Don Mueang airport’s escalator accident not caused by poor maintenance

webfact

3 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Not saying this unfortunate lady did, but it seems most people are looking into their mobile phone's and not enough attention to what's going on around them nowadays.

The aot did not published the CCTV movie ...

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nowhere did it say that the bolt was loose, it said that it failed as a result of a foreign object getting into the mechanism.   Why don't you, and so many others, quote what was actually reported instead of making up your false own versions?

You might also, in your words, 'quote what was actually reported'.   Which was: 'the accident might (my emphasis) have been caused by a small object falling into the end of the escalator'.  You left out 'might' in your quote--an important word to omit because it indicates uncertainty as to the cause. 

The article then says:  'He said that a floor panel was found to have fallen under the escalator, indicating that the bolt which attaches the floor to the escalating rail had failed.'   So, there's certainty that the bolt failed, but no certainty that the small object was the cause of the bolt failing--just the speculative 'might'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

can be that the bolt holds forever.....If it is not a maintenance issue than it is a design issue...which would be even worse. In my opinion such things must be designed that even in the worst malfunction no one get hurt....only the system get stuck. For sure now I'll walk with my legs again.....Not useing that mechanical people eaters again...

Very true. If the AOT officials are given a choice of:

Option #1. Decent quality materials that will "likely last 30 years if well maintained". 

Or:

Option #2. Half the cost, lower quality materials, and it will more than likely last a long time. 

Which option do you think these guys would select? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The report did not say that the an emergency stop took 20 seconds, it said that the walkway stopped automatically after 20 seconds.

Travelators and escalators are equipped with a power detector which detects when the system is forced to deliver more power than designed in normal use (an object blocking the travelator, a misalignment of the steps, etc.).
In such cases, the power is switched OFF to avoid further damages to the installation.
Same technique is used un elevators to detect if the maximum weight is passed.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Option #1. Decent quality materials that will "likely last 30 years if well maintained". 

Or:

Option #2. Half the cost, lower quality materials, and it will more than likely last a long time. 

I think that you are forgetting how most big companies work.
AOT pays HITACHI for the installation AND the maintenance of the travelators.
So, IF anybody should be sued, it would be HITACHI and not AOT.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

There is a theory that human development took a quantum leap forward when our brains developed the ability to envision/project the course of future events and how a situation might unfold. Planning a bison hunt is an example.

However, my observation is that forward thinking is a cultural deficit here. I see it in their their stubborn insistence on living completely in the moment with disdain for conjecture or thought of the future.

Clearly this is not an evolutionarily successful adaptation.

Forward thinking seems to got lost in the last generation.
That's why you see warnings like "Don't drink the battery fluid" on batteries and other warnings you would never had think about 30 years ago.
Sad but true.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Or:

Either a) I think they buy it somewhere, and I guess there are ridiculous service intervals....overly careful intervals, just to prevent some extreme rare events....And no one follows them.

b) Instead of the original spare parts they install same same from Somchai who is cheaper and gives 10%. ...... We have such a customer high tech machine parts replaced with backyard spare parts which may work but cause problems somewhere else. Such parts can cost irrational high prices.

And most of the time it still works fine.....

At a machine that may kill someone you can't do that......Some filling machine that than spill fruit juice over the floor...OK, but not there.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That is a suitcase, so why is she in possession of it at that location in the airport.

It is common to see suitcases like that carried onto planes, despite the rules. And, as far as weight restrictions are concerned, in Thailand it might depend on your nationality. A Thai friend of mine was returning to Germany and was allowed her 65 kilos of luggage through to her THAI flight with no surcharge made. I cannot imagine I being allowed the same. In fact, I was once charged for 3 kilos overweight by United to Tokyo.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I think that you are forgetting how most big companies work.
AOT pays HITACHI for the installation AND the maintenance of the travelators.
So, IF anybody should be sued, it would be HITACHI and not AOT.

You assume AOT are telling the truth of course, myself I would trust a Japanese company over a Thai institution any day when it comes to transparency. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fdimike said:

It looks like a moving walkway to me rather than an escalator which normally moves people up/down from one floor to another.  I think there's something amiss in this report.

I think they are called Travelators

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I don't believe that a little thing like a suitcase wheel can do so much damage ,If so that means that the moving walkway is Pretty weak and if they are all the same they need to be scrapped and better stronger ones put in place to make sure that people are Safe. no Excuses.

During work at my previous company, I was ordered to design a "complete monkey proof" pallet wrapper.

The engineering team put their heads together and designed a pallet wrapper that was enclosed by a cage and could not work if the cage was open or the operator was inside the cage.

A few weeks later we ware called because there was an accident with the wrapper.

The operator had disabled all security devices and had entered the wrapper while it was running.

Luckily for the operator someone pushed the emergency stop and nothing really nasty happened.

Never underestimate the mind of a stupid.

Nothing can be fool proof for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

During work at my previous company, I was ordered to design a "complete monkey proof" pallet wrapper.

The engineering team put their heads together and designed a pallet wrapper that was enclosed by a cage and could not work if the cage was open or the operator was inside the cage.

A few weeks later we ware called because there was an accident with the wrapper.

The operator had disabled all security devices and had entered the wrapper while it was running.

Luckily for the operator someone pushed the emergency stop and nothing really nasty happened.

Never underestimate the mind of a stupid.

Nothing can be fool proof for them.

