Non Imm 'O' (marriage extension) Under Consideration stamp

Worst case scenario ahead!!

I went for my Non Imm O Marriage extension at the end of April, 45 days before my visa expires (7 June). I was stamped to return exactly on 7 June to (hopefully) get another year.

I am planning a trip out of the country on 30 June.

Worst case scenario, what should I do if the extension is not ready on 7 June, and they tell me to come back on 7 July (or another date) after my planned departure?

Would showing an airline ticket at L2 desk help in any way? I think the girls at L2 desk, although being sympathetic, have no sway and may not be able to help.

Any advice? Many thanks

Edited by Cuchulainn
spelling

It would definitely help if you disclose what IO you use so people who use that particular office can tell about their experiences

60+ days is a very long time for under consideration..

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Worst case scenario, what should I do if the extension is not ready on 7 June, and they tell me to come back on 7 July (or another date) after my planned departure?

Asking you to come back more than a week or possibly 2 after 7th June is extremely unlikely (though of course not impossible) in recent years a delay beyond the stamped date is uncommon, a delay of more than a week is extremely unlikely.

14 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Would showing an airline ticket at L2 desk help in any way? I think the girls at L2 desk, although being sympathetic, have no sway and may not be able to help.

The local office does not govern when the extension is ready, it is the regional HQ that processes it, so the only help you could get would be for someone in the local office contacting HQ for you.

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

60+ days is a very long time for under consideration..

That depends on the area or region you are in. For CW you are correct, in some offices in region 4, (certainly in Udon) if you apply 45 days before the extension finishes you will have a 75 day under consideration. since the under consideration stamp goes to 30 days past the expiration irrespective if the application date.

Different offices, different policies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Thanks, but once before, many years ago, they told me to come back in another 30 days!!

I know I'm being pessimistic!!

Depends on the area of course, but I just got my one 10 days before the under consideration date was up. I think you're being unduly concerned. If things get desperate then go to speak with them about a solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

if you apply 45 days before the extension finishes you will have a 75 day under consideration. since the under consideration stamp goes to 30 days past the expiration irrespective if the application date.

The longest I had to wait was 45 days and I applied 31 days before the extension finished. 

the stamp was for 30 days but it took another 2 weeks to

office was Buriram 

I always hated that under consideration period and it was one of main reasons why I switched to retirement. 

1 hour ago, Cuchulainn said:

Thanks to all who commented.

Yes, I'm sure everything will be ok when I go for my stamp.

Just weighing up the choices if the worst case scenario happens.

In the absolute worst case scenario, you can allow your current permission to stay lapse, and return on a fresh Non O visa applied for outside Thailand (or even at Immigration on your return). The only time this would be any kind of a problem is if you want to maintain an unbroken period of stay because you intend applying for permanent residency or citizenship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanx Tim.

I think I'd rather postpone the trip than go thru the rigmarole of applying for a new one!!

Anyway, I'm sure all will be ok. 

Will report back here on 7 June

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJCM said:
8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

in-some offices in region 4, (certainly in Udon) if you apply 45 days before the extension finishes you will have a 75 day under consideration. since the under consideration stamp goes to 30 days past the expiration irrespective if the application date.

The longest I had to wait was 45 days and I applied 31 days before the extension finished. 

the stamp was for 30 days but it took another 2 weeks to

office was Buriram 

If you take my post out of context, as you did, it rather looks as if it is a correction rather than a datum point for a different office

Edited by sometimewoodworker

It will be ready.  The return to get the stamp is pretty much an in-and-out, no-brainer exercise in wasted time, well, unless you think there is a reason they'd reject your application.  If they were going to do that you'd probably already know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/19/2023 at 5:06 PM, Cuchulainn said:

Thanks, but once before, many years ago, they told me to come back in another 30 days!!

Really - how odd.  If you've already done a marriage extension with the same wife - it's just a paper-pushing exercise for some IO bureaucrat in Bangkok.  Maybe for the first application I could understand an additional wait, but if you've been doing this for more than a couple of years, I couldn't imagine why they'd challenge you on the validity of the extension renewal - well, unless your 40 year old Thai wife suddenly looks like a 20 year old.  :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you take my post out of context, as you did, it rather looks as if it is a correction rather than a datum point for a different office

sorry but that was not my intention. 

I just wanted to show that in Buriram (where my IO is located) that it was the max I had to wait.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

sorry but that was not my intention. 

I just wanted to show that in Buriram (where my IO is located) that it was the max I had to wait.

More data is welcome, correcting incorrect data is also welcome, but it is vital to be as accurate as possible as immigration has different rules in different offices. To labour the point, This means that your experience may well (probably will) be different from others 

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

More data is welcome, correcting incorrect data is also welcome, but it is vital to be as accurate as possible as immigration has different rules in different offices. To labour the point, This means that your experience may well (probably will) be different from others 

????

This was a couple of years ago and I know for a fact that a friend has waited 35 days this year. I have changed to retirement 2 years so I don’t have that under consideration period any more.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, Cuchulainn said:

Sorry, Chaengwattana. 

