London eVisa application for a 90-day, single-entry, extendable retirement VISA.

Evidence of monthly income of not less than 65,000 baht (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 baht (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month is what you need to show in the Royal Thai Embassy London eVisa application for a 1-year, multiple-entry, extendable retirement VISA.

Two months of 800,000 baht Thai bank balance is what you need to show at your local Immigration Office if applying for a 1-year Retirement EXTENSION when 'converting' from your visa or visa-exempt entry.

Depending on where in Thailand you hang your hat, 'visa agents' charge between 15,000 and 25,000 baht for the LATTER with or without the financials (but trend towards the higher price for those who cannot self-fund).

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000733c

and yet using scamming agents that sell you airline tickets you don't actually have is ok.

If you are living off of your savings with no income and don't have enough to meet the visa financial requirements I'd say your going to be in trouble eventually.

13 hours ago, truthfix said:

My post is LONG as usually people will ask for ALL the specifics if I've not supplied enough info really.

Ok, so my situation, you've clarified it IS NOW, a 30 day re entry, sooooo being that immigration has entered on their system and written on my passport that I have a tkt to leave on 15th, my question now is and because I have nearly two years of residing here, do you think it might be an issue obtaining a 30 day extension?

It's a free market concept... shop around and find the fee that you can afford... if you cannot afford it quit whining and do it yourself... maybe reconsider retiring until you can afford to do so.

14 hours ago, truthfix said:

You have shown evidence of a flight ticket and indicated a departure date.

If you now try to extended another 30 days questions will surely be asked?

Unless you wish to try to convince them that your "travel plans" have since changed?

Time to leave Thailand.

The 30-day extension of a visa exempt entry has virtually never been denied. The fact that you have a flight booking is not a reason that will be used to justify the extremely unusual act of denying such an extension.

You will be fine with the 30-day extension, but need to do some careful thinking and research if you hope to spend further time in Thailand after the current visa exempt entry and extension are up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1