Jan. 6 rioters are raking in thousands in donations. Now the US is coming after their haul

onthedarkside

image.png.20fcad3211f772aa1e8ed817ad362ba0.png

Dozens of defendants have set up online fundraising appeals for help with legal fees, and prosecutors acknowledge there's nothing wrong with asking for help for attorney expenses.

But the Justice Department has, in some cases, questioned where the money is really going because many of those charged have had government-funded legal representation.

Most of the fundraising efforts appear on GiveSendGo, which bills itself as “The #1 Free Christian Fundraising Site” and has become a haven for Jan. 6 defendants barred from using mainstream crowdfunding sites, including GoFundMe, to raise money. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/government-claw-back-money-jan-6-rioters-profit-99660355

image.png.1a8268fc41b9fc4451f851007be4edff.png

• Haha 1

Just doing what there former leader is doing.  The new style of GoFundMe for my defense.  GoDefendMe.

It should be returned to those who donated it in my view with the slociters who are doing the fundraisers being charged with a fraud perpetrated on society.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just doing what there former leader is doing.  The new style of GoFundMe for my defense.  GoDefendMe.

It should be returned to those who donated it in my view with the slociters who are doing the fundraisers being charged with a fraud perpetrated on society.

Somehow, I understand them. Trump is doing it, so (in their mind), why not do it too!

• Thumbs Up 1

I seem to remember certain other legal funds that were set up around 2020. To help BLM rioters and Antifa scum with their bail, legal fees, etc.  How is this any different?  Except perhaps that the vice President isnt contributing.

• Haha 1

It looks like US law enforcement is opening up a new initiative on what I guess can be called "cyber larceny."  Fake gofundme-type scams (like the Santos and the veteran's dog scandal), attention given to eBay sellers who are doing too well selling things there is no record of them buying, and that's just for starters.  Politicians doing campaign fundraising where the $$$ goes to fancy living (eg 'That's my money!' Trump exploded at Brad Parscale over stories about his lavish lifestyle and spending, book says ).  Word going around that T____'s special prosecutor is looking at his stolen election fundraising as wire fraud.

• Thumbs Up 1