Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

So....You say you used to have a six figure salary.

But the cut off point for the full OAP as a single non homeowner person is only $543,750.

So were earning a six figure salary but were not able to even save 500 grand?

I have far more than that, however being as smart as I am have moved my money before the 5 year period and left enough to show that I have just under the threshold which will go further down as I approach pension age, i.e. in 4 years.

The 50,000 baht that I will receive per month will be subject to the deeming rate and be reduce while I am living in Australia, however when I return to Thailand there won't be any deeming because my assets are not taxable as a non resident, go figure that one out.

Never assume everyone is broke who is returning to get the pension, the way I look at it is 50,000 baht a month is 50,000 baht a month, better out of the governments pocket than mine.

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think it's around 43/44 K per month with the exchange rates , I don't think you get the allowances

49,351.50 baht as of 20 September 2023 if applying a rate of 22.50 to the $.

The full rate paid to a single pensioner will go up from $1,064 to $1,096.70

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I didn't enjoy it at all lol, was a difficult read....my takeaway from that is that the 2 year rule applies providing you don't indicate you are only back to receive a pension....and that a minimum of 4 weeks a year you are allowed to be out of the country? Am I reading that right?

Knowledge is power as the old saying goes, and reading gives you that.

That is my take on it, albeit it the absent period is not enshrined, but I would suggest 4 weeks, similar to annual leave would be more than enough, remembering that they can stop the pension during that absence, which is more than likely, however the absence period is not added to the jail term.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

If your married can you bring your wife /partner back to Australia for that 2 year period?

Then again as one poster said it may not be a good idea to tell them your married , but then then the negative is you miss out on the married rate !

The married rate if your wife is under the pension age is half of the married rate, currently $802 which is half of the full rate for a couple.

If your marriage isn't recorded, just be careful what extension (visa) your on, I am transferring onto the retirement extension (visa) when I am due for an extension at the end of the year as I will be telling them that is when I separated, not getting divorced as that costs $1,000AUS if you do it yourself, so why throw the money away.

Yes will miss the Mrs, but a week back to Thailand every 6 months will help, you can also get her to fly over for a week or more every 3 months if he has Citizenship, but mine can't as we kids in high school, so I have to come over during the holidays, but can also get them to come over for 8 weeks during the big school break during March/April/May, however the airfares will cost, but won't break the bank, so that is an option, as accommodation will already paid for (rent).

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think it's around 43/44 K per month with the exchange rates , I don't think you get the allowances

You do get the full OAP supplement if your OAP is transferred abroad. You don't get the allowances (e.g. energy allowance).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I don't think that you are as smart as you think you are.

There are a number of very significant errors in your plan.

But I could not be bothered wasting my time to highlight them for you.

You will bump into them in due course.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

jeal·ous·y
/ˈjeləsē/
noun

1. the state or feeling of being jealous.
    "a sharp pang of jealousy"
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Australian government already knows you are married because the embassy certified your free to marry stat dec back when you got married.  Or did you overlook that issue as well.

What are you on about, I was married in Oz, not in Thailand, not that that matters, but Centrelink will accept separation as well as divorced. Hence the reason I am transferring to the retirement extension from the marriage extension, this will be done 4 years prior which shows that the separation occurred 4 years prior to the OAP age.

I overlook nothing because I am a planner, not a negative person with a big ego who thinks he knows everything.

You say you know more, but in my opinion, you know nothing because you do not contribute, you say you couldn't be bothered, then why even be here ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Hilarious...why would I be jealous of someone who is leaving his family for two years, to implement a plan based on fraud, in the hope of getting a piddling 40K THB per month?

Moderators, is there not a rule on this forum that prohibits talking about criminal activities?

B38BA7B6-6408-4EA5-B143-107F768BDA34.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe after 26 weeks, both drop off and you only receive the OAP.

I get the full OAP plus the supplement every 4 weeks into my K bank account, been receiving it for several years.

I don't get the alowance e.g. energy allowance. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe after 26 weeks, both drop off and you only receive the OAP.