I did mine at CW January 18th 2023, and was "under consideration" until 8th Feb 2023 , After I checked my stamp, I went back to see the IO as I understood it was "under consideration" for 30 Days, as the previous years, she said my stamp was correct.  Didn't want to pursue the issue any further.

Now Inked in until 1st FEB 2024.

Longest I waited was five weeks. I applied early and instead of giving me the extension at 30 days mark they set it up for the date stamped annually in my passport. So, just bought them a bit of time nothing dramatic.

BKK/CW

Marriage a bit off? 

My brother is on a marriage expiration date is March 10 next year.  Aside from money in bank he uses the 12 month income method.

Problem after he purchase plane ticket, his plan is to return March 8th, now his thought it isn't enough time to go bank and obtain paperwork he indicates close to 5 days been the pattern last 10 Years. 

He could change the date earlier  but requires a much higher fare question Jomtien office

Is there a grace period a few days past his expiration date March 10th, or does it all ends the 10th no exception. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Marriage a bit off? 

My brother is on a marriage expiration date is March 10 next year.  Aside from money in bank he uses the 12 month income method.

Problem after he purchase plane ticket, his plan is to return March 8th, now his thought it isn't enough time to go bank and obtain paperwork he indicates close to 5 days been the pattern last 10 Years. 

He could change the date earlier  but requires a much higher fare question Jomtien office

Is there a grace period a few days past his expiration date March 10th, or does it all ends the 10th no exception. 

Thanks

There is no "grace period" when applying for an extension of stay. If you are on overstay, you are on overstay. Further, the time taken to get the proper documentation from the bank is not a valid excuse with appropriate planning.

I assume that he will be in Thailand at some time after 1st October 2023. At that time, he should order statements for the period 1 March 2023 to 30 September 2023. On his return, he should request statements from the bank for the period 1 October 2023 to 8 March 2024. These can be provided while he waits. This (and the other required documentation) can be done at a bank branch at Government Centre for most banks if his extension of stay is being processed at Chaengwattana immigration.

I note that 8 March 2024 is a Friday. What time does his flight arrive? Immigration at the airport may refuse to admit him on the re-entry permit if it is clear to them that he cannot extend his permission to stay before the Sunday. Normally, since Immigration is closed on the Sunday, you can apply on the Monday without penalty, but I do not know if airport immigration will accept that explanation. Which immigration office is he planning to use? If he will be extending in Bangkok, he should ensure he has an appointment for either the afternoon of March 8 (preferred) or March 11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is no "grace period" when applying for an extension of stay. If you are on overstay, you are on overstay. Further, the time taken to get the proper documentation from the bank is not a valid excuse with appropriate planning.

I assume that he will be in Thailand at some time after 1st October 2023. At that time, he should order statements for the period 1 March 2023 to 30 September 2023. On his return, he should request statements from the bank for the period 1 October 2023 to 8 March 2024. These can be provided while he waits. This (and the other required documentation) can be done at a bank branch at Government Centre for most banks if his extension of stay is being processed at Chaengwattana immigration.

I note that 8 March 2024 is a Friday. What time does his flight arrive? Immigration at the airport may refuse to admit him on the re-entry permit if it is clear to them that he cannot extend his permission to stay before the Sunday. Normally, since Immigration is closed on the Sunday, you can apply on the Monday without penalty, but I do not know if airport immigration will accept that explanation. Which immigration office is he planning to use? If he will be extending in Bangkok, he should ensure he has an appointment for either the afternoon of March 8 (preferred) or March 11.

He is using Jomtien.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.   We normally take a trip back home once a year in Feb for personal and family reasons.  This year a bit later in Feb for reason.

He normally gets back in plenty of time so he has never been in this situation.  Right now based on your answer and his situation this is too extensive for him.  A hospital and doctor here in Pattaya got him addicted on medication which he is slowly being taken or reduced the medication is for stress

so the process I believe is a bit too much for him at his age I'm surprised he hasn't had a stroke.

He indicated he would make a visit to Jomtien Immigration and see if he can get a definitive answer basically what I was hoping I get here like if expires on 10th, you have 7 days to apply after it is start the process from the beginning.

If there is a negative response his safest choice is to rebook the flight for an earlier date that gets him back a week earlier.  Right now his return date is March 8th, Thailand  12:00 noon. I think unless they gave him an extra week the process would be too stressful.

Thanks,

That is his choice. I know people who suffer from anxiety can be unpredictable in what they find high pressure. Bank documents (taking less than an hour) should not be a major issue. As I stated, the most important thing is to ensure the statements for the early part of the year are done in advance (the last six months are not an issue). However, I can see that completing everything on the 8th (even if the flight is on time) would be a stretch. Doing it on the 11th would be more reasonable. The stress can be reduced hugely by use of an agent.

Immigration will not give him a week. Officials have a lot of discretion, but allowing people to overstay without penalty is not one of them.

I am sorry to hear that he was addicted to medication by unscrupulous (or incompetent) doctors.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the IO at Kamphaeng Phet using the annual income method.

Every year I a;so go through the Under Consideration rule, (the regional office is at Chiang Mai).

Every time the local IO lady calls my wife and tells me the stamp is ready within the 30 day time period.

Different offices sometimes have different staff and different rules.