Foreigners Rounded Up In Surat Thani Crackdown

webfact

My pal has rented long term, but works offshore Middle East, his landlord said he will do initial TM30, but won't again when he leaves the country and comes back every 5 weeks. How will he overcome this ? Is it the landlords responsibility every time? 

5 hours ago, fdimike said:

The rules are not particularly difficult to follow as far as I'm concerned.  I've been living in Udon Thani for about 15 years and other than the fiasco when the US embassy stopped providing income letters for immigration everything has been relatively smoothe.

Couldn't agree more. I live in Roi Et for 20 years. No problems whatsoever, not even with the Embassee. Just follow the rules.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If friends come to stay with you, do you first ask to see their passport, check their Visa, then report to immigration? 

Do you think that’s what happed? 

What about a girl that sleeps over, do you check she's a Thai citizen, etc.? 

Do you think that’s what happened? 

How about motoring offences, do you report pals you see, drink driving, speeding, tax, ins, dl? 

Do you think that’s what happened?

Once you start being a nark, where do you draw the line? 

Do understand what is meant by knowingly harboring a criminal? 

7 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Is it really cost effective to have an island wide sweep to nab a few idiots who don't bother with the rules.

What % of your domicile is trash? .05% ? But if you don't throw it out - soon it will be a much greater %.

Empty the trash before it get to be too much.

15 minutes ago, Seppius said:

My pal has rented long term, but works offshore Middle East, his landlord said he will do initial TM30, but won't again when he leaves the country and comes back every 5 weeks. How will he overcome this ? Is it the landlords responsibility every time? 

One tm30 is all you need if returning to the same address every time he returns. I had the same on/off work rotation for years, it could get problematic if he returning visa exempt. For me at one point after a long time, on arrival an IO said "you should be getting a multi entry Non O" so thats what I did before leaving again........  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Do understand what is meant by knowingly harboring a criminal? 

I've never told anyone my business, not even my woman.

I never show my passport or allow it to be seen by civilians.

When back in the UK I deny I have a passport to everyone, not their business.

The trick to being a criminal, is to not speak to anyone about it. 

I don't even give out my real name.

You'd have to be stupid to let anyone know you were breaking any rules of any kind.

So your 'knowingly harbouring' is in effect nonsense.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've only lived in Thailand since last year.  Are these immigration swoops a regular thing or have Immigration stepped them up since they started switching from paper-based records to a computerised system which can  be checked in seconds? 

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

But no explanation 'how'. When I rent a hotel room in Thailand, I always have to pay upfront. Or I pay for an apartment, where staff also insist on punctual payment. How can someone run up a bill of 66,000 baht?

He stayed one night in the Presidenial Suite of a Bangkok five-star hotel and drank Boliinger?

6 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Cant believe their was just one from Myanmar. I can take a walk round the back of the apartment and nab a dozen. 

Have u inspected their documents or are you being presumptuous.????????

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not quite. It started under Thaksin...

Think you need to check your memory. I was living and working in Thailand during Taksin and the coup. Life was great when Thaksin was the big boss then the coup!!! things changed including attitudes towards expats. English teachers were replaced with "pilipean" teachers. Visa rules changed and droves of expats left me included.

31 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

I've only lived in Thailand since last year.  Are these immigration swoops a regular thing or have Immigration stepped them up since they started switching from paper-based records to a computerised system which can  be checked in seconds? 

Now they are and have been for a few years. Have some advice for you which I was given as a newbie in Thailand "Never invest more in Thailand than you can comfortably just walk away from". 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

This is the most stupid immigration rule I have ever encountered , followed by the 90 day report.

I used to stay at my girlfriend’s apartment in Bangkok. When I asked her if she was going to submit a report to Immigration, she just laughed. Her contempt for the police and Immigration were something to behold. Her words:  “my guests are none of anyone’s business but mine.”    I really liked her attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

So right,

22 years I am now in Thailand and I stick to the rules which are no troubles at all.. imo

Once I failed because a job has been delayed and I miscounted that I was due with my Visa extension.

As I realized I was 6 days "over" 

I rushed with my wife to the immigration and told in the most pollite way the story, the Officer smiled and joked that he must lock me in and my wife too... 

