Outgoing PM calls for peaceful and prompt transition of power

webfact

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

And postponed it will be and delayed and all to keep him in power. He calls for a peaceful and prompt transition, but in reality there are sources who will do everything to prevent a civil Government.. I think that the military want to have at least one or two parties in the Government, but the people of Thailand were very clear that they don't want that. So delay and postpone everything you can and how long it can be done just to keep the power

Really?...parliament makes a majority of parties people did want....There was no "checkmark party you don't want" on the ballot.

Everything >50% in parliament is something the people wanted

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s caretaker PM has called for the formation of a new government to be peaceful and prompt. Asked if he’ll try for another term as PM if he gets the backing of MPs and senators, Prayut Chan-o-cha insists he will not.

Bye... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I doubt that it's Prayut with his foot on the brakes at the moment. No substantial reason for him to cling on once the new PM & Cabinet are nominated. Anything he decides now as acting PM has neither credibility nor staying-power.

Which I suspect he well understands.

Its never been about credibility, and never been about the greater good of the country, all about personal gain. keeping his foot on the brakes gives him more time to gain what he can for himself

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, edwinchester said:

Except of course the 250 military appointed senators who can veto the people's choice of PM.

250 individuals....who have different opinions and can influence a vote....they can't block an overwhelming majority. No veto power...just votes.

That this senator construct is bad: I agree on that. But it is constitution.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

You've been taking too much of Anuthin's devil's lettuce 

I hear from all sides harsh rhetoric...one poster here...forgot which one, often calls for violence. But I see that also on the Russia-Ukraine conflict or Covid....people are much more aggressive than a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the new Government should act immediately to remove the Military and Police unelected Gorvernors that The General installed to keep him in power. They are the main obstacle to peaceful transition. Then go after The General and buddies for unlawful mimitary coup to grab power from a legally elected Government.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

What a sweet mouth speech. But if you look closely, these are all just empty phrases. He consistently avoids naming names and parties. He is not ready to publicly analyze or present the current situation. That there is a coalition of 8 parties that represents a large majority in Parliament. Not a word from him about that. He also doesn't like the word democracy. He seems like a bad loser who's still secretly hoping for a miracle.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bannork said:

From Wikipedia -

The 250-person Senate is composed of 194 members selected by the ruling junta. Fifty senators represent 10 professional and social groups: bureaucrats, teachers, judges, farmers, and private companies. A shortlist of 200 were proposed to the NCPO which made the final selection of fifty. The remaining six Senate positions are reserved for the supreme commander of the Armed Forces, the defence permanent secretary, the national police chief, and the heads of the army, navy, and air force, who are all senators ex officio.[4] As of 2020, military or police officers make up the Senate

On this we agree....that senator thing is really bad. If you want a senate like that, you can fill it with retired judges, buerocrates, former PMs, labor union or something similar and from the 250 (I would guess 100 are enough) there could be 1 from the military.

And that constitution was written before the Marijuana got legal...And there are several other things in it that sloppy or nonsense.

27 minutes ago, generealty said:

I think the new Government should act immediately to remove the Military and Police unelected Gorvernors that The General installed to keep him in power. They are the main obstacle to peaceful transition. Then go after The General and buddies for unlawful mimitary coup to grab power from a legally elected Government.

at the time of the coup there was no legally elected government. The government was a caretaker government that was expired already and was unlawful in power.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Really?...parliament makes a majority of parties people did want....There was no "checkmark party you don't want" on the ballot.

Everything >50% in parliament is something the people wanted

I am not sure the people wanted the last Government

• Thumbs Up 1