Eggs-traordinary crisis: Thailand’s soaring egg prices crack traders and consumers alike

webfact

image.jpeg

The soaring cost of eggs in Thailand has left traders and consumers concerned, with some attributing the price hike to a shortage of supplies at farms and increased export demand.

Wanchai Rungmitcharatsaeng, a 65 year old egg shop owner in Khon Kaen’s Mueang district, has been in the business for over 20 years and claims that egg prices have reached an all-time high.

Consequently, many egg sellers have ceased selling the largest-sized eggs, known as No 0 eggs, fearing they may not sell as well as smaller and cheaper alternatives. Currently, No 0 eggs are priced at 145 baht per carton of 30 eggs wholesale, with each egg retailing at 6 baht. In comparison, the smaller No 1 eggs have a wholesale price of 135 baht per carton, with each egg costing 4.5 baht at retail, reported Bangkok Post.

Rungmitcharatsaeng said…

“The farms supplying the eggs to my shop claim now is the time for replacing old hens with younger ones and demand for the export eggs is high.”

by Mitch Connor

Top Photo Courtesy of Flickr (Eimear)

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/egg-prices-soar-in-thailand-amid-farm-shortages-and-export-demand

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

We buy them locally in the village.  As there are no middle-man in the supply chain (just the producer and seller all of whom may the the same people), eggs aren't marked up to ridiculous prices.  So egg prices remain relatively stable in rural Thailand.  For city dwellers?  Yep - the prices are soaring.

My local seller Size 1 x30 120 baht.

6 hours ago, connda said:

We buy them locally in the village.  As there are no middle-man in the supply chain (just the producer and seller all of whom may the the same people), eggs aren't marked up to ridiculous prices.  So egg prices remain relatively stable in rural Thailand.  For city dwellers?  Yep - the prices are soaring.

Sure. There are never such made up issues within the realms of real local markets....where most of the population interacts. I suspect that many on here [backward Farang residents] have little experience with such everyday places - instead choosing to imbibe at the usual and predictable Western-style supermarkets and such, all of which things are truly outta touch. 

Ho hum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

geeeez   for a difference of 10 bht i dont care. i still like the #0 and am willing to pay for them. 10 bht wont break the bank. like gasoline... i like the pure 95 non gasohol. a 42 litre fill up is only 230 bht difference with the gasohol 95. long term, a good investment worth the 230bht. you get what you pay for and for me, here just like back home, i dont really like cheap people

off topic: i remember when i was younger in canada when friends would have a beer and decide that each would pay a round. most of the time the last guy up would say he had enough and got out of buying a round. also, the guy who had a crisp 50 or 20 dollar bill and would say, 'errrr i dont want to cash in my nice bill' in order to get others to buy a round or share a toke. these guys taught me well about cheapos

Ok, let´s help you. They were not talking about the choice of eggs related to the difference in price. They were talking about the price hike of eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Talking to a mate back home the other day and in the conversation he said everything is just so expensive and continuing to go up.

I said what are you paying for a dozen eggs these days, he said the free range ones were 67 baht a dozen, the normal caged ones were 27 baht a dozen.

He then asked me what the price of eggs were here, and I said for the free range village ones here I pay 130 baht for 30 eggs, so that would work out to 4.33 baht or 52 baht a dozen, so slightly lower than his 67 baht per dozen or 5.58 baht each.

As egg yolk is the only food source that has high amounts of vitamins A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9 and B12,  with the white having high amounts of B2, B3, and B5, but also significant amounts of vitamins B1, B6, B8, B9 and B12, eating two eggs a day covers pretty much 10% to 30% of vitamin intake for us mere human beings.

The above said, eggs are still cheaper than a pack of crisps, e.g. 49 to 60 baht per 140 gram packet, and they are bad for you, the crisps that is???? 

I don't know where your friend gets his eggs, but a tray of 30 eggs in Australia below $10 (230 baht) is very difficult to find. In Woolies a dozen of free fange eggs typically salls above $7 which is upwards of 140 baht.

https://www.google.com/search?q=30 eggs site%3A.au&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I said what are you paying for a dozen eggs these days, he said the free range ones were 67 baht a dozen, the normal caged ones were 27 baht a dozen.