And then it went fast...

Bang, Stamp, 1 week extension re-dated for 1800 Baht, pointed to the next desk, retirement visa extenison into the passport...

"careful next time" was all the Officer said to me with a raised finger and we passed him again.. 

Lucky you! I was told that if my new passport didn't arrive in time for my 90 day report (7 days leeway) I would have to pay a fine of 2000 baht!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've never told anyone my business, not even my woman.

I never show my passport or allow it to be seen by civilians.

When back in the UK I deny I have a passport to everyone, not their business.

The trick to being a criminal, is to not speak to anyone about it. 

I don't even give out my real name.

You'd have to be stupid to let anyone know you were breaking any rules of any kind.

So your 'knowingly harbouring' is in effect nonsense.

So you don’t know what it means, that’s what I thought. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

No sympathy for those do not follow the immigration rules and think they can get away with it. They are the baseline "problem children" that in more ways than not reflects poorly on the overall reputation of foreigners who for the majority do comply consistently and appreciate the privilege of living and working in Thailand and which make this country their home.

I think you have taken this slightly out of context (as has the OP). 

A number of people are fleeing a war or being constripted into a war that they see no point in fighting, as I assume these are Russian?  I would like to ask you what would you do in that situation?

Return and fight (and likely die),

Return and face charges of distertion and a lengthy prison sentence or

Stay put and try to ride it out with limited funds, even if that means breaking a few rules.

I would be interested in your response. 

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

But no explanation 'how'. When I rent a hotel room in Thailand, I always have to pay upfront. Or I pay for an apartment, where staff also insist on punctual payment. How can someone run up a bill of 66,000 baht?

its 1 month for a small villa..

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Okay, but not having paid yet while having stayed there seems odd.

yeah sure agreed.. hey they may have been good customers for a year and overpaying:) so the landlord hoped to get his monies..who knows 

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

No, not all foreigners here are the tip of an iceberg that is created by people that don't care about laws. These people create problems for all other foreigners here that follow rules and regulations. The bad thing is that such unlawful people often try to pay Thais so that they can remain undetected as long as they pay. Criminals on both sides...  

People create problems for other people... ain't that the truth in any and all walks of life. 

We are all on the same iceberg because tomorrow if the government wished all immigration rules and regs could be changed at the drop of a hat and the swish of a pen; for example B800'000 in the bank  becomes B8 '000'000 in the bank and the iceberg would start to melt, (or the tip gets bigger). You're only truly safe and off the proverbial iceberg, when you have PR or citizenship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Cant believe their was just one from Myanmar. I can take a walk round the back of the apartment and nab a dozen. 

Possibly not worth the hassle nabbing a dozen Burmese unless it was a specific order. I assume nabbed nationals from adjoining countries get processed quickly and sent by paddy wagon to their respective borders.

I would imagine Immigration would prefer sending all other 'illegals' by air to their homelands charging them 3x the airfare (immigration administrative costs inc.).

Plus, fees gained from inmates paying for better food and/or a fanned and less crowded cell.

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

People create problems for other people... ain't that the truth in any and all walks of life. 

We are all on the same iceberg because tomorrow if the government wished all immigration rules and regs could be changed at the drop of a hat and the swish of a pen; for example B800'000 in the bank  becomes B8 '000'000 in the bank and the iceberg would start to melt, (or the tip gets bigger). You're only truly safe and off the proverbial iceberg, when you have PR or citizenship. 

That's right. The retirement extension is a better tourist visa that is granted year after year. Another challenge for retirement here is health insurance and future legislative changes. None of this has anything to do with retirement. It is a simple tourist visa.

Regarding overstayers and criminals. The Thai government and the Thai people could get fed up with such problem foreigners and limit opportunities for foreigners in general.

Overstay and fraud I get it - arrest is justified - but arresting people over failure to file TM30? that's a bit harsh. I hope they're only arresting the landlords and not the tenants as I doubt many Thai landlords actually file these things, and it's not the (legal) responsibility of the tenant.

Anyway, all these crackdowns only serve to deter foreigners/tourists. Good luck with their "X million tourists this year" goal.