Temporary Driver's License Renewal- Do I need a yellow book in my situation?

Im on the elite visa and got a temporary license a couple years ago, and in the meantime I purchased a condo. The temporary license has expired.

When I bought the condo, the agent gave me the old yellow and blue books, both with foreigner names of the previous owners, which I found odd since I thought foreigners couldn't be in a blue book. The agent told me "You can go to change it, but you don't need to."

Now the problem is I need to renew my drivers license and from what I am reading online I need the yellow book or embassy letter for proof of address? When I got the temporary license I went to the US embassy to get a letter stating my address and notarized, but I am reading on the US embassy website now:

"

Services we CANNOT provide: 

Residency verification to apply for a drivers license or buy/sell a vehicle: In Bangkok, please contact the Thai Immigration Bureau’s Chaeng Wattana Office (Counter B, 1st Floor) in Bangkok or the nearest regional immigration office in other provinces (except the Nonthaburi office, which does not issue them) to obtain a certificate of residence from Thai Immigration Bureau. For more information please refer to our Fact Sheet (PDF 181KB)."

Now I'm confused, because it wasn't a problem getting this paper from the Embassy before. Perhaps they are just warning that a notice verifying your adddress is not "residence verifcation" or perhaps they have stopped giving the paper altogether.

I guess my question now is... what should I do? Should I try to get the yellow book changed to me (and maybe the blue book too). Should I book an appointment at the embassy and try to get a notarized address letter anyway? I really don't want to obtain a "certificate of residence" from Immigration, and I'm not even sure I can get one since am on the Elite visa and don't work here.

Further when I read online it says that a work permit is required for the yllow tabien ban, which again I do not work here. I of course have the title deed, purchase agreement, and old books. Is it even possible for me to get the yellow tambien ban without a work permit?

To throw in one last question-- the last tax bill I got on the condo had the previous owner's name, despite me owning the condo for several months. Will going to the amphoe to update the book update this as well?

Why does this have to me so hard!? Really got to get this expired licesne thing sorted so I can drive my car. LOL

Edited by dia1
  • Thanks 1

OP, US embassy does not provide letter.

Which immigration office? 

You need to obtain certificate of residence.

Have you done a 90 day report? 

Some conflicting information in this thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1214055-5-year-driving-licence-renewal-with-5-year-thai-elite-pe-visa/ 

Actually I am doing my 5 year license Wed and using agent for hand holding.

BSR bikes. You can ask them questions via messenger or phone,  without using them. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

It really isn't that hard, but living in a foreign country does take a bit of research at times--google really can be of great help---the residency certificate, as shared, can  be obtained via immigration or via a visa agent. for a price--you don't need to live here or work here to get it.  Also, how long has ur previous temp license been expired, as you may have to do the complete test over again?

--the other items, tax records should have been sorted during the purchase process---was there an agent that helped you with the purchase, or helped the seller--they should arrange all that, but it may just be slow in the processing--but definitely worth looking into to be sure that the purchase process was completed correctly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

---the residency certificate, as shared, can  be obtained via immigration or via a visa agent.

Name me one agent that can obtain a certificate of residence.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

OP... 

1) You can get the Yellow Book in your name for your address - it involves hoop jumping and more work than getting a simple residency letter, so you may not find it worth it. BUT, if you go through the process, it will be there for you went you need it next time.

2) You can get a Certificate of Address from Immigration at Chaeng Wattana IF you have already submitted a 90 days report.

3) IF you have not been in Thailand for 90 days (in one spell) and can’t yet submit a 90 days port, then wait 90 days... OR, you may have to ‘bite the bullit’ and go through the process of applying for the Yellow House book (and pink ID card).

2 hours ago, dia1 said:

Further when I read online it says that a work permit is required for the yllow tabien ban, which again I do not work here. I of course have the title deed, purchase agreement, and old books. Is it even possible for me to get the yellow tambien ban without a work permit?

This part is not true - No work permit is needed for the Yellow Tabien Baan.

You will likely need (amongst others).

- MFA verification of Translation of Embassy Certification of your passport. 

