Phuket struggles to attract tourists in 2023 low season

webfact

image.jpeg

“He said there’s been a noticeable decline in tourist numbers, as evidenced by hotel reservation rates of only 40-50% from both domestic and foreign visitors.”

The Phuket Tourist Association is putting together proposals to the new government (whoever that may be), aiming to revitalise the island’s tourism economy and restore the impressive 400 billion baht in income it reached back in pre-Covid 2019.

In a Bangkok Post article, PTA president Thaneth Tantipiriyakij, emphasised the importance of tourism as one of the island’s key economic drivers, alongside exports.

“The new government should prioritise tourism policies across all sectors by collaborating with organisations such as the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the Culture Ministry, and the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau.”

By Peter Roche

Top picture: A quiet Kata Beach on June 16 at 1pm.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/phuket-struggles-to-attract-tourists-in-2023-low-season/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-06-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

Oh! classical: there's problem - we got solution. It will cost you mere __________ that much. 

This is MO of TAT since BOI fair. They're always on it.

Tourism is not "one of the island’s key economic drivers" due to massive tax evasion and other creative financial schemes to avoid them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

Well getting scammed by taxi drivers as soon as you leave the airport is a bit of a turn off for a start, i'd never go back there.

Not even in your own vehicle? I find that stops the scamming in its tracks! ????

But... all those predictions! 

From various billionaire run authorities and councils!

The Chinese ???? mostly crime syndicates and celebrities.

The Russians ???? mostly crime syndicates and rich men's draft dodging sons.

The Kazakhs ???? god knows what brings them here en masse suddenly, either government officials mass laundering money, or did they find oil in Borat's village?

The Indians, dripping in gold and yet wandering around in packs sharing two bottles of chang at every bar. 

I'm sure the real upper end are doing well for the elite hotel franchise owners, but they don't feed the mouths here that people who arrive in Economy class do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Why such poor treatment for the heroes of the Russian nation? Fleeing a horrific war, waged by a madman, serial killing dictator, and refusing to slaughter women and children, is something to be very proud of.

Surely sarcasm? Even Navalny, so called hero victim of democracy, is known to be down with the re-Russification of Ukraine and other former Soviet states.

They're here, Understandably, for pure self-preservation, maybe there's a handful of wealthy liberal Russians at best. 

Also, poor Russian males, are not here, they're refugees in Europe, or they are dead men walking. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

Wait, didn't they just announce (again) a huge jump in tourist arrivals? But I guess those Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, and Malaysian tourists prefer other locations to Phuket.

(I heard, Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakhon are popular holiday destinations this year.)

And, not to worry, 50 Chinese airplanes with half a million passengers are on their way...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

Visiting during COVID in Dec 2021 was a good experience although it was impossible for me to find certain locations in Kata/Karon that I had been in the late 90s.

Sep 2017 during offseason with a mate was also fun. Driving a rental car.

But from what I read here and elsewhere there is nothing that attracts me for another visit. Maybe 21 was a final goodbye.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I know of a 5 star hotel in Karon only 5 rooms booked, 

Time to raise the room rates!!!

We read all about overstay crackdowns and the south is just a rip off with jaded thais imo

I went down south ONCE in 2008 when i first arrived..have not had the desire to return....

Always a lanna gent i suppose ????   also im guessing TAT needs to spin this one..yet again