Visa exempt entry extension 30 days?

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, yes your plan would work.

Personally think obtaining SETV while in Oz and doing one border run better option 

Of course still two trips to immigration for extensions.

Yes, entering Thailand on an Single Entry 60-day Tourist Visa obtained in your home-country would be an easier option.  That 60-day TV can be extended for 30 days at a local Thai Imm Office, and in the final days of that Permit to stay you could then do a simple 1-day border-hop which will provide you with a 30-day VisaExempt stamp, which can then also be extended at a local Thai Imm Office with an additional 30 days. 

Note that instead of a 1-day border hop you could also make use of opportunity to make a multiple-day trip in the neighbouring country before re-entering Thailand Visa Exempt. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Note that instead of a 1-day border hop you could also make use of opportunity to make a multiple-day trip in the neighbouring country before re-entering Thailand Visa Exempt. 

I'm a Saigon junkie so a 3 night stay in district 1 would be my go.

With only one Tourist visa in pp would be zero issues with visa exempt entry via air. 

Of course depends where OP is planning to stay in Thailand. 

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally think obtaining SETV while in Oz and doing one border run better option 

Of course still two trips to immigration for extensions.

The consulate in Adelaide closed down and the Canberra Embassy phones are leading me nowhere... press 1, press 3,  press 1, beep beep beep... click. Emails have not been answered.

Bit of a problem.

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Go through the Sydney consulate for SETV. You can submit your application online, they then email to say pay $60 and send passport for stamp. 

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/index

Yeah, saw that but they recommend applying 1-2 months before departure.... that's a bit of an increase from the 2 day turnaround you'd see at the Adel consulate. Don't really want to wait that long. Thus I have to endure the Penang trip.

14 minutes ago, Hikage said:

Yeah, saw that but they recommend applying 1-2 months before departure.... that's a bit of an increase from the 2 day turnaround you'd see at the Adel consulate. Don't really want to wait that long. Thus I have to endure the Penang trip.

Well it will be faster than the Canberra Embassy you said you were dealing with as they only accept application by post.

I took the apply 4-8 weeks before as purely guidance as SETV is valid for entry within 3 months so why not apply  early (4 weeks before is ok for me as I'd be stressing my flight if any later)

I think the main rule is:

"Upon receiving your application, it takes at least 10 working days to get a visa stamp, excluding the postage time"

Edited by Pattaya57

49 minutes ago, Hikage said:

First up it will not take 1-2 months.

The embassy and consulate websites are often out of date.

More likey couple of weeks. 

Yes you do need to mail your pp for stamp . 

You should not go to Penang.

Bad idea as pointed out by earlier post..

An option not mentioned so far is visa exempt entry from Oz to Bangkok + extension.

Followed by border run +extension.

Followed by second border run you are permitted 2 per calendar year = 5 months. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well it will be faster than the Canberra Embassy you said you were dealing with as they only accept application by post.

I took the apply 4-8 weeks before as purely guidance as SETV is valid for entry within 3 months so why not apply  early (4 weeks before is ok for me as I'd be stressing my flight if any later)

I think the main rule is:

"Upon receiving your application, it takes at least 10 working days to get a visa stamp, excluding the postage time"

Hmm, It looks like I don't need to upload a flight e-ticket. Can I actually send an application without having the flight confirmed and just fill in an approximate arr/dep date on the visa form with an appropriate flight number?

That would be nice. I hate confirming a flight without having a firm date on the visa processing.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

First up it will not take 1-2 months.

The embassy and consulate websites are often out of date.

More likey couple of weeks. 

Yes you do need to mail your pp for stamp . 

You should not go to Penang.

Bad idea as pointed out by earlier post..

An option not mentioned so far is visa exempt entry from Oz to Bangkok + extension.

Followed by border run +extension.

Followed by second border run you are permitted 2 per calendar year = 5 months. 

On the debit side, Vientiane requires an extra full day to process the visa.... though the appointment system sounds like a big improvement.

Your other option sounds very viable though... 1 extra border crossing in exchange for no visa hassle.

Tell me, when was the extension upped from 7 to 30 days?

3 minutes ago, Hikage said:

On the debit side, Vientiane requires an extra full day to process the visa.... though the appointment system sounds like a big improvement.

Your other option sounds very viable though... 1 extra border crossing in exchange for no visa hassle.

You have Australian pp.

Visa exempt entry is 30 days via air and land/sea entries.

Also extensions are 30 days. 

Forget obtaining tourist visa at places such as Vientiane and Saigon.

Both require appointment and requires overnight stay. 

It's an option but perhaps not the best.

Read your thread.

Some experts such as BritTim have posted good advice.

Think plan to fly Penang for TV bad plan. 