Visit your local Amphur Office and ask them exactly whats needed for your Yellow housebook as requirements sometimes vary and some offices are easier to deal with than others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I am in Chiang Mai---most agents that work with immigration on visa issues will also obtain  the residency certificate--of course, there is a fee that some may not want to pay--u can go directly to immigration, and i believe that you can obtain one for free but must wait a week, or something like that--or can pay a fee and have one expedited?  I have never done it that way--always had my agent get one for me as i liked the convenience--but, sorry, not sure i want to recommend my agent to you--again, google is your friend--contact any of the large visa agents here and they will help you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

I am in Chiang Mai---most agents that work with immigration on visa issues will also obtain  the residency certificate--of course, there is a fee that some may not want to pay--u can go directly to immigration, and i believe that you can obtain one for free but must wait a week, or something like that--or can pay a fee and have one expedited?  I have never done it that way--always had my agent get one for me as i liked the convenience--but, sorry, not sure i want to recommend my agent to you--again, google is your friend--contact any of the large visa agents here and they will help you.

It has also been reported that in Chiang Mai Immigration will issue a Certificate of Residence without the need to submit a 90 day report. 

If the Op highlights where he is, he’ll get better advice. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It has also been reported that in Chiang Mai Immigration will issue a Certificate of Residence without the need to submit a 90 day report. 

Think you will find that CW is the outliner regarding need to have done a 90 day report in order to apply for certificate of residence.

Most immigration offices will not have that requirement.

Aside point: For folk dealing with CW.

There is no appointment possible for certificate of residence however I discovered a week ago that if you make an appointment for 90 day report the same io same desk will process your certificate of residence.

BTW: Mine was then posted out within one week. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Tik Tok Services in Jomtien. They did mine a few weeks ago because I didn't feel like standing in the queue during heatwave.

You don't need a yellow book if you don't care about having it.

Immigration will give you a residence certificate.  It should be free.  But I have seen on the forum that some people have been asked to pay for it.

It now has your photo on it.  I don't recall if I had to bring a photo in with me last time.  But I would be ready with on just in case.

3 hours ago, rwill said:

You don't need a yellow book if you don't care about having it.

Immigration will give you a residence certificate.  It should be free.  But I have seen on the forum that some people have been asked to pay for it.

It now has your photo on it.  I don't recall if I had to bring a photo in with me last time.  But I would be ready with on just in case.

Did mine a couple of months ago at CW. Lady returned my photos as not necessary.

4 hours ago, khunron13 said:

Tik Tok Services in Jomtien. They did mine a few weeks ago because I didn't feel like standing in the queue during heatwave.

Correct.

Confirmed with Tok 1500b.

My earlier post was concerning Bangkok where agents I have contacted cannot obtain residence certificate.

OP to date has not (I think) indicated where he is obtaining license.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP... 

1) You can get the Yellow Book in your name for your address - it involves hoop jumping and more work than getting a simple residency letter, so you may not find it worth it. BUT, if you go through the process, it will be there for you went you need it next time.

2) You can get a Certificate of Address from Immigration at Chaeng Wattana IF you have already submitted a 90 days report.

3) IF you have not been in Thailand for 90 days (in one spell) and can’t yet submit a 90 days port, then wait 90 days... OR, you may have to ‘bite the bullit’ and go through the process of applying for the Yellow House book (and pink ID card).

This part is not true - No work permit is needed for the Yellow Tabien Baan.

You will likely need (amongst others).

- MFA verification of Translation of Embassy Certification of your passport. 

Visit your local Amphur Office and ask them exactly whats needed for your Yellow housebook as requirements sometimes vary and some offices are easier to deal with than others. 

First I would visit your local traffic office to ask what they require.  Some offices, especially in Isaan dont recognise the yellow book.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, US embassy does not provide letter.

Which immigration office? 

You need to obtain certificate of residence.

Have you done a 90 day report? 

Some conflicting information in this thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1214055-5-year-driving-licence-renewal-with-5-year-thai-elite-pe-visa/ 

Actually I am doing my 5 year license Wed and using agent for hand holding.

BSR bikes. You can ask them questions via messenger or phone,  without using them. 

Very weird that they no longer provide this letter as I have went to the Embassy for the letter 3 times to get it.... twice for getting the license (one time it was delayed) and once for buying a car. Right around Covid time. It's just recently that the embassy stopped doing it?

