Green snake startles Thai classroom, valiant rescue ensues

snoop1130

aIMG_2236.jpg

In an unusual turn of events, a green snake took refuge in a Thai classroom, catching the horrified attendees by surprise. It was only with the arrival of local rescue teams that the smooth capture of the intruding reptile took place. No harm was inflicted upon the students or faculty during the unexpected incident. The incident took place at Pon Thong Pattana Wittaya School, located in Sranokkaew, Pon Thong, Roi Et Province.

Today at around noon, the emergency unit of Jao Pu Kud Peng rescue foundation received a distress call from a teacher. She reported an unidentified snake lingering around the classroom door. The volunteers rushed to the incident site immediately.

The rescue unit prepared its gear and set out for the mission. One female rescue worker took the challenge in her stride, donning gloves to handle the snake in a bare-handed catch. However, the green snake was caught off guard lashed out and bit tightly onto the glove, refusing to let go. A careful extraction process followed.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: Picture courtesy of Sanook

#news

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/green-snake-startles-pon-thong-school-valiant-rescue-ensues-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Except the one that kills you... best to tell the kids to keep away from snakes and report it to the local snake catchers.

Mis-identification can be serious.

Yes with the kids,,, AND by this reasoning also teach your dogs to stay away..... But must say these "newspapers" have a way of finding national news... 5555.... A simple protected even, ratsnake.. These ratsnakes are everywhere all the time, so absolutely no news.... But I guess it is better news than this freaking stupid "climat-change" crap that "our" media do all the time in ouyr falang-countries...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Schools should educate kids to recognise snakes.  Most are harmless.

Yup.

The one in the picture looks like a juvenile golden tree snake to me.

Harmless to humans although bite can hurt similar to a hornet sting.

Edited by Muhendis
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Yesterday we were called next door by a worker who found a very dangerous snake. It was trapped in some discarded plastic netting and could not move. The FIL wanted to kill it but the wife said that it looked at her and she wanted it released. Cut the plastic netting from around the snake (taking precautions of course) and it slivered off into the bush. It was a completely harmless copper headed racer but the Thai man insisted it was deadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Except the one that kills you... best to tell the kids to keep away from snakes and report it to the local snake catchers.

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO I agree the children and teacher should learn to recognise the snake. That doesn't mean they should be careless. Even non-venomous snakes can have a nasty bite. Leave the handling to the professionals with the proper equipment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

That’s not entirely true. There are some 150 different species of snake in Thailand, of which about 50 are ‘mildly’ venomous, and another 50 are really venomous and dangerous. So only about 50 are not venomous and harmless.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

She reported an unidentified snake lingering around the classroom

when police arrived the sanke said he forgot to wear his pants..hence no place to keep his ID

I was once startled by a thai snake......what I thought was a pretty gal turned out to be a ladyboy

happy friday gents! ????

3 hours ago, blackshadow said:

all green snakes are harmless are they NOT

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but in case any readers think that is correct I think it's best to confirm that some green snakes are not harmless, including the green pit viper which can be found here in Thailand and could easily be confused with the golden tree snake.

Whilst rarely fatal, you wouldn't want to be bitten by one.

image.png.a392ee0ad44f3a8086296738c3277b96.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO I agree the children and teacher should learn to recognise the snake.

They should ,snakes and any other dangers,

but still I don't want my children deciding what is a good snake or one that would kill them , Why? Because they are children and children are known to not be very responsible. 

I totally agree with hotchilli , His advice is good advice. 

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO I agree the children and teacher should learn to recognise the snake. That doesn't mean they should be careless. Even non-venomous snakes can have a nasty bite. Leave the handling to the professionals with the proper equipment.

I acknowledge your opinion.

IMHO teach them Maths & English...

24 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

That’s not entirely true. There are some 150 different species of snake in Thailand, of which about 50 are ‘mildly’ venomous, and another 50 are really venomous and dangerous. So only about 50 are not venomous and harmless.

I do not know where you got your numbers from. But there is about 300 different species here in Thailand.... Around 15% of them are venamous to different degrees, and out of those 15%, only 5% are deadly venamous...... On top of that, most of these last 5% are living their lives at night, and hiding during the day.....

Edited by glegolo18
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sounds like you've got the same attitude as the locals.  I'm not suggesting kids start picking up snakes, but that they abandon the idea that all snakes are out to kill you.  No need to panic & kill them like the Thais often do.  Just give them space & leave them alone.

5 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Please list them.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:01 PM, Jeff the Chef said:

Tastes like chicken had a dish of some fried up a few night's ago after one of the locals caught it, know idea what it was but was ok to eat.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:31 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Please list them.

1..Trouser Snake.....friendly and non venomous ????

On 6/30/2023 at 7:53 AM, Muhendis said:

Yup.

The one in the picture looks like a juvenile golden tree snake to me.

Harmless to humans although bite can hurt similar to a hornet sting.

My thai Gf will confirm my snake is friendly and semi-harmless..due to its size   ????