antibiotics ear/eye

h90

Had a strong pain in the ear....most probably infection.

Looked up some ear drops with antibiotics....pharmacy had nothing....I asked what they had.

The pharmacist put into the computer and spoke english

infection-bacterial-ear-outer

And gave me a product called Cravit 0.5% Levofloxacin.

Worked perfectly

I thought just in case we get flooded again (water comes up the toilets/Sewer) I better have something like that on stock.

And when I looked I saw the words "Ophthalmic Solution"....Ophtsomething is eye not ear.

Did they give me something complete wrong, or maybe it doesn't matter...antibiotics solution can be used universal?

Because if it matters I want to stock some ear drops as well

10 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I am not a doctor, but I have been given eye drops for ear issues and ear drops for eye issues in different pharmacies

Complaints went away

Thank you! I thought that might be the case...a pharmacist would know what ophthalmic solution mean....

I have been given this eye ointment from both government and private hospitals in Thailand and similar from Australian hospitals to use on my skin ,as an antibacterial, when recovering from larger biopsies.

Cogetine is difficult to store as shelf life is not extensive

40 baht at pharmacy 

IMG_20230629_131036.jpg

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is a strong steroid,  often not indicated for local infections,  combined with a local antibiotic notorious for provoking allergies. 

Levofloxacin eye drops are generally much preferable. 

Yes, eye drops can be used for the ear. 

But why you need that in case you are flooded? Do you wash your eyes and ears in the waste water coming up the sewers? Do you bathe in the waste water?

I was just demonstrating that there are drops that can be used for both. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is a strong steroid,  often not indicated for local infections,  combined with a local antibiotic notorious for provoking allergies. 

Levofloxacin eye drops are generally much preferable. 

Yes, eye drops can be used for the ear. 

But why you need that in case you are flooded? Do you wash your eyes and ears in the waste water coming up the sewers? Do you bathe in the waste water?

"Do you bathe in the waste water?"

Yes.....

in 2011 outside was about 1.5 meter water and inside we controlled it for about 20cm with pumps...having to walk thru it every 1-2 hours to check everything is OK. (we have there 4 CNC lathes that can't be moved (several tons each in the middle of the building)). For about 1-1.5 month (can't remember with waking up every 1-2 hours I lost track of time).

I had there an accident falling and got complete submerged...even my head...but didn't got anything.

Neighbor woman, liked to walk thru the water and got a nasty skin infection....looked like a strawberry cake all over her body. Luckily the army helped her, picked her up and brought to a doctor.
We had all the food and water stocked up, as we know it comes. But at that time we had no medicine.....need the basics, coal tablets, antibiotic creme, antibiotic tables, painkiller, Vitamins at home. It is all stored at 5-8 degree in the vegetable area of the fridge.
And the costs of having it at home are minimal.....if we never need it, even better.

• Like 1

I would suggest that levofloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic has inherent problems as every time you use these antibiotics it can lead to more susceptibility to having extreme side effects such as peripheral neuropathy, ruptured hamstrings etc.

Tobrex (tobramycin) is a safer antibiotic and can be just as effective.

It is used for treating ears also.

Sometimes Tobrex is sold combined with a steroid dexamethasone and sold as Tobradex but steroids also can have strong side effects and possibly it is not necessary.

I agree don't use DexOph for that reason unless prescribed.

Nevertheless I suggest you consult a medical professional.

Peripheral Neuropathy Associated With Fluoroquinolone Exposure is Time and Dose Dependent (neurologylive.com)

Ofloxacin vs tobramycin for the treatment of external ocular infection. Ofloxacin Study Group II - PubMed (nih.gov)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest that levofloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic has inherent problems as every time you use these antibiotics it can lead to more susceptibility to having extreme side effects such as peripheral neuropathy, ruptured hamstrings etc.

Tobrex (tobramycin) is a safer antibiotic and can be just as effective.

It is used for treating ears also.

Sometimes Tobrex is sold combined with a steroid dexamethasone and sold as Tobradex but steroids also can have strong side effects and possibly it is not necessary.

I agree don't use DexOph for that reason unless prescribed.

Nevertheless I suggest you consult a medical professional.

Peripheral Neuropathy Associated With Fluoroquinolone Exposure is Time and Dose Dependent (neurologylive.com)

Ofloxacin vs tobramycin for the treatment of external ocular infection. Ofloxacin Study Group II - PubMed (nih.gov)

Thanks...maybe I put a Tobradex on stock...Just for the case of emergency.....not intending to use it....Thank you for the informations on levofloxacin...

43 minutes ago, h90 said:

Thanks...maybe I put a Tobradex on stock...Just for the case of emergency.....not intending to use it....Thank you for the informations on levofloxacin...

I had a strong allergic reaction to Tobradex and now always avoid dexamethasone.

Recently used prescribed Tobrex 3 times daily for the month following eye surgery and had no issues.

There are very good reasons why antibiotics/steroids are prescribed only by doctors in the west.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I had a strong allergic reaction to Tobradex and now always avoid dexamethasone.

Recently used prescribed Tobrex 3 times daily for the month following eye surgery and had no issues.

There are very good reasons why antibiotics/steroids are prescribed only by doctors in the west.

You most probably know....but I can't believe me eyes every time I see it.....

Like staff goes to the doc for having some LIGHT cold (they still come to work (at least before Covid)) and come back with 5 different tablets...

antibiotics, pain killer, something to sleep better, something to clear mucus, something to unblock the nose.

Whatever the problem they throw in an antibiotics....And they eat that all.....