Yes, I've been my 90 day reports.

I'm in Bangkok so I guess the office with be in Chaengwattana

15 hours ago, SammyJ said:

It really isn't that hard, but living in a foreign country does take a bit of research at times--google really can be of great help---the residency certificate, as shared, can  be obtained via immigration or via a visa agent. for a price--you don't need to live here or work here to get it.  Also, how long has ur previous temp license been expired, as you may have to do the complete test over again?

--the other items, tax records should have been sorted during the purchase process---was there an agent that helped you with the purchase, or helped the seller--they should arrange all that, but it may just be slow in the processing--but definitely worth looking into to be sure that the purchase process was completed correctly.

My license is expired for about 6 months now. At what point will I have to do it all over?

Yes, the process was done with an agent. I'm not sure how I would follow up as I am not sure what office handles the tax records.

6 hours ago, dia1 said:

Yes, I've been my 90 day reports.

I'm in Bangkok so I guess the office with be in Chaengwattana

In that case you need to attend CW for a certificate of residence.

There is not appointment possible however if your widow is open for current 90 day report you can make an appointment for  90 report and the io will process the residence certificate immediately after the Report.

You can renew at 6 months expired.

Think the cut off is one year. 

8 hours ago, dia1 said:

My license is expired for about 6 months now. At what point will I have to do it all over?

Yes, the process was done with an agent. I'm not sure how I would follow up as I am not sure what office handles the tax records.

As someone else stated, I think you have one year to renew---as to tax records, again, google is your friend--google the question--and also talk to the agent, person, who sold you the condo.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Off topic but hopefully someone can advise.

So tomorrow off to Land Transport office building 4 Chatuchak.

What's the go for Car Parking? 

Car parking at DLT Area 4 (Chatuchak) is horrific....  there are too many Government officers around the area and so much ‘in and out’ custom..... 

See the Map below....  Motorcycle parking is easy... (abandon it pretty much anywhere, as is always the case here).... in a car is tricker... 

The Green Arrow is access to the DLT Area 4 - the Red Arrows are the entrances to the building. 

The Red box is is where I have had success parking on the occasions I’ve been to the DLT.

Also... consider why you are going... If its for Tax renewal etc I’ve just done mine online (Road Tax and Por-Ror-Bor / still waiting for the documents to arrive by post).

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 18.47.16.png

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Car parking at DLT Area 4 (Chatuchak) is horrific....

Thankyou for very detailed answer.

I'm going tomorrow for 5 year TDL and have appointment.

I'm obtaining my medical from clinic shown in pic and there is a parking lot there.

The red circle shows the clinic and parking lot.

The red X is entry to DLT .

I could take MRT but leg but doggy currently and looks like taxi might be my best option?

Screenshot_20230530-191323.jpg

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thankyou for very detailed answer.

I'm going tomorrow for 5 year TDL and have appointment.

I'm obtaining my medical from clinic shown in pic and there is a parking lot there.

The red circle shows the clinic and parking lot.

The red X is entry to DLT .

I could take MRT but leg but doggy currently and looks like taxi might be my best option?

Its busy... but the last time I was there (about 3 years ago I think), I found parking. 

I’ve found parking each time I’ve been there. 

BUT... that is never a guarantee, then there is the issue of the weather at the moment.

You should be safe from the rain in the morning.

Then there is the issue of being able to get a taxi if its raining !!!... 

And there we have the typical Bangkok conundrum.... 

If it was, me I’d drive there and chance the parking. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If it was, me I’d drive there and chance the parking.

Took your advice.

So little report for others....

I arrived (car) early..ish 8.30am.

Wondered what all the fuss was about as parking was available.

Directly opposite building 4.

However when I left 11am the parking was a circus.. Chock a Block.

So regards DTL.

If you walk back to entrance and walk left you can obtain medical certificate 150b.

Location shown on map earlier.

So word of warning...don't bother with an agent.

I met my agent and she explained that today was just to make the appointment. 

So made the appointment myself and back tomorrow to do eye test etc. 

Didn't feel bad about ditching her as she had other clients sitting with me.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1