Durian dispute turns violent after Chinese tourists accuse Thai vendor of selling fake fruit

webfact

I would go with Chinese here as they know that most of those can be faked in China like fake eggs, fake rice. Solly..you cant fool chinese when it comes to fake.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-fake-food-sector-unlicensed-products-knock-offs-supply-chain-contamination-public-health-alibaba-walmart-inscatech-a7880341.html

https://juicing-for-health.com/fake-foods-from-china

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Something in this story stinks...

Or doesn't???? If the Chinese expected , say, Indonesian durian which has a smellier odour than the usual Thai variety.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, bdenner said:

Surely no half smart vendor would try to pass off a pineapple (closest example I can come up with) as a Durian. AND who pays 500 Baht for them?

I'd hate to ask you to bring me back a Pineapple from the market.

• Haha 1

I think the truth of the incident is in the detail of the story.

The Chinese claimed they were charged 1,200 baht for 2 Durian. Wichai the vendor said he gave them back 1,000 bht to get rid of them.

In another seperate incident it suggests the correct price of Durian is 75bht per Kg.

1,200 bht would be 2 very very large Durians.

• Confused 2

Maybe about time someone got even with the Chinese for all the lies about their on-line products and how they offer refunds or somehow compromise so as not to get bad reviews.

For me I give 5 stars.

Durian would surely have either 1 star or 5 star ratings anyway and very few in between.     

Love em or hate em and yes as others have pondered, how on earth could you fake a Durian?

Edited by Jing Joe

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

Surely no half smart vendor would try to pass off a pineapple (closest example I can come up with) as a Durian. AND who pays 500 Baht for them?

Brain washed Asians thinking King of the fruits is unbeatable.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The Chinese start the problem days after buying them, don't even bring them along, don't even go to the right vendor, yet the cops make the accused vendor pay the Chinese 1,000bht.

Jeez :hit-the-fan:

"...yet the cops make the accused vendor pay the Chinese 1,000bht".

Jeez, it was not reported that the police made the vendor pay anything, it was reported that the vendor gave them B1000, voluntarily, to bring the farce to an end.

• Sad 1

"Police arrested the Vietnamese vendor under suspicion of, “acting in a way to increase the weight of the scales used to trade and sell goods beyond the margin of error exploiting customers”"

...which is an occupation reserved for Thais.

2 hours ago, Goat said:

Sold them Jackfruit instead. 

Oldest trick in the book.

A Jack-fruit maybe more or less the same color, but a Durian unlike a Jack-fruit has seriously sharp spikes all over it, I tried opening one once, never again.

That's apart from the smell.