1 hour ago, Hikage said:

It has been a really long time, over 20 years, I think. Indeed, when it was seven days, it was not really an extension at all. At the time when visa exempt entries could not be extended, trying to apply for one received a rejection and seven days to leave the country.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It has been a really long time, over 20 years, I think. Indeed, when it was seven days, it was not really an extension at all. At the time when visa exempt entries could not be extended, trying to apply for one received a rejection and seven days to leave the country.

I got my last 7-day "leave the country" stamp in 2009 after doing a border bounce at Mae Sot for a new 15-day (!) entry. 30-day extensions for visa exempt entries must have been introduced at some point later, I'd guess in 2014 or so.

• Like 1

I am in similar predicament.

I booked flight a while ago, flying to Thailand next week for 78 days.

My plan was to get 45 days at airport, then go Jomtiem get extension.

But I understand that its now back to 30 days???

So what are my options?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I got my last 7-day "leave the country" stamp in 2009 after doing a border bounce at Mae Sot for a new 15-day (!) entry. 30-day extensions for visa exempt entries must have been introduced at some point later, I'd guess in 2014 or so.

You are quite correct. Thank you for your correction. I just spent nearly an hour tracking down when the change was made, and 30-day extensions of visa exemptions were only allowed starting in August 2014. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You have Australian pp.

Visa exempt entry is 30 days via air and land/sea entries.

Also extensions are 30 days. 

Forget obtaining tourist visa at places such as Vientiane and Saigon.

Both require appointment and requires overnight stay. 

It's an option but perhaps not the best.

Read your thread.

Some experts such as BritTim have posted good advice.

Think plan to fly Penang for TV bad plan. 

From my reading Vientiane requires 2 nights stay, Penang one.

Yeah, I get it.... the visa run situation changes frequently, but it's a shame as Penang was easy going back a bit, a simple flight to the airport then cab ride to the consulate, oh well.

If 2 border runs a year is allowed, then I'll just do that.

Edited by Hikage

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

You are quite correct. Thank you for your correction. I just spent nearly an hour tracking down when the change was made, and 30-day extensions of visa exemptions were only allowed starting in August 2014. 

Interesting. I recall specifically applying for the 7 day ext knowing a 30 day ext was a no-go.... obviously pre-2014.

3 hours ago, Hikage said:

Interesting. I recall specifically applying for the 7 day ext knowing a 30 day ext was a no-go.... obviously pre-2014.

I think back then there was no restrictions on how many boarder runs one could do, obviously pre-Prayuth :cheesy:

8 hours ago, hackjam said:

My plan was to get 45 days at airport, then go Jomtiem get extension.

But I understand that its now back to 30 days???

So what are my options?

Arrive visa exempt. 30day stamp + extension.

Do a border bounce from Pattaya for another 30 day stamp = 90 days.

Use agent for border run.

Plenty of good agents in Pattaya. 

• Like 1

I got a TR 60 by post from Canberra late last year. Took just over a week to get back to me in Adelaide. Wrote a note explaining that I was not sure if I was going to extend so no proof of onward travel required. Had to provide my Aussie visa as I am a Brit. Easy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I got a TR 60 by post from Canberra late last year. Took just over a week to get back to me in Adelaide. Wrote a note explaining that I was not sure if I was going to extend so no proof of onward travel required. Had to provide my Aussie visa as I am a Brit. Easy.

This is exactly what the OP should do. Good post. 

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Did you have to pre-book air tickets as part of the application?

32 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Get a METV. 60 days on entry + 30 days extension. Nice little trip to Saigon 60 days re entry. Simple job done 

Not worth it for a 150 day trip as an Aus SETV is $60, while a METV is $300. 

SETV gives 60 + 30 extension + 30 exempt + 30 extension

Edited by Pattaya57

16 hours ago, Hikage said:

Hmm, It looks like I don't need to upload a flight e-ticket. Can I actually send an application without having the flight confirmed and just fill in an approximate arr/dep date on the visa form with an appropriate flight number?

That would be nice. I hate confirming a flight without having a firm date on the visa processing.

I'm filling in my SETV form and just had a look at 2nd page with document requirements. For SETV it requires a copy of flight tickets in and out, or a letter stating the itinerary/travel plan. So letter should do.

However it also requires "confirmed accommodation under your name for the duration of stay". This is ridiculous as who books 60 days before they travel as plans can change daily in Thailand lol

I now think your original plan is actually best if want to avoid the Aus visa hassle with flight/hotel requirement. Just pick a different place to Penang as recommended in posts above?

30 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

However it also requires "confirmed accommodation under your name for the duration of stay". This is ridiculous as who books 60 days before they travel as plans can change daily in Thailand lol

Book on Agoda with a hotel that allows payment on arrival, and has no cancellation penalties.  Apply for visa. Receive visa. Cancel Agoda booking. 

• Like 2