Rat problem

PattayaKevin

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There a few reasons why you can’t do that.

They defecate and urinate so you’re going to make a mess.  Secondly, you would have to get them off the glue board, first, or your foot is going to stick to the glue board as well.  It’s not easy getting them off the blue board, it’s nigh on impossible.

Yes/No....I didn't explain well...

I take the glue board, put it in a plastic bag, which I put in another plastic bag. Than with heavy boots outside on the street...so far not making a mess.

But it is extreme disgusting....Can't eat afterwards

Haven't read the previous posts, but in my last rented house I had rats from the small river/canal behingd the house.

Lotus and all kinds of stores sell the square glue rat traps. They work a treat and I caught 4-5 within days of each other. You sprinkle bits of blue cheese a few drops of peanut oil, bits of pork - whatever.

The traps cost about 40 Baht.

The only downside is in the the morning; the rats are still alive and look at you with a pathetic glint from their beady eye - the one not stuck to the glue.

Place a piece of square cardboard over them and kill them with a hammer blow to the head. It's quick. Then in the bin.

I know this sounds unpleasant, but far more hygienic than rats in your home.

No need to pay out thousands.

You can also view simple rat traps that you can make yourself on YouTube

The rats have been avoiding every trap. I got 2 hairs off of one when it sprung it but didn't get it. Had a guy come look at our roofing problem and he said its all open up there and needs to be replaced. That will definitely cost the landlord some money, if she decides not to guess I will have to start the process of ending my lease.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:29 AM, PattayaKevin said:

My house has rats. Whose responsibility is it in Thailand? The tenant or the landlord? I searched online about it and I got this information. 

Generally, as a property owner, you are responsible for pest and vermin control (such as rats, mice and termites).

I'm currently about 1.5 years into a 5 year lease.

I contacted an exterminator and they want 12000 to 15000 baht for a year contract. They don't do anything shorter than a year.

My contract doesn't mention anything about pests just that I need to maintain it like my own.

The landlord usually is very good at fixing problems in the house and property. 

I have a clause in the contract that I can give her 30 days to fix it otherwise I can give a date to end the lease not sooner than 30 days from that date. 

In some African countries, if people had a rat infestation, they may be called caterers

If it was me I wouldn't be on here asking whose responsibility it is.

I would be banging on the landlords door, informing them I was getting the exterminators in for the vermin and what was she prepared to do about it, and rapido!

I would not be able to sleep if I had those things anywhere near my house, disgusting creatures they are.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:29 AM, PattayaKevin said:

My house has rats. Whose responsibility is it in Thailand? The tenant or the landlord? I searched online about it and I got this information. 

Generally, as a property owner, you are responsible for pest and vermin control (such as rats, mice and termites).

I'm currently about 1.5 years into a 5 year lease.

I contacted an exterminator and they want 12000 to 15000 baht for a year contract. They don't do anything shorter than a year.

My contract doesn't mention anything about pests just that I need to maintain it like my own.

The landlord usually is very good at fixing problems in the house and property. 

I have a clause in the contract that I can give her 30 days to fix it otherwise I can give a date to end the lease not sooner than 30 days from that date. 

I had a rat in my storage room, let my dog in.....after seconds the problem was solved!

If you're a dog guy then there's specific dog breeds that were bred to be rat biters, like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier for example. They were kept by the British working class to watch the kids and take care of the rats. They're really good with kids and people. That's one of the reasons why they're consistently in the top ten of most popular dog breeds in the UK. There's other breeds as well, like the Manchester Terrier which looks like a miniature Doberman.

Making leftover food inaccessible to rats is always a good idea and I'd put some proper rat traps up as well.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Haha 1

I had a rat problem. They ate all the engine cables in the car and even managed to chew through the trucks bed liner. Twice.

One black cat solved it. Haven't seen a rat or even a mouse since we brought him home. Well, sometimes a dead ones that he brings to show off.

Also, he keeps the stray dogs away from property. Very feisty creature.... Many a dog got their nose bloodied by him.

He also keeps away unwanted people, all the soi knows that there is an angry cat guarding "his" property.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I had a rat problem. They ate all the engine cables in the car and even managed to chew through the trucks bed liner. Twice.

One black cat solved it. Haven't seen a rat or even a mouse since we brought him home. Well, sometimes a dead ones that he brings to show off.

Also, he keeps the stray dogs away from property. Very feisty creature.... Many a dog got their nose bloodied by him.

He also keeps away unwanted people, all the soi knows that there is an angry cat guarding "his" property.

Angry cat. Love it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:
On 6/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not?  They're very effective.

Yeah, until you see a few geckos or birds struggling to get free. Very sad experience.

I suppose that if you have birds flying around your home they shouldn't be used but if you're ok with birds crapping in your living room why worry about rats?

Go get the old fashioned wire rat traps & place where you have seen them.

Bait with half a rasher of semi cooked bacon, drag it into the trap leaving a trail of lard at the opening & affix well to the hanging bait hook Even the most cunning ones in the end just cannot resist.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:17 AM, sirineou said:

Chat GPT . When asked  "My house has rats. Whose responsibility is it in Thailand? The tenant or the landlord? "

It replied:

"In Thailand, it is generally the landlord's responsibility to take care of any pest control issues, including rats. This would be outlined in the rental agreement between the tenant and the landlord. It is recommended that you notify your landlord immediately about the rat problem and request their assistance in resolving the issue. "

Extremely irresponsible to ask something as inaccurate as ChatGPT and then present the rubbish it produces as facts. 

An easy way to eliminate the rat problem is for the govt to put a bounty on them. 20 Baht for each dead rat turned in each morning. You'd have hundreds of people out on the street each night collecting the vermin. If they'd force people to place the trash in a sealed container as well that would help.

9 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

An easy way to eliminate the rat problem is for the govt to put a bounty on them. 20 Baht for each dead rat turned in each morning. You'd have hundreds of people out on the street each night collecting the vermin. If they'd force people to place the trash in a sealed container as well that would help.

You would, very quickly, have hundreds of people breeding rats just to kill them for the 20 Baht bounty.

6 hours ago, Myran said:

Extremely irresponsible to ask something as inaccurate as ChatGPT and then present the rubbish it produces as facts. 

now i feel scolded,you so mean ????

Edited by sirineou

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

You would, very quickly, have hundreds of people breeding rats just to kill them for the 20 Baht bounty.

No. The way you do it is to make it a 2 week contest. Whomever catches the most rats gets a prize of 20,000 baht in addition to the 20/per rat. 2nd place gets 12,000. Third place 6,000. Fourth place 3,000 and 5th place 1,000. After that require all trash to be places in secure bins and those that don't comply get a hefty fine. 

Florida has a similar system to get rid of the pythons in the Everglades and Texas has an annual contest to get rid of rattlesnakes. It would also work in Thailand IF people really wanted it to.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, Crossy said:

We had rats until a cat adopted us, evidently our rats were juicier than the neighbouring ones. Cat was assisted by a couple of sunbeam snakes (non-venomous constrictors).

Cat is now a fat cat, but no further rats seen.

Unless it's a really serious infestation there are plenty of rat baits readily available from your local outlets, use a "rat station" if you have pets / children who might eat it.

I stopped using bait boxes because raptors will die. I realized this when I seen a poisoned rodent walking in circles in the open.  That's not the way I roll. 

• Like 1