Bangkok municipal pupils can wear hair styles and clothes of their choice

webfact

Progress of a sort. 

However this seems to only be in the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has decided to allow students in the 437 schools under its supervision to choose their own hair styles and to wear casual dress at least one day a week.

Not as a general rule of schools under the Min of Ed, yet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

In an unprecedented move, following increasing calls for freedom and liberties in schools, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has decided to allow students in the 437 schools under its supervision to choose their own hair styles and to wear casual dress at least one day a week.

Hallelujah.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The original rules, imposed by the Education Ministry, state that the hair of male students must be cut evenly short, with hair on the front not exceeding 3cm in length. Female students must have their hair cut evenly up to the earlobes for junior high school students and 4cm below their earlobes for senior high school students.

Hardly an unprecedented move!

Maybe they were the original rules but they were changed maybe 8 to10 years ago.

At that time individual schools were still allowed to make their own rules though.

Oh here we go You daughter or son coming home and wanting expensive clothes because that is the trend right now. I have been through it with 4 daughters 

Would like to see the Scout thing hit the bin as no one even knows who Baden Powel was 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itsallmine68 said:

Oh here we go You daughter or son coming home and wanting expensive clothes because that is the trend right now. I have been through it with 4 daughters 

Would like to see the Scout thing hit the bin as no one even knows who Baden Powel was 

His Father was a Priest. Baden liked to take boys in the woods camping. :whistling::unsure::whistling:

...."...The original rules, imposed by the Education Ministry, state that the hair of male students must be cut evenly short, with hair on the front not exceeding 3cm in length. Female students must have their hair cut evenly up to the earlobes for junior high school students and 4cm below their earlobes for senior high school students...."....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

6 hours ago, jcmj said:

As much as kids hate uniforms, they are cheaper than going out and buying them all sorts of clothes to wear. Plus they will want to wear what is the latest fashion trend, which is always changing, and that will cost even more. If the parents can’t afford the new clothes then the kids may be laughed at and teased.  I think they should still wear a uniform, but only 1 style instead of a different outfit for each day. I agree that they should be able to wear their hair as they wish. I hated to have my son come home with a teacher’s note saying it must be shorter by tomorrow or he will be penalized. Crazy and I don’t agree with military cuts for kids, unless that’s what they want. JMO 

When I was a teacher, I entered my classroom one day to find most of the boys absent, when I made enquiries, I was told they were taken for compulsary hair cuts as their hair was deemed too long.

They returned with their heads shaved way above their ears. IMO that was a ridiculous way to treat young boys.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, itsallmine68 said:

Who??

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, webfact said:

In an unprecedented move, following increasing calls for freedom and liberties in schools, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has decided to allow students in the 437 schools under its supervision to choose their own hair styles and to wear casual dress at least one day a week.

Progressivism for progressivism's sake.  Not everything that has been around for a long time is automatically bad.

There are a lot of benefits to school uniforms.  The arguments against them are fairly shallow and materialistic.

9 hours ago, David Whitemore said:

Uniforms yes I agree but hair style no the government shouldn't dictate on a child hair style

So half their head shaved and died pink?  Hair styles that require constant upkeep?  Boys with shoulder length hair?  Girls competing to have the nicest hair style?  Group affiliation based on haircut? 

Those are fine?  No distractions?  No impact on discipline?