I have a hard time to believe that

Aldi prices in the UK

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/chilled-food/milk-dairy-eggs/fresh-eggs

Aldi prices in the Netherlands (half a dozen)

https://www.aldi.nl/producten/zuivel-eieren-boter/eieren.html

By the way, I bought today 10 eggs No 0 at Makro for 57 baht, at Big C extra they are 63 baht

Edited by BenStark
  • Thanks 2

Global egg prices are rising. I heard in USA, some retailers are charge up to US$7 for dozen large size eggs. In Ontario Canada, a dozen large size eggs in a supermarket are CAD$3.69 or about 95 baht. Large equals about Thai size 1 maybe some are size 0.

11 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Any rise in the cost of a basic staple food such as Eggs is bad news to many Thai people that have Eggs as a major part of their diet at times

Easy fix for them is to buy a few layers. They can sell any excess. It amazes me that people are making this into such a huge problem. We're talking about such a small amount of money. People are concerned about something that costs just 4 - 6 baht? Crazy. Quit eating eggs for a week or two and see how fast the price drops.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Bigger trays are cheaper. But I don't need so many. What I do that they hold very long is written below. And this procedure seems to stop aging almost completely from my experience. Just be careful that you put them back into the tray with the bigger side up again (where the air is). They should be in the tray like this when you buy them. 

18 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

geeeez   for a difference of 10 bht i dont care. i still like the #0 and am willing to pay for them. 10 bht wont break the bank. like gasoline... i like the pure 95 non gasohol. a 42 litre fill up is only 230 bht difference with the gasohol 95. long term, a good investment worth the 230bht. you get what you pay for and for me, here just like back home, i dont really like cheap people

95 costs 0.2bht more than 91.

Difference in a 42 litre fill is 8bht. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

95 costs 0.2bht more than 91.

Difference in a 42 litre fill is 8bht. 

95 pure benzene is 43 bht a litre

95 gasohol around 34 bht more or less .  

There still is pure 95 gas at some ptt stations

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

Well i guess you need help. So was i. if people think paying 10 bht extra to get something they want ... bigger eggs in this case... then they are cheap

No, it was the price hike of all eggs, not the difference between sizes that was the point. It never stood anything about that people would change to size 1 instead of size 0 because of the difference of 10 baht, as all eggs have gone up in price. That means the ones who buy size 0 will think that is expensive now as well as the ones who buy size 1. However, I am pretty sure they will also continue to buy the size they want as all gone up approx. the same percentage.

That will not change just because the egg seller fear something, that they have absolutely no evidence for whatsoever. What will be the result, is that you will have it harder to find the big eggs that you want, as they might stop selling them. However, don´t be sad. There is a great solution. Just take two and fry a double egg instead. Yummy! ????

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

It never stood anything about that people would change to size 1 instead of size 0 because of the difference of 10 baht, as all eggs have gone up in price.

Maybe take some reading classes next.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Consequently, many egg sellers have ceased selling the largest-sized eggs, known as No 0 eggs, fearing they may not sell as well as smaller and cheaper alternatives.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it was the price hike of all eggs, not the difference between sizes that was the point. It never stood anything about that people would change to size 1

all this hoorah about eggs? my op has nothing to do about one size in particular... do i have to explain that? the concept i touched on applies to any size with regards to any other size. i just used the most expensive size as my example to explain my point. everything is getting more expensive be they eggs  or anything else. i have learned, when i buy things, that when i have the choice to upgrade things it is often a good idea to spend a bit more and get the better product. if going for an upgrade wont break the bank then i go for it

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:
9 hours ago, BenStark said:

I have a hard time to believe that

30 eggs, 130 baht in the village, guess where lucky ?

You quoted a mate back home, so I assume somewhere in the west, paying 27 baht for a dozen eggs That is what I had a hard time to believe, no need to take my post out of context.

And 30 eggs for 130 baht, without mentioning the size, isn't being lucky, as it is said in the OP that No 1 eggs sell at 4.5 Baht. Maybe yours were even smaller size, and in that case you were unlucky.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

all this hoorah about eggs? my op has nothing to do about one size in particular... do i have to explain that? the concept i touched on applies to any size with regards to any other size. i just used the most expensive size as my example to explain my point. everything is getting more expensive be they eggs  or anything else. i have learned, when i buy things, that when i have the choice to upgrade things it is often a good idea to spend a bit more and get the better product. if going for an upgrade wont break the bank then i go for it

I guess we will skip to two egg concept then. :stoner:

29 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Maybe take some reading classes next.

No, need! The only thing that result in, is that it will be harder to find the big size for the ones who want them. Not that they will change. I also wrote that in the post you quoted a part of. If you bothered to read all, you would have seen it. ????