What are the criminal charges against Donald Trump in documents case?

Social Media

Former US President Donald Trump is facing criminal charges over his handling of classified documents after he left the White House.

The details of the charges related to files found at his Mar-a-Lago home in August 2022 have not been released.

But Mr Trump's attorney, Jim Trusty, confirmed seven counts, including an espionage charge and several obstruction and false statement charges. He described them as "ludicrous".

We will find out more when Mr Trump appears in a Miami court on Tuesday, but here is what we know so far.

He will be charged under the Espionage Act

Mr Trump will be charged with wilful retention of national defence information, according to his lawyer.

While espionage has sinister connotations of spying and skulduggery, it is the kind of charge that has also been used in the past to prosecute individuals who have been criminally careless with important government documents.

• Like 1

We should know on Tuesday when trump is arrested printed mug shotted and arraigned as befits any person accused of criminal wrongdoing 

Edited by Tug
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump’s lawyer is called ‘Jim Trusty’!

I don’t believe a word he says.

Sometimes irony rises as if a force of nature.

At one point W had a press secretary named Tony Snow.  For the sake clarity, snow job, sometimes just snow used as a verb, is another word for bull droppings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump’s lawyer is called ‘Jim Trusty’!

I don’t believe a word he says.

Well you wont need to believe a word Trusty says because he and Trumps other lawyer defending him on this case have now quit and left the employment of Trump after the indictment was unsealed.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2023/06/09/trump-lawyers-suddenly-resign-after-indictment-latest-shakeup-to-legal-team-heres-the-timeline-of-changes/

Two attorneys representing former President Donald Trump in the Department of Justice’s probe into his handling of classified documents abruptly quit Friday, less than a day after Trump was indicted on seven criminal charges,

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Caught on tape....

"Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this. This was done by the military and given to me," a transcript of the audio obtained by ABC News says."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-information-trump-audio-recording-talks-declassifying-documents/story?id=99960824

Oops.

What a doofus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More defeatism.

The DOJ will challenge any games played by the judge.

Besides she is just the preliminary draw. There is a choice of  fifteen justices who may get the final assignment.

• Like 1

USA is similar to SE Asian and African nations, now. Tar your political opponents using the law and weight of the current system you are in charge of. Wonder what that lady in Myanmar would have to say about Trumps law problems. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Here's a nice summary of the case against Trump from Matthew Sheffield on Twitter:

Jack Smith's charging document against Donald Trump systematically dismantles every one of the legal tap dances Trump has trotted out.

-He did not secure the documents

-He didn't declassify them

-He knew he had not declassified them

-He showed them to others

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I don't think that's true. Not according to this NY Times article

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/10/us/politics/judge-aileen-cannon-trump-documents.html

to bypass paywall: https://archive.ph/rXL95

Just reporting what I have read. Numerous outlets have stated

that Cannon has been “ initially” assigned, and one article ( forget which ) delved into the prospect that one of fourteen other justices may wind up with the final assignment, even if Cannon does not recuse herself.

we shall see!

"Trump has been charged with 37 counts: 31 counts of willful retention of national defense information; one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice; one count of withholding a document or record; one count of corruptly concealing a document or record; one count of concealing a document in a federal investigation; one count of scheme to conceal; and one count of false statements and representations."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-updates/trump-indictment/?id=99913217

AND

"Former President Donald Trump has vowed to stay in the 2024 presidential race even if he is convicted on the wide-ranging 37-count indictment.

In an interview with a Politico reporter who went on Trump Force One on Saturday, Trump reportedly said he will continue to run for president even if he's convicted by a federal grand jury, his spokesperson confirmed.

"I'll never leave," Trump said. "Look, if I would have left, I would have left prior to the original race in 2016. That was a rough one. In theory, that was not doable."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-updates/trump-indictment/trump-vows-to-stay-in-the-race-even-if-convicted-99989081?id=99913217

And now introducing, our would-be "Criminal in Chief"!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1