Executor of expat will duties

amexpat

How does an executor of an expat's will proceed? Is legal help needed to dispose of assets? 

Obviously this is not Chiang Mai specific but more appropriate forum are grayed out in the selection dropdown. 
Mods please move as needed. 

"How does an executor of an expat's will proceed? Is legal help needed to dispose of assets?" 

Yes.

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-last-will-and-testament-faqs.php

Do I need to nominate an executor in my Thai will?
An executor is a critical figure in the distribution of an estate in Thailand. They should ideally reside in Thailand since they will be required to attend the Thai court. Their identity and role should be made fully explicit in the will and it is best to ensure they understand and are willing and able to meet their obligations in advance. The naming of a substitute executor in the will is also a prudent measure.

I am the executor/beneficiary of a Thai will. How long does it usually take for an executor to be appointed?
The appointment of an executor can only be made by an order of the Thai court. Following an initial application to the court, there will usually be a hearing approximately 60 - 120 days later to appoint the executor. It should be noted that the executor needs to be physically present at this hearing to provide evidence to the court. Usually within 30 – 60 days of this hearing, and on the basis there has been no appeals by any other interested party, the court will grant a final order.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have to get probate over the will. This document gives you the legal right to execute the will according to the deceased's wishes. If this includes assets in another country. You will need to apply for probate in that country also. Here in Thailand, you would probably find it easier to get a lawyer to help. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The whole thing is a pain in the backside  a good friend who passed 18 months ago gave me his Will several years before his death he never mentioned to me that I was his executor so it came as a shock when I opened up his will and read the contents 18 months on and I’m in the process of going to the court it was a simple enough Will everything he owned going to a certain Thai family . In the U.K. if I’m executor of a Will there is no need for me to go to court I just take care of everything myself I was never aware that here in Thailand it’s completely opposite . The one thing I have learnt is that I now leave as little as possible in my Thai bank account because trying to get my deceased money from his bank account is like getting blood out of a stone and this has been going on for months and I’m no nearer to having it released one of the conditions is that they want copies of his late parents death certificates he was 72 when he passed it’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . At least I was able to give away all his household items TV , scooter, computers , beds , which was a considerable amount in money terms I was unaware that I had to go to court I just gave it to them they to had a copy of the will but as I say when it comes to closing his bank account / financials that’s another matter if I am honest it has been months of misery and I’m no nearer to getting it finalised and all this costs time and money ☹️☹️☹️☹️

This is a good example of why I always say know what you are getting into before you agree to be an Executor (and, your friend should have gotten your agreement).  There is often much more work involved than you might think.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

The whole thing is a pain in the backside  a good friend who passed 18 months ago gave me his Will several years before his death he never mentioned to me that I was his executor so it came as a shock when I opened up his will and read the contents 18 months on and I’m in the process of going to the court it was a simple enough Will everything he owned going to a certain Thai family . In the U.K. if I’m executor of a Will there is no need for me to go to court I just take care of everything myself I was never aware that here in Thailand it’s completely opposite . The one thing I have learnt is that I now leave as little as possible in my Thai bank account because trying to get my deceased money from his bank account is like getting blood out of a stone and this has been going on for months and I’m no nearer to having it released one of the conditions is that they want copies of his late parents death certificates he was 72 when he passed it’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . At least I was able to give away all his household items TV , scooter, computers , beds , which was a considerable amount in money terms I was unaware that I had to go to court I just gave it to them they to had a copy of the will but as I say when it comes to closing his bank account / financials that’s another matter if I am honest it has been months of misery and I’m no nearer to getting it finalised and all this costs time and money ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Would it be the same problem with the Banks, for a Thai wife inheriting everything from her foreign husband? Would she need the death certificates of the husband's parents? Asking so I can get these, before I pop my clogs!

1 hour ago, MrMuddle said:

Would it be the same problem with the Banks, for a Thai wife inheriting everything from her foreign husband? Would she need the death certificates of the husband's parents? Asking so I can get these, before I pop my clogs!

I would think the answer would be yes you could always give your wife your debit card details and get her to clean out your account asap after you pass it appears from what I was told that this is okay to do 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK silly question time.

How do you handle things if you get a pension form another country or have investments in the country.  Do you need both a thai and Canadian will can the same executor action it?

4 hours ago, CMBob said:

A few comments/corrections regarding death of a US citizen here in Thailand:

(1) Have had a few expat friends die here in Chiangmai and in each case the body remained in the hospital morgue until released (by approval of the applicable embassy/consulate and payment of the hospital charges);

(2) Whether a not an autopsy is required depends on the circumstances (it's not automatic) and, even if the death occurs outside a hospital, that doesn't mean an autopsy is done (again, circumstances).

(3)  If you have a Will in English (or Will in Thai translated into English) and (1) the Will names "X" as the executor, (2) contains language that "X" has full power to handle funeral arrangements, and (3) "X" presents the English version of the Will to the US Consulate (or Embassy as the case may be), they will promptly cease their "next of kin" search and issue their letter okaying the release of the body to "X."

