Has the TM30 been scrapped?

8 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

When I stay in a hotel I check in with my Pink Card so no TM30 is done.

How do you know the hotel is not doing a TM30? I always check in with my Thai driver license. They still do a TM30 sometimes. Sometimes not. Depends on the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In a nutshell.

For those expats that have ongoing stay in Thailand on continuous permission of stay there is now Zero need to file new TM30 when returning to place of residence from inter province AND international travel.

For run of the mill tourists they can ignore TM30 unless they have dealings with immigration such as 30 day extensions to visa exempt or tourist visa etc 

As usual the problem is that some (very few) immigration offices have ignored this change of rules.

In addition the TM30 is now also used for change of  residence for the expat group I referenced earlier. 

Just for one example.

I personally have travelled to Oz last December.

Travelled to Vietnam in Feb this year.

Been to other provinces in Thailand.

Not done ONE TM30.

Ongoing extension with reentry permit.

Dealing with CW

TM30 not required. 

Recently done a TM47 and a certificate of residence.

Also TDL.

TM30 not required. 

First of all the rules mean nothing as each office will interpret them as they see fit. I know Chiang Mai have their own rules on TM30. My office in Nahkon Sawan says my wife must complete a new TM30 because I left Thailand and returned with a new visa. If I'd left with a re-entry permit then that wouldn't be necessary but unfortunately my extension was due for renewal when I was forced to return home due to a family death.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

First of all the rules mean nothing as each office will interpret them as they see fit. I know Chiang Mai have their own rules on TM30. My office in Nahkon Sawan says my wife must complete a new TM30 because I left Thailand and returned with a new visa. If I'd left with a re-entry permit then that wouldn't be necessary but unfortunately my extension was due for renewal when I was forced to return home due to a family death.

Don't see the point of your post.

I have stated often that CM is rogue on this matter.

There obviously will be some others. 

You typed that you returned with a new visa.

Then yes you would need to file a TM30.

If you had returned with reentry permit the TM30 would not be required. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I am very eagerly waiting for the successor of Ubonjoe. What a jewel he was.

Not possible.

BritTim is an expert. 

Good start. 

BTW there is pinned thread tributes ubonjoe.

Think 12 pages. That states volumes. Sadly missed. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

IMO, according to the law and in theory yes, in practice no.

Felt

You do not understand TM30 current rules.

There are 75 immigration offices in Thailand. 

Yes there are couple of offices that have recognized change of rules.

CM being one.

So which immigration office do you deal with.

No big secret. I deal with CW. 

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How do you know the hotel is not doing a TM30? I always check in with my Thai driver license. They still do a TM30 sometimes. Sometimes not. Depends on the hotel.

How would they get my passport number. How would they get my name written in English script? How do you know they ARE doing a TM30?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

How would they get my passport number. How would they get my name written in English script? How do you know they ARE doing a TM30?

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Your Thai driver's permit has your name and passport number on it.

And all Hotels/Guesthouses are required by Thai law to notify local Immigration within 24 hours that a foreigner is staying at their premises.  In large majority of cases they do this by making use of the IO TM-30 website, and you can ask for a copy of the TM-30 notification they issued. 

Of course - this is Thailand - some hotels/guesthouses don't do it, and can be fined by local Immigration for not having complied with the law.  Of course that can only happen when they are aware that it has not been done.  There have been some recent crackdowns in Phuket and SuratThani on Hotels/guesthouses that were not complying (one reason could be that they have foreigners staying there that are on overstay).

• Like 1

I believe I check into hotels with my pink card, but I’m happy to see your proof that I don’t.

You would have to show me where I said you couldn't. Sooner or later you will come across a hotel that insists on copying your permission to stay.

It is all about hotels choosing to follow immigration guidelines. Sometimes I check in without showing anything, others the pink card is ok for ID, but then there are those that will insist on your passport.

Of course you will choose to believe what you want until it happens.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You typed that you returned with a new visa.

Then yes you would need to file a TM30.

Personal experience tells me that is not true.

I returned last Aug on new Evisa,  no TM30 required for extension in Nov, or 90 day reports since.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Personal experience tells me that is not true.

Not interested in personal experience.

You returned with new visa

A TM30 is required. 

I'm just referring to the law in section 2.2

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

IMO, according to the law and in theory yes, in practice no.

