Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

On 1/5/2024 at 10:24 AM, 4MyEgo said:

There will come a time, that there is a correction,

I agree.

Would you want to buy a place to live in whilst serving out your 2 years in Australia and the "correction" happens?  It would see you lose a lot of money, the equivalent of many, many, many portable pension payments.  :smile:

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, Will27 said:

The $300 per week pension would be in top of my other income.

Like you said, just have to weigh up whether it's worth doing the 2 years

for an extra 28 000 Baht per month.

It's 6 years away so things can obviously change.

It's now around 48,000Baht every 4  weeks (OAP is paid by the fortnight and 2 fortnights <4 weeks>  if you request the funds to be transferred abroad).

It's not paid per calendar month.  If true that would mean 12 payments per year.

But in reality for OAP recipients abroad (if you're living abroad you can request the funds be automatically transferred to your offshore bank account) the payment is every 4 weeks, therefore 13 times every year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:42 PM, Nemises said:

I didn’t sell anything, I left my stuff and car in storage and now doing my 2 years (rent-free!) in Aus and saving $A2k a month from welfare benefits whilst here. 
Back to Thailand next year with the extra $A52k welfare savings - plus pension for life. Thai GF visits me here every 6 months. So, in my situation, obviously not feeling sick about returning to live in Australia for those 2 years. 

The 2 years back in Oz is what you make of it.

Comments using works like 'jail', 'detention', 'purgatory' are not the reality of the situation. 

I was lucky enough to rent (at very reasonable cost - below commercial  rates - a nice 1 bed apartment in a big war vets village Nth of Sydney. Admin. of the village is by *RSLifecare and very focused on vets, other residents very friendly and helpful, inhouse great restaurant with planned menus plus a la carte menu, way under commercial restaurant prices, free bus services to local shopping centres, Medical Centre in the village Doctors / trained nurses on duty 24/7.

*The RSl went through an era when it lost respect and lost it's path but that's all history. Today under their name RSLifecare they are focused and give excellent support and care. 

j

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Will27 said:

This has been discussed several times with you before.

I take it your situation would be in the minority so good for you. Not everyone would be entitled to those benefits.

I'd suggest for the majority of people who have to return for their 2 years, it would be quite difficult.

If I return I'll be lucky enough to be able to live free.

Most people won't.

Even taking into account the huge rents, most will have to leave their family behind.

It shouldn't factor where you're living either.

Some people can claim it from other countries and some can't depending on where you live.

This is just plain wrong IMO.

So yes, for many it will be like a "jail sentence or detention", that is the reality.

Apologies for the typo.

I meant be able to live rent free.

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

I live in Perth I rent a 2-bedroom unit for 240 AUD have not have an increase for about 7 years.

LOL. Too funny,

On one of Australia's largest and most popular rental platforms (realestate . com) there are currently 116 x 2 bedroom 1 bathroom units available for rent in Perth.

The cheapest is 630 AUD per week, that's a lot more that your so-called  "240 AUD"   🤣

IMG_3295.jpeg

Edited by Nemises
  • Love It 2

55 minutes ago, Nemises said:

LOL. Too funny,

On one of Australia's largest and most popular rental platforms (realestate . com) there are currently 116 x 2 bedroom 1 bathroom units available for rent in Perth.

The cheapest is 630 AUD per week, that's a lot more that your so-called  "240 AUD"   🤣

IMG_3295.jpeg

He lives in  government housing .the *mount Druitt " of Perth 

Edited by georgegeorgia

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

I live in Perth I rent a 2-bedroom unit for 240 AUD have not have an increase for about 7 years.

Is that State Hosing Commission?

My good mate who has just moved to Thailand was paying $450 per week for an average 3x1 in an average suburb.

And that was renting through a friend.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Is that State Hosing Commission?

My good mate who has just moved to Thailand was paying $450 per week for an average 3x1 in an average suburb.

And that was renting through a friend.

No, it is not State Housing it is private 

• Haha 1

Just now, Will27 said:

So are you renting from a friend or family member?

I find it difficult to believe you are paying $240 per week and the owner hasn't put the rent up in 7 years.

No, I am not renting of a friend or family member and yes, I haven't had an increase for about 7 years just had house inspection yesterday passed that with flying colours. 

21 minutes ago, still kicking said:

No, I am not renting of a friend or family member and yes, I haven't had an increase for about 7 years just had house inspection yesterday passed that with flying colours. 

And did you / can you help the OP on where he too can get a Perth apartment for $240 pw?

Didn’t think so 🤣

IMG_3294.jpeg

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, Will27 said:

So are you renting from a friend or family member?

I find it difficult to believe you are paying $240 per week and the owner hasn't put the rent up in 7 years.

Because it isn't true. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Getting like you need to unsubscribe to any post after a few replies on any post. A squabble / smarty pants battle breaks out and 30 pointless notification emails later....

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:00 AM, still kicking said:

I live in Perth I rent a 2-bedroom unit for 240 AUD

Some members don't pay any rent when they go back to do their 2 years - everyone's circumstances are different.

For the information of other members, the going rate for a 2 bedroom unit in Perth is over $600 per week!

