Chonburi Police Commander Accused of Allegedly Extorting 140 Million Baht From Victims Over Online Gambling

webfact

What is interesting is the cintrast with Ukraine, which is attempting to join the European Union, and so is trying to reduce corruption.

My personal opinion is that Ukraine was as corrupt as Thailand, so it will be interesting to see how their efforts to eliminate corruption fare.

• Like 1

The stories all about corruption & fraud. Don't anyone give a dam about all the people who were scammed in the first place. No justice their, then again I suppose gambling is illegal in Thailand. Its like the higher you are, the more you stand to win.  

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Are there any honest folk here in high positions....or does dishonesty qualify you for these positions :angry:

Same in the whole world overall 

• Thumbs Up 1

There isn't a day a story like this doesn't come out. Tough to believe there is a honest person in government includes p9lice and Army. 

If there is no one is going to step forward or stand up. Anyone think Pita or current head snitch they have their own agenda.

We all know the answer to fix the problem.

• Love It 1

It would be fun to see the fortunes of each leader, politicians, police, army , civil servants etc researched and printed for all to see.  
In western countries they do. 
I think it would wake up the Thais !! They are the ones who vote for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petermik said:

Are there any honest folk here in high positions....or does dishonesty qualify you for these positions :angry:

Corruption is at all levels. I knew a Thai school purchasing agent, and was sitting next to her at an assembly one day, waiting for the event to start.  She was figuring the cost of some chairs. They were 99 baht each, and she was using a calculator. I asked her if it wasn't a little too easy to be using a calculator, and she told me she had to figure in her personal take on the deal. All levels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think with the RTP, it would be safe to presume guilty, until proven innocent. This especially applies to a senior officer. The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? 

There is one aspect of this, that always has to be taken into account. I think most Thais get it. But most foreigners do not. The police here own franchises. They are franchisees. They are not law enforcement officials. They rarely engage in law enforcement, traffic safety, or public safety. They are not here for the benefit of the people, and they are not here to keep us safe. They are here to collect. That is all they do. If you need to give them an official title, it would be that of a revenue collection agent. Only it is their own account, that they represent. Nobody will ever touch them. They are protected at the highest levels. They do as they please, and Thailand remains a relatively lawless state. And that is a huge tribute to the Thai people. Despite the relative lack of a deterrent, the vast majority behave themselves and remain civilized.

A very well written post with great insight into the minds of the Thai society. I like many foreigners did not "get it" when I first arrived in Thailand more than twenty years ago. Now after several law suits, realize this "franchise" idea. But it is not limited to just the police departments. It permeates every aspect of Thai society, government and private sector. It is well known and excepted by the Thai people. And I would agree, Thailand is a lawless state and a very good reason to be very careful.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, geisha said:

It would be fun to see the fortunes of each leader, politicians, police, army , civil servants etc researched and printed for all to see.  

Most people would likely be astonished. We are likely talking about many hundreds of billions of baht. A real robber baron administration. 

Prayuth has had a mandate from the beginning to do the very opposite of fighting corruption. Quite the opposite. He is there to protect the elite, the super wealthy, those who are guilty, those that are connected, and those who are in power. Just think Dark Tao. Just think Red Bull. The list goes on, and on, and on. Only the most naive amongst us believe he or ACT secretary-general Mana Nimitmongkol are sincere about this. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Hardly a day goes by when we don't see another case of corruption either by police,gov't officials,school lunch skimmers,on and on. It's a never ending headline.

And this is only the ones that are made public.

How crooked/corrupt can a counrty be and still function? I love living here , oh well.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

But Thais Like corruption init.

Great post from One Zero. 

One of them even once blew up a Cathay Pacific jet in the 70s, the usual reason, his girlfriend had left him! Her daughter and everyone else died horrifically too, it was all so twisted due to scummy nationalism, and police face saving pride that his aquittal in a Thai court, resulted in jubilant crowds treating him to a rock star reception.

He died early of abdominal cancer. ????

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Many don't know but you have to prove yourself to join the force, they scrutinise you to see what qualifications you have to scam people, if your honest your out.

Sad to say, but true.

Ever notice that there are so many young fellows that easily qualify. 

A depressing state of affairs.