How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

35 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is a quite interesting project, convincing people not to be judgemental, or even racists which is one of the fundemental surviving skills humans had since the beginning, and is the most natural fear we instinctly cultivate when we meet challenges in society be it economic, pandemics, war, or hunger. 

Yet we can also be surprisingly intolerant of each other. If we are completely honest, there is perhaps a little bit of xenophobia, racism, sexism and bigotry deep within all of us, if we would only allow it. Luckily, we can choose to control and suppress such tendencies for our own wellbeing and the good of society.

we are a living experiment for time being, but I do not say I dissagre with you, but I am confident my intolerance could make a step further when I had enough of stupidity, and enough experiences with one type of people which you find most places, and not only related to race. Ignorant sex tourists is one of them who think it is their right to exploite poor women, and as well expect respect from the Thai people at the same time. 

https://theconversation.com/is-racism-and-bigotry-in-our-dna-135096

I'm completely honest and I reject your characterisation of racism as a survival skill. Quite the opposite. Racism is the most destructive element in our society. I don't need to supress racism, I have no inclination toward it. I have been married to 2 Thais and Filipina, had girlfriends from nearly every country in Asia, come from the state with highest indigenous population in Australia, studied traditional indigenous society in Australia at tertiary level as part of an anthropology and sociology degree. I have a deep understanding and keen interest in issues of race and equality. I had aboriginal, greek, italian and chinese classmates at school. Those kids have become uni chancellors, ceo of dow chemical and otherwise very finacially successful within the town I grew up.  It isn't in my DNA.

I note this reference within the article you quote:

— bigotry. Hardwired into the brain’s amygdala region is a fear reflex that is primed by encounters with the unfamiliar.

Scientists have discovered physical differences in the amygdalia of people who are racist vs not. I have posted links to this board in the past.

-------------------

The problem is, not everyone has a healthy functioning prefrontal cortex, and these people are the ones whose biases control them. They cannot reason those fearful surges away because they lack the cognitive mechanisms that normally allow people to do so.

Interestingly, brain imaging studies have found links between impaired prefrontal lobe function and religious fundamentalism.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201809/understanding-the-racist-brain

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201809/understanding-the-racist-brain

Edited by ozimoron

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I'm completely honest and I reject your characterisation of racism as a survival skill. Quite the opposite. Racism is the most destructive element in our society. I don't need to supress racism, I have no inclination toward it. I have been married to 2 Thais and Filipina, had girlfriends from nearly every country in Asia, come from the state with highest indigenous population in Australia, studied traditional indigenous society in Australia at tertiary level as part of an anthropology and sociology degree. I have a deep understanding and keen interest in issues of race and equality. I had aboriginal, greek, italian and chinese clAassmates at school. Those kids have become uni chancellors, ceo of dow chemical and otherwise very finacially successful within the town I grew up.  It isn't in my DNA.

As long you are able to distance yourselves to every possible feeling of intolerance, it might be so, but at some point, you also feel discomfort by other people, not necessery by race, but by apperance, and when that feeling repeat itself enough times, most people create instinctly a reaction and a strong feeling of discomfort. 

Working in the eastern part of Oslo when our new citizens (muslims) started to become the majority of this part, was an interesting experience. Many people who had lived there in generations was now pushed out and did not feel welcome anymore. How would you felt if you where invaded in such way? Kids established gangs, drugs, robberies, women was harrassed, etc

It is easy to distance yourself from it, because you do not live there, and I did not live there myself, I was just a security working day and night. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

As long you are able to distance yourselves to every possible feeling of intolerance, it might be so, but at some point, you also feel discomfort by other people, not necessery by race, but by apperance, and when that feeling repeat itself enough times, most people create instinctly a reaction and a strong feeling of discomfort. 

Working in the eastern part of Oslo when our new citizens (muslims) started to become the majority of this part, was an interesting experience. Many people who had lived there in generations was now pushed out and did not feel welcome anymore. How would you felt if you where invaded in such way? Kids established gangs, drugs, robberies, women was harrassed, etc

It is easy to distance yourself from it, because you do not live there, and I did not live there myself, I was just a security working day and night. 

I'll say it again. My reaction to people is not driven by race or colour but by behaviour. That should be the case for most normal people. See my edited post above.

Edited by ozimoron

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'll say it again. My reaction to people is not driven by race or colour but by behaviour. That should be the case for most normal people. See my edited post above.

And my experience, remember we all speak by experience as well available researches and what we read, and what we actually digest and choose to believe no matter it is true or not, we all are influnced by a mix we think are right or not.

When a pattern of behavior is linked to one specific ethnicity, is it racism or is it pure behaviour related? 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

And my experience, remember we all speak by experience as well available researches and what we read, and what we actually digest and choose to believe no matter it is true or not, we all are influnced by a mix we think are right or not.

When a pattern of behavior is linked to one specific ethnicity, is it racism or is it pure behaviour related? 

It is racism because it is stereotyping.

32 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Being haggardly and unwell kept is a behavior. If someone isn't putting any effort into their appearance, I am less respectful to them. Like walking into a restaurant when you can tell that they literally just crawled out of bed. 

11 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Being haggardly and unwell kept is a behavior. If someone isn't putting any effort into their appearance, I am less respectful to them. Like walking into a restaurant when you can tell that they literally just crawled out of bed. 