Having a proper Will (in both Thai and English) facilitates both release of the body and handling of the probate procedure. 

Can you ask for an autopsy not to be done, on religious grounds? I would include it, witnessed in writing, and as part of the will . 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, HarrySeaman said:

They also told me to send a copy of the will appointing me as executor to the US Embassy so that they know I am the contact person, not his relatives in the USA.

I've never heard of the US Embassy in Thailand having the practice of in advance accepting and recording Americans' wills and executor designations.

That was the advice you got from a (Thai?) attorney. Have you actually tried to accomplish that as yet with the US Embassy?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:43 PM, jonwilly said:

Two lawyers rom Star Visa accompanied me to the Ampure Office where will was registered and the Thai national my Executor received the Document which allows him to receive the money from my Thai bank accounts and full authorise him.

The problem is, as JimGant alluded to above, this being Thailand, you can never quite know how a bank / bank manager at any given branch is going to respond when you walk in the door with your amphur will.

Will they accept it as the basis for releasing the funds. Or, will they tell you they won't release the funds unless you have the will run thru the Thai courts' probate process.

I've heard of both responses being provided by Thai banks at different places at different times.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, as discussed on many of these Will threads, just have your beneficiary, likely your wife, who's also your executor, just clean out your bank account(s). If she's co-signatory to these accounts, so much the better (but not a requirement).

There's two ways of approaching that, depending on the person's situation.

One is to have the spouse listed as a formal co-accountholder on the account. The one situation where you clearly don't want to do that is if the person is using the account to satisfy Thai Immigration's 400K or 800K deposit requirement, where they basically want solo account holders.

The other is to have the spouse listed on the Thai bank book as a kind of silent co-accountholder. The titling of the account on the main page of the bank book remains the same and unchanged. But they add the wife's name elsewhere in the bank book in a way that the bank staff can see, if the need arises. That won't cause any problems with Thai Immigration.

But of course, either way, I think Jim's advice above is good advise, about alerting the Thai spouse to the lay of the land legally, and that if you should pass at some point, they should immediately take your bank debit card and withdraw the funds from the account, or even transfer the funds via online banking, if the spouse can know the details for that.

And not sit around waiting weeks or months, and having to go to the expense of hiring a Thai attorney to go to court, just to access funds in your bank account.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The other is to have the spouse listed on the Thai bank book as a kind of silent co-accountholder. The titling of the account on the main page of the bank book remains the same and unchanged. But they add the wife's name elsewhere in the bank book in a way that the bank staff can see, if the need arises. That won't cause any problems with Thai Immigration.

Do you know if that only works with "legal" spouses or can it be extended to people who are just your partner/living with long term?

31 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you know if that only works with "legal" spouses or can it be extended to people who are just your partner/living with long term?

That's a good question.  I know from personal experience it works with a legal spouse. But I've never tried it with a non spouse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never heard of the US Embassy in Thailand having the practice of in advance accepting and recording Americans' wills and executor designations.

Very good reason you haven't heard of it....it's because they don't do that.

Edit.  After the death, they will accept a valid Will in English that does the things mentioned (naming local executor and preferably explicitly stating that the named executor has full power to handle all funeral arrangements) and then the US Consulate/Embassy will cease the "next-of-kin" search and issue the needed letter to release the body.

Edited by CMBob

My research into this topic has led me to adopt a plan of getting all of my assets out of Thailand the closer I come to death.  Government and non government  offices I visited were not helpful at all and didn't seem interested to help. I can envisage many having headaches over this. What I've done anyway is have a Will written in English as a minimum and left with my partner with video evidence of my wishes even though not admissible just in a case some evil scavengers try anything. I can only imagine a registered lawyer will be able to help my partner present to the court for the all important probate docs to transfer real-estate or cash. I guess I'll be not able to stress about it after I'm dead.  So that's one good thing. Shame on society for not making this easier.  Death is hard enough for society. 

Have a nice day all. 

12 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

..... What I've done anyway is have a Will written in English as a minimum and left with my partner with video evidence of my wishes even though not admissible just in a case some evil scavengers try anything. I can only imagine a registered lawyer will be able to help my partner present to the court for the all important probate docs to transfer real-estate or cash.....

You'd do your partner a favor by also having a second original Will in Thai as either that or an English Will with certified Thai translation will be needed for Thai probate.  The video you refer to may be comforting to your partner but it won't have any effect with a Thai court.

Typically, the Thai probate process takes about 6 months and, presuming you desire to have your partner have adequate funds during that time period, you'll have to figure out some method (separate bank account for the partner, cash in a safe, whatever) to provide for that.  Absent your partner getting lucky that presentation of your Will (in Thai or English with Thai translation) to your bank manager will cause some release of funds up front, your partner will have to wait at least a couple+ months before probate will help to dislodge your bank funds.