Thailand’s causes of air pollution’s “Slow Violence” and its possibilities for the Clean Air

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s polluted air has been a staggering issue for years now especially in the North where the air quality is reported to be detrimental to people’s health. But, as the rainy season is approaching, deluding our view that the air pollution has subsided, the opposite is true. 

This year, Thailand is seeing worse haze than the previous. The air pollution is caused by various factors such as urban transportation, industrial pollution, forest fires and agricultural burning to clear the land for the next crop cycle–made worse by this year’s El Nino which makes the air even more dry and susceptible to burning.

The recent NASA Fire Information for Resource Management System (a hotspot-detecting satellite) depicted South East Asia ablaze with active fires and thermal abnormality–almost 30,000 hot spots in Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-causes-of-air-pollutions-slow-violence-and-its-possibilities-for-the-clean-air/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The air pollution is caused by the temperature layer cold warm-cold-from November to April. CO2 levels in Thailand are not sensored.  Burning fields is the main culprit.

Conclusion: Smart subvention for farmers and buying air purifiers????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The government should offer incentives, for the farmers to switch crops. This is 2021. Rice and sugar worked in previous centuries. Now, they do not make any sense. Too labor intensive, too much degradation of the land, water, air, and resources. Let's get with the times. Let us move forward. 

Likely far more than that amount of people that are suffer each year. And the authorities do not seem to care, one iota. If they did, something would be done. Instead, only hollow promises. 

We will enforce the ban on burning. And it never gets enforced. No penalties, no nothing. 

We will do something about poorly maintained diesel vehicles. And nothing is ever done, because the cops are too lazy, and the highway patrol refuses to patrol the highway, and the special hotlines you set up, do not know anything about the program, or the laws. 

We care about the environment. Yeah right. Another bald faced lie. You care not, you see the air, you talk about the air, and you do nothing about the air. More empty words from the "do nothing men".

I know I am dreaming. It takes a progressive administration to do these kinds of things, and Prayuth and his gang are as regressive as they come. The youth must prevail. The dinosaurs must be forced to the side, and the youth must figure out a way to lead this nation forward. Otherwise, it is nothing but darkness, that will prevail.

They shut down the economy due to covid. But, burning cane is ok. Can't they see the effect it is having on the air? Do they care one iota? Don't the leaders live here too? Why are they MIA? Why don't the "do nothing guys" do something for a change? 

When the crop burning starts to kill the population, and lowers the quality of life for those of us who don't die, isn't it time to take action? We just don't need the sugar. Shut down this toxic, heinous industry. Lock up the farmers. Sieze their land. Do whatever it takes. 

The problem is not only the politicians, but also the rice and sugar farmers, do not care:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/12/how-chiang-mai-became-the-worlds-most-polluted-city

Great article. At least they state the truth. It is field burning and predatory agricultural practices, more than wildfires, that is to blame. And the army won't touch the giant growers. Perhaps a more creative and far more drastic approach would work? 

Rice does not make sense? Yes...because Thailand and the rest of Asia doesn't eat rice, right?

Recently was in an US report about their airpolution a list of the 30 most polluted (air) cities. It was full with China, Pakistan, India, maybe a few others, not a single Thai city.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The government should offer incentives, for the farmers to switch crops.

For sure this is "part" of the problem but truthfully it is not likely the biggest part

Look at what burns during burn season. Much or most of it not even from crop waste.

But mainly Thai's use burning for everything from getting rid of trash to clearing underbrush on whole mountains.

BTW: finding a cash use for framers husks/crop waste would be good incentive to bundle it. If govt bought it & used as a fuel to produce electricity same as Hawaii did for years with sugar cane waste. But then again that is just another type of burning

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

From the article:

'the main causes that have been worsening air quality in Thailand.

• Urban Transportation–especially in the metropolitan area of Bangkok. As the number of personal cars have increased over 250% in the past 20 years and the law to tax old vehicles that emit pollution is still relaxed. Plus, Thailand’s adoption of Euro Emission Standard (vehicle emission standard for pollution) is also delayed. SOLUTION - police!
  • Industrial Pollution–Thailand’s environment regulation has been weakened by the current junta government that does not monitor small factories compared to other countries who have legislation to mandate industrial pollution. Moreover, Thailand has been working blind on reducing industrial pollution as it has no data base on factory emission.  SOLUTION - new Government
  • Forest Fires—The fires are directly linked to air pollution from SEA’s seasonal burning of agricultural waste for the next crop cycle. SOLUTION - police.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

Rice does not make sense? Yes...because Thailand and the rest of Asia doesn't eat rice, right?