Felt

Nothing here has anything to do with "law". It's about immigration policy. They make up new rules all the time. Immigration can do what they like. No one takes them to court to determine what is legal or not under law.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Your Thai driver's permit has your name and passport number on it.

And all Hotels/Guesthouses are required by Thai law to notify local Immigration within 24 hours that a foreigner is staying at their premises.  In large majority of cases they do this by making use of the IO TM-30 website, and you can ask for a copy of the TM-30 notification they issued. 

Of course - this is Thailand - some hotels/guesthouses don't do it, and can be fined by local Immigration for not having complied with the law.  Of course that can only happen when they are aware that it has not been done.  There have been some recent crackdowns in Phuket and SuratThani on Hotels/guesthouses that were not complying (one reason could be that they have foreigners staying there that are on overstay).

Like I said, I use my pink card. The TM30 that I did many years ago had not been affected by any hotel stay. That’s all I care about.

8 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Nope, both my Thai motorcycle and car licenses have my Pink ID number on them.

Both my Thai motorcycle and car have my passport name and passport-number on them.  The point is whether that ID-document number (Passport or Pink ID) is sufficient for the Hotel/Guesthouse to issue an on-line TM-30. 

I presume that you when you are able to check-in with a Pink ID-number, that the Hotel/Guesthouse would be able to issue a TM-30, as they would otherwise not be in compliance with thai law.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Both my Thai motorcycle and car have my passport name and passport-number on them.  The point is whether that ID-document number (Passport or Pink ID) is sufficient for the Hotel/Guesthouse to issue an on-line TM-30. 

I presume that you when you are able to check-in with a Pink ID-number, that the Hotel/Guesthouse would be able to issue a TM-30, as they would otherwise not be in compliance with thai law.

To tell you the truth, my wife checks us in, I always end up as a "plus-1", or as a "plus-2" if our daughter is with us. Never handed over my Pink ID or passport while staying at numerous places around Thailand. Nobody has ever asked for either while staying in any hotel here in Thailand.

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Indeed.. But it equally would be more useful and productive if people posting their personal experiences also provided the pertinent details, such as what Immigration office was involved, and what kind of transaction triggered the TM30 request.

Without that, readers really have no way of clearly knowing what actually transpired and why.

The comment that I made, which has caused pages of nonsense from those who want to know best, was not related to my personal experience. I simply referred to the fact that there had been a number of reports on this forum about CW demanding TM30s.

Why anyone should think it’s MY responsibility to find all those reports is beyond me. If they really want to know then let them look for themselves. This thread is way past it’s usefulness.

• Sad 2

I'm pretty confused on if I need to do one of these. I came in on a METV a year ago and did multiple extensions no problem at CW without mention of TM30 over that time. Actually I've never been asked for a TM30 ever in my many years of coming and extending visas.

My last entry was a border bounce so got 30 days visa exempt and now want to extend 30 more which is now done at IT square. Does this mean I have to to do a TM30? Can I just go stay in a hotel and tell them to do one if thats the case? Can I show up and just pay a fine or would they just make me come back?

25 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

Does this mean I have to to do a TM30? Can I just go stay in a hotel and tell them to do one if thats the case? Can I show up and just pay a fine or would they just make me come back

Yes you need to have TM30 to obtain 30 day extension.

Yes you can check into a hotel and have them provide you with screenshot of filing..

Immigration might fine or send you away without a TM30 

Best to provide one.

Note: you can make appointment at IT mall. Appointment link.

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

If you make appointment take hard copy of confirmation email. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 8:17 AM, bigt3116 said:

Should be, the pink card PROVES that you are a foreigner.

But luckily, most landlords/front desk etc. either don't know that, or don't care, I have never been TM30'd using a pink card, it's one of the handiest things about having one...

10 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

They don't need your passport number. They don't need your name written in English. They can use your pink id card number and they can use your name written in Thai script. Your pink id card number is obviously tied to your passport and english name in the immigration systems.

How do I know some hotels filed a TM30? Because I've seen my TM30 history which an immigration officer was kind enough to show me. Also I've been handed a TM30 receipt once.

• Like 1

In Jomtien the TM30 room is very small so you can see lots of paperwork and hear lots of discussions with IO.  I've visited about 20 times on last 8 years. 

Guess what TM30 photo copy is not required if your hotel submitted and it is on the computer. So that could explain why people think TM30 copy is not required when it was actually submitted?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 2