Chiang Mai Temple Abbot Causes Six-Vehicle Accident, Agrees to Pay 200,000 Baht in Damages

webfact

I doubt whether he had a drivers licenses.  Monks are not supposed to be driving motor vehicles.  I really don't know if it's in the monastic codes or not.  Someone will have to point that one out for me.  But you see it all the time.  As far as wearing shorts, he isn't supposed to do that either, but you see that all the time now also.  Since he's a well known abbot in Chiang Mai, probably not going to get into any trouble with the big boys.  Maybe just a tongue lashing.  Thank Buddha he didn't hurt anyone.  No one mentioned who's truck he was driving.  

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

? , the 200,000 Bhat will be paid out of donations , or has he a personal bank

account  too,

He will start selling amulets to his followers and he will the 200,000 Bhat very quick.
No problem.
TIT

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

No breach of monastic discipline was found - I thought monks were not allowed to drive.

He agreed to compensate all the victims for their damages, totalling more than 200,000 Thai Baht - I thought monks were supposed to forsake all worldly possessions, so were is he getting the money from, Oh the Wat will pay (meaning the people - collect more on your street collections please)

Are you familiar with the concept of insurance? Everyone pays a little bit in, creating a pool of money from which the insurance company takes profit but also enough to cover damages. Same thing here. So, what exactly is wrong with this, if everyone (except you perhaps) comes away satisfied? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Are you familiar with the concept of insurance? Everyone pays a little bit in, creating a pool of money from which the insurance company takes profit but also enough to cover damages. Same thing here. So, what exactly is wrong with this, if everyone (except you perhaps) comes away satisfied? 

Are you familiar with the concept that increased claims result in increased premiums for everyone?

Let me clear up a few things for those who don't know.  Ordained Monks have 227 rules they live by.  Most of these rules were put in place while the Buddha was still alive.  The rest shortly after his death in 486BC.  That's BC.  As far as I know, there wasn't any motor vehicles in 486BC.  So there were no rules about Monks driving motor vehicles.  There also wasn't any rules about Monks owning cell phones, laptops, tablets, or even eating ice cream cones.  There is a rule about not eating after 12 noon and before day break.  There also is no rule about Monks living in poverty or even leaving behind all their worldly possessions.  The Buddha did, so most Monks try to follow his example.  There is a rule that says a Monk is only allowed certain things, like, robes, Alms bowl, etc, but as you can see, those rules are not strictly enforced, in fact, there is sort of a confession ceremony that all Monks do at least once a month, asking for forgiveness of any perceived sin.    There are several Buddhist councils around, one in Sri Lanka, and of course one in Bangkok.  They also have some rules.  But even in their rules, there is not one about prohibiting Monks from driving motor vehicles.  It's just frowned upon.  Just thought I would throw this out there. 

• Thanks 1

best example of thainess! and all done without a ticket or court case and ending in a murky headline! the cop deliberately not recognizing the clear monastic code violation,  and the temple will surely not defrost him since there wasn't any actual carnage, eh editor?????