Uproar over shameful exploitation by taxi drivers at Muang Thong Thani convention centre

webfact

29 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

The other problem is that these drivers ae probably not socially aware that their actions are hurting the country and what is worse they7 do not care 

If I can make a quick 5000 Baht I would not care if it hurts the country

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I’m waiting for all the ‘never happened to me’ responses !!!.... 

While Bankokians are lucky with the ease of use and availability of taxi’s in Bangkok compared to areas like Pattaya, Samui, Phuket etc... its still a incredibly annoying system where so many times trying to get an honest flag-fall taxi seems like an impossibility. 

Some people suggest you don’t need a car in Bangkok.... I argue that one of the reasons we have a car is so that we are not exposed to cheating liars on a daily basis - it makes life less stressful !!!.. 

That said: The prices of Grab taxi’s seems to be getting higher and higher and its just difficult to get hold of any BOLT rides.

Bring back UBER, bring back competition.... and just sack off all the Police anyway - their apathy to apply any effective policing is an utter blight on the country... 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Use BOLT taxi service, app is super easy to use, a little cheaper than GRAB.

Bolt has options of car with full taxi branding, motorcycle or 'econo' car, meaning basic car in good condition and very clean, no taxi branding. I use 'Econo' car, about 10 to 15 Baht cheaper than branded taxi. 

One item: BOLT curently only accept cash, soon to be changed to have QR code etc. Drivers always have change.

Can add extra details of location of pick up in English, their app automatically/immediately changes your message to Thai for the driver. 

App shows where the car is all the time. 

BOLT driver's courteous and focused.

I will agree with you here in Phuket BOLT have been superb, I had family here who were staying in Karon and I live in Rawai so I have used a few times and all decent cars, one day was a brand new MG SUV, then another day was a Fortuna, 

Taxi's from the hotel where my daughter was staying wanted 450 Baht, That was 200 baht more than BOLT, 

The hotels are just as bad, for an airport drop off they wanted 2000 Baht normally a 1000 baht 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Whitemore said:

Taxi drivers in Thailand have always ripped farangs off and they won't stop

Thai's also if they can, We were in BKK one night with my wife and here friend, it wasn't late we could not get a taxi, about the 5th one would take us, 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, David Whitemore said:

Taxi drivers in Thailand have always ripped farangs off and they won't stop

Not just farangs... They’ll rip off everyone and anyone wherever there is an opportunity. 

We were ‘between cars’ for a couple of weeks...  Wife had a horrible time doing the school run with taxi’s wanting to over charge or simply just refusing to go. 

Grab was better in the mornings... But upon return there were never any Grabs available and taxi after taxi simply refused the journey, this was at 2pm in the afternoon.

When needing to regularly rely on taxi’s it quickly becomes apparent that they are not reliable. 

I ’try’ to get a taxi every week when I go to play football....  I don't want to ride by like as I’ll be having a few beers afterwards...  getting a Grab or Bolt is impossible at 6pm.....  most of the time the Wife ends up dropping me off.....  attempting to rely on Taxi’s has just become downright inconvenient at times. 

• Like 2