I swim every day and, unless I'm careful cleaning out my ears afterwards, I sometimes get swimmer's ear, which is just a minor infection in the outer ear canal, but which can be quite painful all the same. I've been using Opsardex for years, it's readily available, cheap and effective. I've never tried using it in my eyes, but it says that they're ear and eye drops. They're not excessively strong so safe to use, if Opsardex doesn't get rid of the problem then best to go and see a doctor and get them to give you something appropriate that's more powerful.

Opsardex.jpg.332eaabd9ccb896dbc86ed2f48e5af6d.jpg

• Love It 1

Lordy - go to a doctor - ENT (Ears-Nose-Throat)/Otolaryngologist and get it checked out.  If prescribed meds, use the prescription and then purchase those med OTC if you need them again.  If you don't know the difference between otolaryngology and ophthalmology, best not to self-prescribe.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I swim every day and, unless I'm careful cleaning out my ears afterwards, I sometimes get swimmer's ear, which is just a minor infection in the outer ear canal, but which can be quite painful all the same. I've been using Opsardex for years, it's readily available, cheap and effective. I've never tried using it in my eyes, but it says that they're ear and eye drops. They're not excessively strong so safe to use, if Opsardex doesn't get rid of the problem then best to go and see a doctor and get them to give you something appropriate that's more powerful.

Opsardex.jpg.332eaabd9ccb896dbc86ed2f48e5af6d.jpg

I would suggest that Opsardex is virtually the same as DexOph. 'Dex' indicates dexamethasone which is a corticosteroid.

I used to swim daily and used earplugs or 50/50 alcohol/vinegar drops and never had swimmer's ear for over 30 years after my first episode.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:25 PM, NextG said:

94E53035-E604-4B97-B224-50CE013FD0E2.jpeg.c28d6cb2a68e75fe8b72e8514828b593.jpeg

I was very successful with these drops when our dog had problems with his eyes after a discussion with a spitting cobra. After about two days (applied three times a day) he could see again without any problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:21 AM, h90 said:

You should never use antibiotics for eyes or ears without seeing a docteur ! You can do big damage , so always see a Dr first. I was told this by my pharmacist in France when I wanted to buy some for my travels in case, and confirmed by my doctor. I trust them much more than any Thai pharmacy .

13 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

I was very successful with these drops when our dog had problems with his eyes after a discussion with a spitting cobra. After about two days (applied three times a day) he could see again without any problems.

These drops contain and would be extremely dangerous to use in presence of bacterial or fungal infection.

So considerable caution needed.  Best not self-prescribe.

• Thanks 1

I had regular ear infections and tried all the drops there are including the one posted above and the only one that works is this one.  Works best if you get a thin strand of cotton stuffed down the ear canal and soaked with the product.  I always keep a bottle in stock because it can be hard to find locally.  Lazada has it. .This is the same way the doctor treated me.  To avoid the infection completely I have a small squirt bottle filled with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.  I flush my ear with that after a swim in the pool or sea.  

1688442781623.jpg

19 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

I had regular ear infections and tried all the drops there are including the one posted above and the only one that works is this one.  Works best if you get a thin strand of cotton stuffed down the ear canal and soaked with the product.  I always keep a bottle in stock because it can be hard to find locally.  Lazada has it. .This is the same way the doctor treated me.  To avoid the infection completely I have a small squirt bottle filled with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.  I flush my ear with that after a swim in the pool or sea.  

1688442781623.jpg

My previous last ear infection was 2002......suddenly it hurt....put in the other antibiotics and within a day it was gone....So I just keep stock....

I would take amoxicillin rather than ear drops.  If your ear gets totally infected and is not treated the infection can kill off the nerve endings and you end up deaf...get yourself to a doctor right away as being deaf is not a lot of fun especially when a simple antibiotic can likely prevent it.

10 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I would take amoxicillin rather than ear drops.  If your ear gets totally infected and is not treated the infection can kill off the nerve endings and you end up deaf...get yourself to a doctor right away as being deaf is not a lot of fun especially when a simple antibiotic can likely prevent it.

yes or you can get some bigger problem on the membrane.....That why I didn't wait if it goes away on itself, or wasted time with some doc. And put antibiotics drops in immediately....a day later it was good, and did not come back.

I have several different antibiotics at home, keep them till they are a few years over expiration and than throw them away.....I really avoid taking them unless absolute necessary. Which is basically never the case.

If the ear pain wouldn't be gone in 2 days I would have gone to a doc....

10 hours ago, pomchop said:

There is a great difference between external otitis (infection of the outer ear) and otitis media (infection of the inner eat). External otitis can be treated with ear drops alone and cannot cause hearing loss.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a great difference between external otitis (infection of the outer ear) and otitis media (infection of the inner eat). External otitis can be treated with ear drops alone and cannot cause hearing loss.

yep i had internal and ended up deaf as doc did not prescribe proper anti biotic after stapedectomy...

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

yep i had internal and ended up deaf as doc did not prescribe proper anti biotic after stapedectomy...

Things like that are the reason why I want to have basic medication at home....if we are flooded again for 1.5 month with difficult transportation (in case of our sick neighbor, the army helped....can't repeat that often enough, when everyone is bashing the Thai army...whenever there were problems they were there and helped), if someone get terrible ear pain, it is safer to self medicate than do nothing for days. And if we don't need to use them, even better....

At this time, the wife of the security guard, walked in less deep water and the cover of a sewer hole on the side walk was missing......she complete submerged into the sewer dirty water, came out of it again without drowning or broken bones.....had <deleted>water in all body openings (beside mouth/ears/eyes, I can guess it is not so great in the female parts).....she laughed it off and got nothing. From all kind of virus to bacteria in that waste water......zero problems.