Recently was in an US report about their airpolution a list of the 30 most polluted (air) cities. It was full with China, Pakistan, India, maybe a few others, not a single Thai city.

Yes, the air here is wonderful, as most of us would attest to. And it is only getting cleaner. 

Rice is a popular staple. But, that does not mean the growers lead lives of prosperity. Anything but. It is an awful crop to grow. Nice to eat. Horrible for the growers. 

Edited by spidermike007

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Yes , you are right , of course ... but show me something that is produced without  pollution ...?

The food you eat , the car you drive , the  cement your house is built with , he sunglasses your girlfriend wears , the computer you use ... it is not possible to produce something without causing pollution at all .

But pollution could reduced to a sustainable level , but they do not want to do this now , it would minimize their profit and they ( the big polluters ) , are just too lazy to change their profitable business model . They need to feel pain before they will move .

Well at first we can save the sunglasses for the gf :cheesy:.
Yes I agree with everything.....specially in Thailand....when it gets hot and all the airconditions run the solar panels produce (different than in Europe in winter). And cheap if you do it yourself. That is a low hanging fruit....My smallish do it yourself solar system brings most of the day 3000-4000 Watt...would be easily 2-3 AC (just I have a company which uses way more...but I'll also add more panels).

But the big issue in Thailand is burning the fields.....

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't hold my breath.

Well actually   I might have to :tongue:

In all seriousness they need to deal with polluting vehicles,

I see  cars and trucks spewing black smoke every day. Back home they would not make it a mile before they are pulled over by the cops. 

Rather than cutting the weeds, the set them on fire, I see it all the time during the dry season, yet the cops don't see it.  

Setting the fields on fire. especially sugar cane.

Burning garbage ,etc.

They  need to develop a viable garbage collection system. What are people supposed to do with their garbage? In our village we have, and the burning of garbage has decreased substantially, but some people are too lazy to put their garbage in bags and take it to the corner to be picked up once a week. 

The authorities  are just paying lip service. 

And then there is the problem of neighboring countries, Air pollution does not stop at the border. So there needs to be regional cooperation. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

I have also solar panels....But don't believe in no pollution at all...your solar panels and the solar cables had to be produced and made a lot of pollution when doing so. So on electric from solar panels is polution just it is somewhere else (and not that much)

Quite right but the pollution added by the manufacturing of such equipment is relatively short term and small on volume, whereas the panels, cables etc. will be saving on pollution production for the next 20 - 30 years or so.

You are producing clean electricity but PEA supplies dirty electricity.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, don't all rush at once, but if you want some clean air come to the north east. I've lived up here, just east of Sakon Nakhon for 5 years now and I've noticed that there has been far less burning and a noticeable increase in the use of mechanized farming methods. Our air quality isn't always this good, but neither does become too bad. It is quite rare to see it rise beyond 'satisfactory'. 

I've also seen an increase in the use of solar panels to drive field irrigation pumps, replacing the old 'iron buffalo' method.

So change does happen, albeit very slowly, but it's interesting to note these improvements are taking place in the poorer rural areas and I should note that we do not have any sugar cane farming in this area, thank goodness.

Advocates of the use solar panels, commendable though it may be, might want to read this article on the BBC web site. It ain't all good news.

916492106_Screenshot(17).png.5ec9b85e894a44e1bc5b6ef12d711c3b.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Quite right but the pollution added by the manufacturing of such equipment is relatively short term and small on volume, whereas the panels, cables etc. will be saving on pollution production for the next 20 - 30 years or so.

You are producing clean electricity but PEA supplies dirty electricity.

Yes, my ultra low cost...the cheapest is good enough setup had on the beginning problems with burned out MosFets, but after replacing them it all works with almost no service (cleaning, and one connector) for years now.
And Thailand there is no winter with month of darkness and snow on the panels...it is just perfect....It may not replace the PEA in the night, and might be more difficult for industry, but there are so many roofs and so many parking places where you can add some cheap roof that much more could be done without using any land.

I guess now the panels are expensive again because of Europe but in 1-3 years the prices will drop so much that it will be just cheaper than buying electric.

• Like 1

"State Of Global Air reported that in 2019, over 32,000 deaths in Thailand were attributable to ambient particulate matter pollution (PM2.5). While more recent data is yet to be released, the trend is upward, and it’s very likely that in 2023, even more deaths will be attributable to air pollution."

