How to get a Yellow House Book ?

FYI I got my yellow book from the Amphur is Khon Kaen, and the Pink Non-Thai ID from the Forensic Police. 

Yellow book is useful(if no WP) every 5 years to renew DL.

Pink ID is useless and meant for migrant workers. You might be lucky in some situations if the person is confused as they've never seen a farang with such a card. 

Yellow book is needed for some things, like getting Citizenship. I've seen farang proudly display their Pink Non-Thai ID, thinking they have somehow integrated into Thai society, not realising that it says non-thai on the front, and 'can't leave the province without written permission' on the back.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, couchpotato said:

No you cannot have the house registered in your name (either on the Chanoot or the Blue House book), but you can apply for a Yellow House Book which basically confirms your permanent address (you can apply for a Pink ID card once you have obtained the Yellow book).

There are  a few threads on the Yellow House book, so suggest you read those for more info.

Hope that helps.

Maybe the Yellow Book you are referring to is more recent and is in English. Everything in my Yellow House Book is in Thai, so it is not helping me.

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes you can use it to register a vehicle, renew driving license, You can check in to a hotel with a pink card.

You cannot check into the Nana hotel in Bangkok with a pink card, only your passport. That also applies to a hotel I used in Petchabun, so I would think there will be other hotels though very much in the minority where you cannot check in with your pink card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

You cannot check into the Nana hotel in Bangkok with a pink card, only your passport. That also applies to a hotel I used in Petchabun, so I would think there will be other hotels though very much in the minority where you cannot check in with your pink card.

Never been a problem for me, they ask for PP i give them my pink card without saying anything.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I think the hotel need your passport to pass on info to Immigration. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Checked into the Nai Harn in Phuket in April with my Pink ID card, and just last week in BKK checked into the Centre Point Hotel Chidholm with it.  No issues. Not sure what your on about

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Checked into the Nai Harn in Phuket in April with my Pink ID card, and just last week in BKK checked into the Centre Point Hotel Chidholm with it.  No issues. Not sure what your on about

Did I not say that it would be a small minority who insisted on passports?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Maybe the Yellow Book you are referring to is more recent and is in English. Everything in my Yellow House Book is in Thai, so it is not helping me.

The yellow book is only in Thai (your name is translated from your passport).

So not sure why it wouldn't help you with whatever you are wanting to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Can confirm several hotels I've checked into in Phuket have demanded my passport. Watched the staff examine the immigration stamps and discuss them between themselves. On the other hand, where the booking was done by my Mrs, I sometimes don't get asked to show either my passport or pink card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I checked in to the ATEase hotel in BKK with pink card, not a cheap hotel that one. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think the hotel need your passport to pass on info to Immigration. 

Or pink ID card. 

On 6/18/2023 at 6:08 AM, KannikaP said:

No surprise. My Amphur told me I must be married to get Yellow Book / Pink Card.

There was/is an old thread on here about a guy who challenged their Amphur by going to the ombudsman in Bangkok who in turn told the Amphur you do not need to be married. However, we inquired at my local Amphur and sure enough I was told I would need copies of our marriage certificate.

8 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

There was/is an old thread on here about a guy who challenged their Amphur by going to the ombudsman in Bangkok who in turn told the Amphur you do not need to be married. However, we inquired at my local Amphur and sure enough I was told I would need copies of our marriage certificate.

The Amphur staff most certainly don't want all foreigners to get Yellow Books/ Pink Cards. Imagine all the extra work! 

Much easier to tell those with no spouse that they don't do it, especially if they can't speak Thai.

4 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

...However, we inquired at my local Amphur and sure enough I was told I would need copies of our marriage certificate.

That's not quite the same as a district office saying that you must be married to get the yellow house registration book.

From the way you wrote it, you are already married and the district office was aware of it. In such case it is useful for the district office to have a copy of your marriage certificate to verify the Thai spelling of your name and make sure to use the same spelling in your house registration book. I'm not sure, but perhaps the Thai spelling of some other names that also go into the house regiration book (fist name of father and mother?) are also in the marriage certificate.

23 hours ago, jayboy said:

I can succinctly summarize the vast amount of discussion on this subject:

It can be useful to have a Yellow Book and Pink Card in some circumstances..But if you don't have them or can't be arsed to get them, it doesn't particularly matter.

mine have been invaluable over the past couple of years.

Did this some years ago, so now from memory.

First get poof that you live at house;  photo outside with PYB, endorsed by local Amphur office and PYB.

The take all local documents to BKK and get your birth cert. and marriage cert. officially translated into Thai, and endorsed as genuine by your embassy.

Take all document to Immigration office in BKK, ( way out of town,)

This I/O will know what you now need to do, o follow their instructions.

Wait 1 about  week.

Return to I/O and collect your yellow book.

Returnhome and proudly show your new Document....

WOFTAM in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, Robin said:

Did this some years ago, so now from memory.

First get poof that you live at house;  photo outside with PYB, endorsed by local Amphur office and PYB.

The take all local documents to BKK and get your birth cert. and marriage cert. officially translated into Thai, and endorsed as genuine by your embassy.

Take all document to Immigration office in BKK, ( way out of town,)

This I/O will know what you now need to do, o follow their instructions.

Wait 1 about  week.

Return to I/O and collect your yellow book.

Returnhome and proudly show your new Document....

WOFTAM in my opinion.

Immigration has nothing to do with getting a yellow house book.