And it is a balance. One of our CNC machines is so safe that some adjustments are almost impossible to do. When it get impossible the people start to push something into the doorswitch.....That need some engineering team that has experience with the work itself. A solution would be with open door/cage there is a speed limit of 5%. So you can fix something on a running machine without getting shredded to pieces. Our tool changing turret has that...looks like a slow motion video.

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

???????? right, then it's not a "poor maintainable" it is called

"poor regular inspection", if there is any. It will be Inspected when someone lose leg/legs ? 
it sounds like somebody wants to save a face that is already lost. ???? 

Right! Accidents don't just happen, they are caused, usually by a chain of events!

If this 'bolt' had not failed, no accident, why did it fail???? I don't know, but it did!

21 minutes ago, h90 said:

but could be that Hitachi had a subcontractor here....with all Thai and close to some important people to get these contracts

I strongly doubt that Hitachi would have their own engineers doing the maintenance.

The Thai labour laws do not allowing foreigners to do a job that a Thai can do.

Hitachi can learn Thai people to do the maintenance and then leave it to the Thai.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, h90 said:

but could be that Hitachi had a subcontractor here....with all Thai and close to some important people to get these contracts

No subcontractor. Hitachi have a large presence in Thailand. Hundreds of lifts and escalators. Management is mainly Japanese (few foreign engineers) and the actual techs for maintenance are all Thai (as are the installation teams, but that is normally subcontracted--but still Thai).

13 hours ago, findlay13 said:

"As such, it is unlikely that poor maintenance was the cause of the accident, claimed Boonpong."

We will soon be hearing it was completely the lady's fault and she will need to pay for all the expenses incurred.????

most likely the repair cost as well

9 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Despite that the accident was caused by the lady herself, the AOT promly said that that would fully compensate her and offered their excuses to the lady for what happened.

Almost every national and international news report are stating the same:
The accident was caused by the wheel of the suit case came off and jammed the end of the walkway. The lady was hit by the suit case, causing her to fell backwards and her leg followed the broken wheels. Not sure if she was on her phone at the time of the accident.

This was recorded on CCTV cameras as proof.

So, YES, for me it was a case of negligence of the lady.

You can make a mechanical device "Monkey Proof" and out all possible signals to signal a possible  dangerous situation, there will always be someone who has not reach the intelligence of the Monkeys.

Same with the child who get his foot trapped in the walkaway.
Poor parenting.

Shall we blame from now on all the car accidents to poor design and poor maintenance of the roads and the cars instead of blaming the car accidents to the bad driver skills, the speed and most of them the alcohol level in their blood?

Travelators should be safe for use by the stupid, the badly laden, intoxicated etc.  there is no requirement for a minimum level of competence for riding a travelator, unlike controlling a 2-tonne high speed vehicle in the public street, for which a minimum competence is expected.

Staying alert, controlling your baggage and looking where you are going is always good advice, but regardless of any contribution of the victim, the travelator comb plate should have ensured safety from major incident.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Travelators should be safe for use by the stupid, the badly laden, intoxicated etc.  there is no requirement for a minimum level of competence for riding a travelator, unlike controlling a 2-tonne high speed vehicle in the public street, for which a minimum competence is expected.

Staying alert, controlling your baggage and looking where you are going is always good advice, but regardless of any contribution of the victim, the travelator comb plate should have ensured safety from major incident.

Before blaming any people or any mechanical device we need to know if the travelator was blessed by the monks.

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Who said anything about her falling forward?

Mr. Dome I am speaking as an engineer for almost all of my career with a strong suit in trouble shooting.

Her pink suitcase was lying beside with the wheels broken off. I would hazard that it was the wheels that jammed the travelator and consider this to be the only possible explanation for this accident.

Come up with a more plausible explanation if you can. I would welcome your input.

P. S. Please read Dr. B's account before replying.

"Tripping over" something often leads to people falling forward, that's all.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Despite that the accident was caused by the lady herself, the AOT promly said that that would fully compensate her and offered their excuses to the lady for what happened.

Almost every national and international news report are stating the same:
The accident was caused by the wheel of the suit case came off and jammed the end of the walkway. The lady was hit by the suit case, causing her to fell backwards and her leg followed the broken wheels. Not sure if she was on her phone at the time of the accident.

This was recorded on CCTV cameras as proof.

So, YES, for me it was a case of negligence of the lady.

You can make a mechanical device "Monkey Proof" and out all possible signals to signal a possible  dangerous situation, there will always be someone who has not reach the intelligence of the Monkeys.

Same with the child who get his foot trapped in the walkaway.
Poor parenting.

Shall we blame from now on all the car accidents to poor design and poor maintenance of the roads and the cars instead of blaming the car accidents to the bad driver skills, the speed and most of them the alcohol level in their blood?

Your view of people is rather negative, isn't it?

Blaming her for her roll-a-board having a mechanical issue & calling that "negligence", stopping short of blaming her for having had luggage at all (because in the words of another poster, these things aren't designed for it & yet another "it looks rather big". What?! Have you flown much?).

Is it too much to expect that even if a small plastic object gets caught by the teeth (already an unlikely outcome as it should just get pushed off and not catch) at the end, that object gets chewed up but the metal parts of a travelator remain sturdy and in place? Apparently not ????????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You echo my previous take on this incident ( not accident because accidents are unavoidable ) and your last paragraph would be the opinion of a judge at a compensation claim hearing . In summary the failed mechanics and lack of maintenance were the route of the tragedy , especially the weak looking yellow combs that are there to prevent any foreign object entering the mechanics . This lady needs to get a top lawyer and sue A.O.T. for maximum compensation .

• Thumbs Up 1