Yes, my point is that I don't get drawn into generalizing about a race no matter how many examples I see associated with a particular race.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It is racism because it is stereotyping.

So when you do not like one specific behaviour, you are racist? On paper you are right, but we are talking about human beings here, like you and me

23 minutes ago, Hummin said:

So when you do not like one specific behaviour, you are racist? On paper you are right, but we are talking about human beings here, like you and me

The paper is talkign about human beings like you and me. Just accept that racism isn't a universal, innate or an intrinsic trait and leave it at that.

Edited by ozimoron

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, my point is that I don't get drawn into generalizing about a race no matter how many examples I see associated with a particular race.

Well, where I live, we have many different nationalities I can't see any problems with racism. Yes, I realize there is always a few who complain about foreigners but most of different looking people are citizen or born here most of my friends are foreigners but with citizen ship of my country 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, where I live, we have many different nationalities I can't see any problems with racism. Yes, I realize there is always a few who complain about foreigners but most of different looking people are citizen or born here most of my friends are foreigners but with citizen ship of my country 

Where I come there is a huge problem with racism. A few weeks ago I was entering Starbucks at Central Festival in Pattaya and there was a group of 2 Indian looking families leaving, the women dressed in Indian traditional garb. I held the door open for them and one of the men thanked me in a native born English accent.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Where I come there is a huge problem with racism. A few weeks ago I was entering Starbucks at Central Festival in Pattaya and there was a group of 2 Indian looking families leaving, the women dressed in Indian traditional garb. I held the door open for them and one of the men thanked me in a native born English accent.

Well, you still are in Thailand I am talking about my country 

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, bogs smith said:

I shower at least twice a day and wear the finest cologne. its not enough??

Not enough but TOO much.Your cologne is likely offensive to some people here and other Asian countries.  Dump it. One's  body  should only emanate light scent of shower cream here

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

The lady moved to another table.... One reason could be that she can't speak any English and was afraid you might try to engage her in an English conversation. 

So rather than lose face by not being able to understand you / engage in any conversation she moved.

This is possible.

entirely possible,
for myself i don't pester others for no reason
maybe this is a bad perception of foreigners, brought on by the many pests that visit here
thinking they can just invade others space and spark up a small pointless conversation everywhere they go
see this often but usually limited to tourist towns

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am the only falang for miles so I am a bit of a novelty but so far so good. 

That makes a difference (unfortunately) and proves that many Farangs here play up as if Thailand was just waiting for them and without them the country would be doomed. I touched also virgin ground and experience the same... 

I have met so far 2 Farangs at Tescos, but they are not from my village.

One "classic" retiree in sleeveless Chang T-shirt scrolling on his own through the shelfs and one was a "1%er Biker Type" and he was surrounded by Thais in different ages, all were laughing and joking.

So the dress has only a minor impact... 

And the daily visits from neighbors show that you can be integrated when you behave and stick to the Do's and don't Do's.....

Isn't difficult at all.. 

1 hour ago, bogs smith said:

nah. 

im still here. i'm sure you will be over the moon about that.

Great! So how long have you been struggling with your overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people here in Thailand?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Great! So how long have you been struggling with your overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people here in Thailand?

since i got off the plane. the IO had a terrible attitude. 

and then of course the taxi driver. 

an awful rogue.

but i suppose that was my fault too due to my 'superiority complex.' 

maybe i looked 'too aggressive' when i was waiting patiently in line to have my passport stamped and it was definitelty my fault by wearing a vest that i got ripped off by the taxi driver.

Edited by bogs smith
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:
13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am the only falang for miles so I am a bit of a novelty but so far so good. 

That makes a difference (unfortunately) and proves that many Farangs here play up as if Thailand was just waiting for them and without them the country would be doomed. I touched also virgin ground and experience the same... 

I have met so far 2 Farangs at Tescos, but they are not from my village.

One "classic" retiree in sleeveless Chang T-shirt scrolling on his own through the shelfs and one was a "1%er Biker Type" and he was surrounded by Thais in different ages, all were laughing and joking.

So the dress has only a minor impact... 

And the daily visits from neighbors show that you can be integrated when you behave and stick to the Do's and don't Do's.....

Isn't difficult at all.. 

You have incorrectly attributed that post. I did not say that. @cjinchiangrai said that.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're having a bad time, it's getting you down, we get it. It is however a forum so things can get a tad barbed in tone.

Try a Reset

Whenever a taxi driver attempts to take me on a 3 hour tour of the best road in Bangkok instead of my normal 5 minute journey, I fight down the urge to strangle the living sh????t out them.. Instead when I can, I drive to my ancient aunty in-laws farm to clear weeds and help with anything overgrown for the day.

Sure, it's exhausting, hot and you get laughed at a lot by the relatives and neighbours but there is something to be said for physical labour to clear mind and body. The body clearing part is from the overdoing it in the sun and somehow getting diarrhea from heat exposure.

Stay hydrated people.

- the number of times I get scammed by taxi drivers ensures the fields remain clear for most of the year. bastards -

Edited by fondue zoo

3 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Dress appropriately when you go into a restaurant. Instead of being a grubby filthy fool.

Sorry those are not my only two options but apparently you wake up a grubby filthy fool.

• Haha 1