Pattaya Residents Fed Up With Pushy Migrant Beggars

webfact

They used to be in Bangkok too, maybe 10-15 years ago. Remember having dinner with a date in an open restaurant and one of those pushy kids would come and repeatedly tug on my sleeve:

"Mister, buy flower for lady."

"No."

"Cheap Charlie!"

I look at her grimed face: "Dirty Diana!"

She gave me a most bewildered look and left...

Haven't see these little tykes for ages.

There is begging and there is begging. This reminded me of an instance in Germany many years ago when Marks and not Euros were in circulation. Early one Sunday morning in Munich I walked past an elderly German man sitting on the pavement, as I passed him he said softly, "Have you a spare 10 marks", I spun round in surprise, "What happened to, have you a spare Mark"? I asked. He looked up grinning, "That mein Herr is for Amateures, if you are going to give then give to a professional, we have inflation, get used to it". His cheek fascinated me and I drew closer and noticed he had taken off his shoes and placed them in front of him each with a sentence written on the pavement, the left shoe was asking the right one, 'what's the matter are you tired', the right one replied, 'exhausted, I'm full of holes, I cant keep up with you', laughing I put 5 marks in his cup, he looked up at me with feigned disappointment, "That's deflation, not inflation", "You should be in marketing" I said and walked off grinning for the next 100 meters, money well spent. 

2 hours ago, jcmj said:

Is this really news?

Nobody got beat up by security, nor robbed of a gold chain, so yes it is. Haven't been out for a good while so not been irritated by these hawkers myself.

So if you are a beggar, begging out on the street. That to me is a sign that you do not have any money and is here falsly or by fraud... Like thai goverment says to us white people "show us the money"......  And force us to "show" 400K baht or 800K baht....

Do the very same for these beggars and if they cannot meet the demand or they are begging in the streets, forget the Asean and just kick them out..

Edited by glegolo18
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Am currently in Hanoi and no obvious street beggars here. I did notice people who provide services, like boat operators, are very pushy about tips.

However, there are many really thin Vietnamese pushing and pulling carts so i suppose Thailand is the land of plenty for some, in the same way Thais go abroad looking for work.

But if the Vietnamese police are tough on beggars why not Thailand? 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The residents assumed there was an organized operation behind these beggars, as these groups of foreign people have been previously apprehended multiple times, yet they continue to be seen repeating the same offense.

I suppose deporting them hasn't occurred to anyone?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I suppose deporting them hasn't occurred to anyone?

They do round them up now and again.... but one gets an impression they are soon back on the street. Perhaps with a need to re-earn the money they just had to pay over.......