Morphine side effects

toast1

I'm taking liquid morphine, but its causing terrible stomach problems, such vomiting and stomach pain.
Apparently, this is a common side effect of morphine.

However, I need this, as its my only strong pain killer, which is necessary at the moment.

What might I take to calm the stomach?

Thanks

When I took morphine for pain, I found if I eat something first then take it, I had less stomach pain. I remember a doctor in the past told me to never take a pain medicine on a empty stomach. Another thing, instead of taking the amount you presently take all at one time, break it up into two smaller doses all within a hour of each other, as I found that helped too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The OP might get better pain relief without nausea symptoms by trying kratom ( Mitragyna speciosa ) . It is legal in Thailand.

Illegal in the US and Australia.

I drink half a cup brewed as a tea from the leaves. My reaction to kratom is mild euphoria for an hour or two, and pain relief for 5-6 hours. In larger quantities, it acts as a sedative. YMMV. As with all opiates, it is addictive.

Synthetic opiates such as oxycodone, fentanyl etc. target specific pain receptors. As i understand it, kratom targets all of them.

Oddly enough, morphine has zero effect on me in terms of pain relief, it seems to be less effective than even panadol. We all are different.

I have never had any nausea with any opiate that has been prescribed for me.

Feel free to disagree with this post, Sheryl. I am posting on the basis of practical experience with various opiates, although not as someone with terminal cancer.

Talk to the folks that supplied your medication. Is it real or synthetic ? If real

they should have supplied what they call in Thailand as "anti morphine" at the same time

& supplied you with explicit instructions. Very remiss of them