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:03 PM, still kicking said:

Having had a look at the block of (10) units, i.e. an early 70's, motel style 2 level walk up building with average sizes of units being about the size of a one bedroom unit, meaning 2 bedrooms is tight in todays standards, but good for a single bloke.

From what other units have been renting and selling for in the building, e.g. condition, level, parking, size of the unit, location, it's about the money for the unit vs the return the owner is getting, and not wanting long vacancy and selling periods, the owner has probably suggested to himself and with the agents advice not to increase the rent in fear of losing the tenant and the unit being empty for a long time, i.e. the unit wouldn't be in high demand.

I would suggest you don't have any parking as there appears to be limited parking available, albeit it only saw 2 spaces at the front.

So there we have it in a nutshell everyone, Maylands WA for a cheap, small 2 bedroom unit in a suburban street, albeit it I would think that you will need a car to get around, as I can't see transport and shops being close by, the airport is about a 20 minute drive so might be hearing the big birds coming over every now and again.

Personally for me, it doesn't fit the bill, but your $240 a week serves you well, it kind of reminds me of Lakemba in Sydney where I wouldn't live, but the rents are cheap, e.g. $350-$400 a week for a similar place.

it all depends what one wants, could I live in it, sure, but being spoilt, I need modern, with pool, gym, spa, sauna, and of course shops within a couple hundred metres, which includes public transport.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Having had a look at the block of (10) units, i.e. an early 70's, motel style 2 level walk up building with average sizes of units being about the size of a one bedroom unit, meaning 2 bedrooms is tight in todays standards, but good for a single bloke.

From what other units have been renting and selling for in the building, e.g. condition, level, parking, size of the unit, location, it's about the money for the unit vs the return the owner is getting, and not wanting long vacancy and selling periods, the owner has probably suggested to himself and with the agents advice not to increase the rent in fear of losing the tenant and the unit being empty for a long time, i.e. the unit wouldn't be in high demand.

I would suggest you don't have any parking as there appears to be limited parking available, albeit it only saw 2 spaces at the front.

So there we have it in a nutshell everyone, Maylands WA for a cheap, small 2 bedroom unit in a suburban street, albeit it I would think that you will need a car to get around, as I can't see transport and shops being close by, the airport is about a 20 minute drive so might be hearing the big birds coming over every now and again.

Personally for me, it doesn't fit the bill, but your $240 a week serves you well, it kind of reminds me of Lakemba in Sydney where I wouldn't live, but the rents are cheap, e.g. $350-$400 a week for a similar place.

it all depends what one wants, could I live in it, sure, but being spoilt, I need modern, with pool, gym, spa, sauna, and of course shops within a couple hundred metres, which includes public transport.

Don't forget, still kicking isn't single, he's married.

Also, why would you live there if you didn't have to?

His wife owns 2 properties.

Something doesn't add up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Don't forget, still kicking isn't single, he's married.

Also, why would you live there if you didn't have to?

His wife owns 2 properties.

Something doesn't add up.

Only he can answer those questions.

His rent quoted sounded very cheap to most of us, myself being from the eastern states where a similar unit in a similar location would be between $350-$450 per week, and since he provided the receipt, I could see the address, and having the tools to check, i.e. units in the block, can confirm the $'s he is paying is pretty much on par to what an investor would receive on their outlay.

Last sale in the block for a 2 bedder in 2023 was $290,000, so if they are renting it for say $300 a week, their return is 5.38% gross which isn't bad, that said, the higher the return on residential, the lower the sale price, meaning it's probably old, higher strata levies, away from infrastructure and it would take longer to sell, rent, that said, $240 a week in anyone's language is cheap, it just depends on where you prefer to live and with who and with what facilities you would like, meaning you will pay more, and the sale price would be higher based on the location, age, etc etc.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only he can answer those questions.

His rent quoted sounded very cheap to most of us, myself being from the eastern states where a similar unit in a similar location would be between $350-$450 per week, and since he provided the receipt, I could see the address, and having the tools to check, i.e. units in the block, can confirm the $'s he is paying is pretty much on par to what an investor would receive on their outlay.

Last sale in the block for a 2 bedder in 2023 was $290,000, so if they are renting it for say $300 a week, their return is 5.38% gross which isn't bad, that said, the higher the return on residential, the lower the sale price, meaning it's probably old, higher strata levies, away from infrastructure and it would take longer to sell, rent, that said, $240 a week in anyone's language is cheap, it just depends on where you prefer to live and with who and with what facilities you would like, meaning you will pay more, and the sale price would be higher based on the location, age, etc etc.

Impressive  insight! Can you lets know the ins n outs re the value of my dugout home in Coober Pedy, just curious if your realestate expertise stretches that far! 😄(kidding)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have 4 guys at my work who live in Lakemba ( Sydney's Muslim community) and they say it's the safest area and goes with cafes etc nearly all night with taxi uber drivers ,students etc so has changed a lot in years to now more Bangladeshi 

I think cheaper rents in Sydney are  Claymore , St Mary's ,mount Druitt, 

Edited by georgegeorgia

13 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Impressive  insight! Can you lets know the ins n outs re the value of my dugout home in Coober Pedy, just curious if your realestate expertise stretches that far! 😄(kidding)

I thought you being a bogan they could do one on your home in Mount Druitt