Just my guess work, there seems to be 2 'groups'.

1. OAP recipients who have 'qualified' for portability and requested to be paid by international funds transfer every 4 weeks to a nominated bank account abroad and receive their entitlements through this method.

I'm in this group same as many other aussies, I've been receiving my full OAP and the full supplement into my K bank account every 4 weeks for several years. Never ever had any correspondence asking about returning to OZ or mentioning that my entitlement could be reduced. Never.

2. Another group consisting of OAP recipients who  receive their entitlements every fortnight to their bank in Australia but have decided to take a long holiday abroad and C'link know they went abroad and know they haven't returned to Oz through the permanent linkage to online immigration records. They seem to be subject to some different regulations including correspondence mentioning time periods and reduction / suspension of benefits.

Very confusing. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

So the basis of you plan is fraud?

Why would you admit that on a public forum?

You are overlooking one show stopper.....but I will let you bump into it on your own.

How is saying that I am separated fraud, I live in Australia and she lives in Thailand, that means that we are separated.

Your not the brightest tool in the shed are you ?

Nothing is overlooked, believe what you like.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Hilarious...why would I be jealous of someone who is leaving his family for two years, to implement a plan based on fraud, in the hope of getting a piddling 40K THB per month?

Moderators, is there not a rule on this forum that prohibits talking about criminal activities?

You really don't understand law do you, that said you have to know how to play the game, and that you can't do, suffice to say, too bad you can't afford to go back and get the 50,000 baht a month, not 40,000 Sam.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I get the full OAP plus the supplement every 4 weeks into my K bank account, been receiving it for several years.

I don't get the alowance e.g. energy allowance. 

Then I learn something everyday, that said, I am pretty sure I read that the supplement and energy stops after 26 weeks away from Oz, just watch out because if I did read correctly, that will be a lot of backpay to them.

I hope I read wrong, mums the word.

I'll look into this in a couple of hours as I have to pick up the kids and post later as I am also curious if what I read was correct, and might give us a clearer picture.

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'll look into this in a couple of hours as I have to pick up the kids and post later as I am also curious if what I read was correct, and might give us a clearer picture.

I repeat, my post is just a guess / a possible answer as to why there seems to be 2 pictures. But I have no proof whatever.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have far more than that, however being as smart as I am have moved my money before the 5 year period and left enough to show that I have just under the threshold which will go further down as I approach pension age, i.e. in 4 years.

Loving your posts, very informative. Curious to know your plan regarding accommodation for those 2 years please?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

You do get the full OAP supplement if your OAP is transferred abroad. You don't get the allowances (e.g. energy allowance).

If you're on the 4 weekly pay cycle it's just that every 4 weeks or every 2 fortnights.

There is no calendar month OAP / C.link payment cycle. 

• Thanks 1

Just my guess work, there seems to be 2 'groups'.

1. OAP recipients who have 'qualified' for portability and requested to be paid by international funds transfer every 4 weeks to a nominated bank account abroad and receive their entitlements through this method.

I'm in this group same as many other aussies, I've been receiving my full OAP and the full supplement into my K bank account every 4 weeks for several years. Never ever had any correspondence asking about returning to OZ or mentioning that my entitlement could be reduced. Never.

2. Another group consisting of OAP recipients who  receive their entitlements every fortnight to their bank in Australia but have decided to take a long holiday abroad and C'link know they went abroad and know they haven't returned to Oz through the permanent linkage to online immigration records. They seem to be subject to some different regulations including correspondence mentioning time periods and reduction / suspension of benefits.

Re "Group 1" above: Just wondering if Aussies know that you can nominate a joint savings account to receive your payments (Mine is myself and my adult Thai son at K Bank).

A C'link 'Older Aussies Line" officer told me that:

- C.link is very willing to pay to a joint savings account.

- C.link prefer that it be anothe family member but that's not compulsory.

- C.link has no interest whatever re how many signatures are needed for over the counter withdrawals etc. 

-C'link don't want full personal details of the other account holder. 

• Thanks 1