Thailand Air Pollution Deaths

https://breathesafeair.com/air-pollution-in-thailand/#Air_Pollution_in_Thailand

"A senior public health official has claimed that since the beginning of the year more than 1.3 million people in Thailand have fallen ill from air pollution, which kills more Thai people each year than obesity or smoking.  According to the WHO’s State of Global Air report, air pollution accounted for nearly 8% of all deaths (more than 41,000 cases) in Thailand in 2019, with PM2.5 ranked as the top risk for such deaths."

https://airqualitynews.com/headlines/air-pollution-hospitalises-200000-in-one-week-as-fumes-emissions-and-smoke-descend-on-thailand/

The cost of clean air in Thailand

"Air pollution increases the risk of many non-communicable diseases, such as ischaemic heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. 

In April 2022, PM2.5 concentration in Thailand's air was four times higher than the WHO annual air quality guideline value. This means the Thai population breaths in air that is too polluted, and which will affect their health. In 2016, it was estimated that over 33,000 deaths in Thailand were attributable to ambient air pollution."

Research conducted by Associate Professor Witsanu Attavanich, an environmental economist at Kasetsart University, estimated that the social cost generated from PM2.5 nationwide in 2019 is equal to 2.17 trillion THB per year, accounting for almost 11% of gross domestic product of that year. 

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/detail/08-06-2022-the-cost-of-clean-air-in-thailand

The current Thai government isn't doing anything significant to reduce the country's high levels of seasonal PM2.5 air pollution. But at least they've now begun a new stricter reporting system that will better show the public just how bad things can get here:

I wonder if thais were taught to foster nature as a matter of national pride, then things might change. I'm between a highway and an open air market, so I see the car pollution on one side and litter blowing in the wind on the other side. I don't know what it will take for thais to change, but it is shameful how little is cared about the can/bag/food wrapper once it's empty. disgusting to be surrounded by trash and pollution and locals don't care or even realize it shouldn't be this way. I'm ready to call it quits and I only have to stay here part time, if I want to stay married...

there was a year when I would take an empty bag and pick up the trash at the waterfalls, but the locals never made the effort to improve so I gave up. TIT, and it is for the thais to foster or destroy as they see fit

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, h90 said:

Most rice and sugar is exported, which means that 2 million people have to suffer and get sick and up to 50,000 people die of air pollution annually, just so that a small group of people can enjoy the spills. Globalisation 101.

If the traditional patterns hold, we'll have a few months now during the so-called rainy season when air pollution levels here will be relatively low, followed by yet another seasonal spike of choking air pollution toward the end of the year lasting 5-6 months into next spring (the ag burning season).

The annual rinse and repeat cycle.

PM2.5 readings today for Thailand -- good to moderate:

Screenshot_2.jpg.44d2aa354d25aca282d0f038a74a5406.jpg

http://aqicn.org/station/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital#/z/5

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

We all know the causes, yet in the past solutions seem unattainable.

Maybe a change in leadership will also bring changes in pollution control.

Not just a change in leadership, but a fundamental change in the way big corporations make money. For instance, big oil companies like Exxon and Shell knew back in the 1960’s and 70’s already that massive burning of fossil fuel was causing global warming and climate change. Yet they buried those reports and denied it to this day. 

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It is not getting better , but what is ...?

People do not ( want to ) know how to improve their own life by not polluting anymore .

The effects of that make that everybody suffers .

Don't know why nobody seems to care ... the lemmings are running towards the cliff ...

I have a small house somewhere near the mangrove forest , it is powered exclusively by solar panels that charge my ebike as well . No Pollution at all .

Until the dead solar panels and ebike batteries are consigned to landfill........

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Most rice and sugar is exported, which means that 2 million people have to suffer and get sick and up to 50,000 people die of air pollution annually, just so that a small group of people can enjoy the spills. Globalisation 101.

rice production does not make air pollution....burning the left over doesn't need to be done. It can be made clean.

The rice farmer enjoy the spills also...they get money for the rice.....And what do you think what happens when one of the biggest producer of food stops exporting....Somewhere people will die...most probably in Africa, as the richer countries can buy somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If the traditional patterns hold, we'll have a few months now during the so-called rainy season when air pollution levels here will be relatively low, followed by yet another seasonal spike of choking air pollution toward the end of the year lasting 5-6 months into next spring (the ag burning season).

The annual rinse and repeat cycle.

PM2.5 readings today for Thailand -- good to moderate:

Screenshot_2.jpg.44d2aa354d25aca282d0f038a74a5406.jpg

http://aqicn.org/station/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital#/z/5

Wow look to India...Thailand worst: 90 Mumbai 880...almost 10 times